The importance of sex

When I am with my fiance I am the most able to be vulnerable because I feel safe. It's kind of backwards from how I expected it would be, but I think since I know I am safe with him, I allow myself to feel fears/flashbacks etc around him.

Rabbit,

That's exactly how I felt. It took a long time for DW to understand that, and maybe he doesn't completely even now. It really makes sense to me now.

There was of course all the NRE and accompanying excitement / anxiety that comes with a new partner and I think that can temporarily block out the tendency to have those negative feelings because you can only feel so many things at once.

That's an interesting theory about why the negative feelings don't occur at once. I'm not sure it fit for me. I think it was that I wouldn't "burden", or expect him to carry the "heavy stuff" until I felt safe that he was sticking around for a while. Also, I had a situation where my very obvious non-verbal discomfort was completely ignored, so until I felt safe with him, I wasn't going to trust him with the notion that sometimes I am not able to articulate my fears and/or needs.

Unfortunately it does seem unfair to my fiance who has helped me get to the point where I am, but it is because I love and trust him so much, and trust that he will not hurt me when I am in a vulnerable state, that I can show that part of myself around him.

I know what you are saying, but I am trying really hard not to look at it as unfair. I spent years trying to minimize the effects of the abuse I endured on DW only to have that backfire in a huge way. What wasn't fair was the abuse and by committing to me, DW took that on as well whether either of us realized it. That sounds harsh, but really it is that I am trying to remind myself of this; that I am not being unfair or a burden, but that the experiences of my past are a part of our relationship.

(It turned out that our girlfriend was very negative and unkind about the things I did open up about, but that's another story)

That's terrible, Rabbit!!! I'm really sorry to hear that.

Anyway, it sounds like everyone involved is doing a great job communicating and I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much!!!! The same to you!!!!

Christie

Side bar question

I know the title of this thread relates to the importance of sex. But what about the importance of sexual diversity? How much of a factor is desiring different sexual experiences in wanting multiple partners?

I love sexual diversity but it is not a driving force in my realtionships. My sexual highs come from conection as opposed to the nature of the act or a different body to experience. I'm bringing this up because a friend recently cheated on his partner. On the surface it seems like there was no connection there, but it was purely physically driven. He identifies as poly but was this really an act of a repressed poly nature, or a catalyst to creat change?

Just wondering if this is worth exploring :)

what about the importance of sexual diversity? How much of a factor is desiring different sexual experiences in wanting multiple partners?

Yeah, I totally think that this is an interesting question. I'm finding it really hard to answer, though.

I suppose that I would be sad if I were to somehow know for certain that I would never be with someone new again for the rest of my life. There's something really... powerful or rewarding or something about that experience. But I think that part of that experience is the, um, promise of an intimacy in the future; a new connection or relationship.

So what I'm trying to say, I guess, is that I wouldn't be really any more interested in a classic open relationship where one-night stands were allowed (but no emotional relationships) than I would be with monogamy.

So what I'm trying to say, I guess, is that I wouldn't be really any more interested in a classic open relationship where one-night stands were allowed (but no emotional relationships) than I would be with monogamy.

Thanks for that insight. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting diversity in people to experience. I just struggle with the idea that sometimes the motivation is misunderstood.
Thanks again

Egads! So many responses to reply to it feels overwhelming! How do y'all find the time?? (and I only have one relationship to focus on :)

Hopefully I'll figure out this quote thing and be able to respond that way...

-DW

Ok… focusing on page 1 here… other pages to follow…

This seems to be a lot to do with his trust in your telling him he is who you want to be with and that you are satisfied in your sexual connection with him.
Honestly, he has to trust you in this fact. You can't convince him of it, he has to believe it. Either by time and build trust, or...just give over to the love he feels for you and you feel for him :)
Yes, I think this is true. I do think it has another dimension though in him not understanding why I need more than what he can provide. And it's not that I do, necessarily; I view it as an expression of my feelings for the other men in my life.
Thanks!
Christie
Ariakas. I admit I originally glossed over your reply initially, but upon reading it found it simply well put... “you are satisfied in your sexual connection with him”… I believe that we do have an awesome connection. But what I find difficult believing is that it is completely “satisfying” to her. Because if it was, why the need for others? I feel I have done whatever she has asked of me and yet I have a sense it leaves her wanting more (even though Christie counters this by saying “And it's not that I do, necessarily”). For me, there’s a loss of pride there that I can’t “satisfy” her (kind of ‘all of a sudden’ – see next paragraph).

I think our history matters here. It feels like… 13 years of marriage and never a mention of this. Then Christie falls in love and has sex with R and realizes “I need more love and sex than my husband can give me”. (metaphor alert) I ran into a wall when I was a teenager (literally – had both wrists in casts) and this has a similar taste as that. Ooh, let’s keep the metaphor going… the docs patched me up, I healed, and I learned not to run into that wall again cuz damn it hurt like hell and took a long time to recover from. I do view this poly transition the same way. I feel like I've been smacked into a wall, but I can heal and figure out ways to deal with it. On the bright side, as opposed to the actual running into the wall incident, at least with poly, I can still wipe my own @ss.

Another of my issues (and I know it is *my* issue) is that I still cringe when I see “other men in my life” staring at me on the screen. I’m still getting used to that. And then the “view it (sex) as an expression of my feelings”… ugh. double cringe.

In order to really, truly have a relationship with my boyfriend, I need to be free to express how I feel in a way that feels natural and organic, not laden with rules and specifications. Even if that turns out to rarely mean sex, were the option not there, it wouldn't feel like I was *really* free to have a relationship with him. That's the best I can do at explaining why it matters.
I can appreciate this line of thinking and it is helpful for me to get this perspective. Christie has mentioned that she and R don’t always have sex when they get together for various reasons, many of which you pointed out. But she would prefer to have the option open. I certainly get that! If I was in her position I would feel the same way.
But my mono mindset kicks in and wonders truly how the relationship would be different. Would you really not be able to become close to this other person and love this person if you couldn’t have sex with them? For me, I feel I could. There have been plenty of dry spells in our marriage (see OP for reasons) and I never felt like my relationship was no longer “natural and organic”. There are many ways to be intimate. I prefer to reserve the ultimate forms of it for Christie. Just a different mindset I suppose.

I would prefer the idea of "most men" would flee, but in essence I agree. Your man is amazing :)
Yeah -- what Mono said. Treasure that guy.
Thanks for the kind words.
I feel the same about Christie – she is amazing and I treasure her.

For me, what happens during sex is apparent in what happens afterwards: pillow-talk is, for me, an order of magnitude more intimate and loving than any other communication with a human being. Trusting another person with my body creates a connection that nothing else rivals.

It's like two people learn to play all sorts of relationship music together. Light conversations and fun little tunes, serious discussion music, deeply emotional pieces. One way I think about lovemaking is that it's a particularly deep and satisfying music to make. If you get a lover who feels that way about it then they will want to learn that part of the repertoire with you. Not because they need to get their rocks off but because they want that deep emotional music.
To the first paragraph: Boy, did that hit home. I’m going to have to save this one. That is one part of it that really scares me. That Christie is going to be so vulnerable and so intimate with another man in a way that up to now she and I have only been. I certainly feel an ‘ownership’ of that. That Is Ours. Elmo and Barney won't be happy, but I don’t want to share that!! I cannot imagine ever wanting to be that intimate with someone else. And so it adds to the hurt that Christie does.

To the second paragraph: I don’t mind her making music, I just want it to be with my instrument. Sorry, that seemed too easy of a setup to pass up. In all seriousness though, I get the metaphor. And whenever it does get to that point, I do prefer any OSO’s to want the deep emotional music vs. just the need to get their rocks off.

-DW

Last edited:
. But what about the importance of sexual diversity? How much of a factor is desiring different sexual experiences in wanting multiple partners?

This is an interesting question to ponder, Mono, and I think it is related.

I love sexual diversity but it is not a driving force in my realtionships. My sexual highs come from conection as opposed to the nature of the act or a different body to experience.
I

My thoughts aren't fully formed on this, but I'd say nearly the same re: highs from connection vs the act. For me, it's always about connection, but I've discovered that connecting with others sexually is a possible positive in my life, something I had never thought possible (and there it is, a reason).

I can appreciate this line of thinking and it is helpful for me to get this perspective. Christie has mentioned that she and R don’t always have sex when they get together for various reasons, many of which you pointed out. But she would prefer to have the option open. I certainly get that! If I was in her position I would feel the same way.
But my mono mindset kicks in and wonders truly how the relationship would be different. Would you really not be able to become close to this other person and love this person if you couldn’t have sex with them? For me, I feel I could. There have been plenty of dry spells in our marriage (see OP for reasons) and I never felt like my relationship was no longer “natural and organic”. There are many ways to be intimate. I prefer to reserve the ultimate forms of it for Christie. Just a different mindset I suppose.

Again, I think the difference is that those dry spells you have experienced were due to the feelings/needs of that partner. It wasn't someone external to that relationship telling you and Christie that you weren't allowed to be intimate. For me, that's where the no longer natural and organic part comes in.

I love my boyfriend; our relationship is built much more on an emotional and intellectual connection than it is on sex. But I could have had an emotional and intellectual connection (and have, with many friends) with him before my marriage was poly. Even though sex is not a large part of our relationship, if it were off limits because those were the terms of my marriage, I wouldn't consider him my boyfriend. I wouldn't consider it a romantic relationship. I would consider it a very close friendship, and I would be longing for it to be more. It feels difficult to articulate, but for me, that sexual freedom is what draws the line between truly being poly, and having a mono situation where your partner doesn't mind you having close, emotional friendships but wouldn't want those friendships to be physically intimate. For me, truly being poly matters. And if it doesn't include the freedom to have sex, I can't really say I'm available for more than friendship.

SayYes,
Thank you for having to patience to post basically the same response three times. After reading all three in succession just now, I think I am starting to understand it. I think Christie feels similar to how you have put it. In my mind, your responses are answering the implied question of her original thread title. (not that others haven't been helpful too!)

We just have our differences at the moment. Christie wants the "truly poly" you described. And I want the "mono situation where your partner doesn't mind you having close, emotional friendships but wouldn't want those friendships to be physically intimate". She has been kind enough to allow my desire to be how things are for now until I feel I can process it all.

As for our own dry spells, I do view those as externally imposed by the @ssholes who thought they could have their way with a young girl/woman. If it weren't for them, likely Christie would not have associated all the negative feelings with sex. Whenever those would become too much is when we typically had to stop for a while.

-DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
- we struggle with intimacy our entire 15+ year relationship (due to the reasons in the op), but now it feels like it's all 'hey I am poly'... so some guy can come along, woo you for a couple months and now you're locking lips with him.

Franklin of xeromag discusses this here: http://tacit.livejournal.com/291799.html. I found it useful to read when I was thinking along the lines above.

Thanks for the link! And it was an interesting read. Maybe I'm just stubborn or not ready to be open to that train of thought right now, but I still disagree. I do agree that all of the effort poured into my marriage was never out of some expectation of great return, but my love for Christie. But at the same time, I never felt like it was going to be for another guy's benefit. When I met with a secondary and he said "Well, I am glad to have the 2010 model of Christie..." I wanted to smack him.

Just in general, I have always thought that the Little Red Hen was the only one who should be able to eat the bread.

-DW

Smack!

I would want to smack him too.

Even as a poly guy who feels very little jealousy, this struck me as so insensitive, and so disrespectful of the suffering you've both endured. Here's grasping at straws... is it possible he didn't mean it that way.

Anyhow, just sitting here at my computer, its hard to resist an urge to violence... but mostly toward the abusers.

Anotherbo :)

Just in general, I have always thought that the Little Red Hen was the only one who should be able to eat the bread.

-DW

I can certainly relate to that feeling/belief!! At the same time....healing is healing. The good news is that she has healed enough to be able to engage in healthier relationships, including those of a sexual nature. The "bad" news (in terms of the feelings you're struggling with) is that she has healed enough to be able to engage in healthier relationships, including those of a sexual nature, with more than one person.

I can believe that your intent was "pure" in terms of hanging in there, supporting her, helping her out, being with her through the tough times, because you genuinely love her.....not because you expected to be "rewarded". At the same time, of course you'd want the benefit of having a healthy sexual relationship with her. It's something that has been missing in your relationship. And since "poly" just came into the picture, you would have had no reason to even think about anyone else "benefiting" from the healing she has experienced. In all those years of struggles, it was a non-factor. (It would be kind of like "Damn, I finally get something I've been wanting all these years....and now you're telling me I have to share it?!)

I want to encourage you to be patient and gentle with yourself. You've had a lot to take on that you had no way of knowing about ahead of time and gradually preparing for.

Last edited:
DavidWebb said:
I believe that we do have an awesome connection. But what I find difficult believing is that it is completely “satisfying” to her. Because if it was, why the need for others? I feel I have done whatever she has asked of me and yet I have a sense it leaves her wanting more (even though Christie counters this by saying “And it's not that I do, necessarily”). For me, there’s a loss of pride there that I can’t “satisfy” her (kind of ‘all of a sudden’ – see next paragraph).

My partner struggles with this concept too. The only way I could think to explain it for now is that I am completely satisfied in my relationship with him but he cannot, and likely never will be able to, satisfy me in my relationships with others.

For him, being monogamous, I satisfy his sexual/emotional/partnership needs completely so that, even when he has attractions to people, he has no inclination or desire to act on it.

Because that's the way it works for him, it hurts him to think that it doesn't work that way for me. It's not that there's some deficiency in him or our relationship it's just that I don't operate the same way as him. We're wired differently.

I've given up trying to understand his view point and now I'm working on accepting it and being patient, kind and gentle with him while we work on our relationship.

The point about sexual verses emotional freedom I would also mention is this: (and please keep in mind that I am only referring to what is happening in my own relationship with my partner here) I had to give up the idea that I was refraining from sex with others because I wasn't "allowed" to by him and embrace the concept that I am focusing on building up my relationship with the man I want to be with and choosing to only be with him in that way for now. Having grown up trying to force myself into monogamy, which never worked for me, it is hard to see it that way but it helps when I manage to get there.

Oh, and I don't mean to go on but, I wanted to mention one more thing: The fact that Christie now feels safe enough to admit to herself, and the world, that she has poly tendencies speaks volumes of how happy and secure she must feel with you. It's generally conceived to be pretty socially abnormal, by the general public, in my own limited experience - to break from the mono-mould. The fact that she feels she can talk openly with you about it shows that you've built great communication together. The fact that she felt she could bring it up and you wouldn't condemn her or head for the hills also is a great sign of how supported she must feel.

When I've been in bad relationships (not blaming anyone as I was half of each of those relationships!) I have been inclined to hide or deny any part of myself which might cause disturbances - especially if I got a knee-jerk reaction when brought it up. The fact that you're here and she's becoming comfortable with herself on this level tells me that you must be a really great partner - not lacking in the least!

When I've been in bad relationships (not blaming anyone as I was half of each of those relationships!) I have been inclined to hide or deny any part of myself which might cause disturbances - especially if I got a knee-jerk reaction when brought it up. The fact that you're here and she's becoming comfortable with herself on this level tells me that you must be a really great partner - not lacking in the least!

Erato,

You are absolutely right--he is the most awesome partner I could ever ask for, in *every* way, and his working so hard to understand my poly desires is just further evidence of that.

He's been through so much, over the years, but especially in the last couple of years and not only does he still love me, he has the strength to put so much work into our relationship and examining why he's having such a difficult time.

Thanks for your input. We are actually close to posting an update as it's been a (busy and eventful) couple of weeks I think.

Update on the importance of sex--Had our first appointment with a poly-friendly couns

So, DavidWebb and I went to see an actually poly-friendly counselor yesterday. How refreshing that she was using terms like “secondary” and “poly” with not so much as a bat of an eyelash. So, in that sense, I felt at home. A friend suggested that a poly-friendly counselor might make DW feel “ganged up on”, but as a therapist myself, I know that this should not be the case. As the recipient of many horrible counseling exchanges, I knew it was possible, though.

We'll have to see what he says, but at first check in, he did not feel that way at all with her (he concurs). It is pretty clear that she didn't gather that DW is not comfortable with poly yet, so she needs to have that clarified! But she did an amazing job gathering a history with a few well chosen questions. And it helps that we are obviously in love and committed to each other!

Anyway, so we talked about the advantages of the relationship with bf, and how his being a survivor fits. DW reflected how he understood a relationship with another survivor would feel safer, and indicated that he knows he can't offer that to me, but he said it in what I thought to be a very defeated way, so I made it very clear that my relationship with him is so much more whole. No, he's never going to be able to understand it all, but he offers me so much more.

Anyway, I got really emotional when going back to January when this all started, remembering the place I was in --I've been feeling closer to that place of late given a series of community tragedies and some other interpersonal struggles, including the termination of one secondary relationship, which though in the long run is most definitely for the best, still has an emotional impact—and it was good to finally be able to have the connection between the sexual abuse, the depression and the entry into polyamory honored. No one was letting me off the hook (which they shouldn't), but no one was pointing fingers either. It felt much safer.

At the end, she asked us to paint a picture of our “worst-case scenario” and what absolutely cannot happen. So that's our homework.

****On the way home (where truthfully we do the best work), DW commented on the point in the session where I said that hitting bottom was very eye-opening for me and I thought “let's do this” (referring to healing myself sexually). His immediate thought was “yeah, let's; YOU and ME”. And it just hurts so much to understand how he feels that way and to not be able to give that to him. Well, maybe I can (go back to being mono), but I don't think it's ever going to look the way either of us would hope if I do.

I don't know how to help him understand that my loving someone else and even being intimate with them, only serves to keep the idea of sex as a positive alive. That was stolen from me for a long time (way too long) and I just want to take it back. It sure as hell isn't his or my fault that we are where we are, but we are. Does that make sense to anyone? ******

I think I'm in a unique position relative to what I've read of others' experiences on here. I certainly didn't repress for years that I was poly, what I did was repress for years that I could be a healthy sexual being. Now, I am, by definition, poly, but do you see how it's not the same? So, in some respects, I think it may be even easier for DW to fall into the trap of thinking that it's because of something about him, either active or passive, that “caused” me to look elsewhere. I know that it's not so. I know that it's about experiences way before he knew me, but he doesn't know that, and I don't know how to show him that it is true.

So, I was very despondent and rather unresponsive Friday night after the session, which of course can feed into the idea that he gets in “trouble” when he shares his real feelings. He's not in the least bit of trouble, I'm just fighting with guilt, and trying to help us move forward. I'm so glad that he felt comfortable sharing that with me and as I told him Saturday, whether he shares it out loud or not, his feelings will find a way to manifest (I know, I know, psychobabble, but I am a therapist and no one can change that either :p) so I need to know so that we can heal together.

So there you have it. This is more of an update than anything, so I'm wondering if maybe it should go in the blog. I'm wondering if the blog should be retitled—something like Survivor issues and poly, so that it would be easier to find. I think it's currently titled "ILW2's blog". I don't know how these things work.

If anyone has thoughts questions, or feedback, we're open to that too! I'd particularly love thoughts on the two paragraphs starting with "on the way home". I've starred them to make them easier to find.

Thanks all,

On the way home (where truthfully we do the best work), DW commented on the point in the session where I said that hitting bottom was very eye-opening for me and I thought “let's do this” (referring to healing myself sexually). His immediate thought was “yeah, let's; YOU and ME”. And it just hurts so much to understand how he feels that way and to not be able to give that to him.

I can see how it would hurt him. It would have seemed to him that as much as he wanted to help you, he couldn't, you wanted/needed someone else to do it. He could have felt unimportant, rejected or not good enough.
I completely understand how that is NOT the case though.
The way I see it, you needed to do it for yourself. However, your husband is someone you already trust completely, and therefore, to know you were healed, it made more sense to figure out if you were able to trust someone else with your sexuality.
Because of who he is, because he has been there the whole time, trusting him might just mean you trust HIM, and nobody else.
Being able to be intimate with a new person, however, would be more depending on YOU than on HIM. It would show that YOU were now able to do it. Not just with DW, but in general.

In that prospect (if I understood it properly, that is), it made sense that you needed to get out of the "safe zone" and put yourself on the line outside to see if you could handle it. Since he was/is your safe zone, that meant getting away from him. Which would be hard for him, I'm sure.

Did I understand where you were coming from, or am I completely missing it?

Update: This one is gone

I would want to smack him too.

Even as a poly guy who feels very little jealousy, this struck me as so insensitive, and so disrespectful of the suffering you've both endured. Here's grasping at straws... is it possible he didn't mean it that way.

Anyhow, just sitting here at my computer, its hard to resist an urge to violence... but mostly toward the abusers.

For a series of reasons of which this particular comment he made fit in, I will no longer be dating this man. In that sense, I'm actually glad that he made that comment, for it was a flag that I could not ignore. I'm not a "model" of anything, I'm a human being and like it or not, my anxiety/depression are a part of me. I try very hard to minimize their impact on my life, but I will not date someone who wants to ignore the reality.

Late view..........but

****On the way home (where truthfully we do the best work), DW commented on the point in the session where I said that hitting bottom was very eye-opening for me and I thought “let's do this” (referring to healing myself sexually). His immediate thought was “yeah, let's; YOU and ME”. And it just hurts so much to understand how he feels that way and to not be able to give that to him. Well, maybe I can (go back to being mono), but I don't think it's ever going to look the way either of us would hope if I do.

I don't know how to help him understand that my loving someone else and even being intimate with them, only serves to keep the idea of sex as a positive alive. That was stolen from me for a long time (way too long) and I just want to take it back. It sure as hell isn't his or my fault that we are where we are, but we are. Does that make sense to anyone? ******

Hi,

I'm late picking up on this thread (and all of them) so hope it's still active.
Where you had asked for some feedback in particular relating to the above paragraphs I'd like to toss something out here.

It does seem hard - maybe even unfair to him - that he was beside you helping you overcome your sexual disfunction - only to have it snowball into something more that he might have imagined.

But here's the (to me) key point that he (and many/most) are missing.
Sexuality is a natural human function and how it's expressed/embraced varies as much as individuals vary. And it continues to vary at different times in our life. It really does NOT justify being put on the pedestal that most people put it on.
I would ask him this............
If he had hung in there with you and helped you overcome an eating disorder, would he be just as uncomfortable with you either eating alone - or having lunch with someone else ?

I suspect not. I suspect he celebrate your new found capability !

I suggest viewing sex in a similar context. While sex CAN play an important role in relationships, it's not the be-all/end-all ! And if it is, the relationship is on slippery ground already.

True enough - your 'coming out' to your suppressed sexual identity was a path you both shared, and you seem to see that aspect - and as the bonding element it should be. It may be that he needs a deeper understanding of how experiences like this serve to reinforce the bonds - NOT threaten them.

He's losing nothing here unless his misunderstanding fouls what should be a hugely positive reinforcement.

My thoughts anyway.............

GS

Last edited:
For sure...

This makes a lot of sense to me. It is yours, and you surely deserve to enjoy it (finally).

That said, it must be incredibly painful for DW to have to share, just when you're starting to feel good about it.

Are you having trouble enjoying it as much with DW as others? Nothing you specifically said has made me think this, just a feeling. Please let me know if I'm way off base.

But if I'm not, this must be another really painful blow for DW to absorb. And even if it is true, I'd bet its a temporary thing: something that will fix itself as you keep getting healthier.

I am so impressed with you guys, the way you've been working through all this!

/hugs and love,

If he had hung in there with you and helped you overcome an eating disorder, would he be just as uncomfortable with you either eating alone - or having lunch with someone else ?

brilliant!

Back