Biblical Christian Poly Living

Does faith or belief mean believing in something despite empirical evidence to the contrary? Why do that? It's like believing in magic.

Hope? Well, sure, I can tell a sick friend, I hope you feel better soon. I can hope I find a good boyfriend. But what good does that really do? It takes luck and work to find good friends/lovers.

Why are humans here? Why is anything here? We just ARE. We are in this swirl of energy we call the universe, we just happen to be a carbon based life form. I do think energy can be called love, and I could say we are here to love each other and take care of each other in this hard life we are dealt.

The Bible uses a Greek term/concept-- gnosis. Knowledge. Also sophia, wisdom, which is applied knowledge. I live my life more by those terms than by hope, belief and faith.

But that's just what works for me.

Re (from LadyManda):
"Why do we exist then?"

One atheist's answer: There may not be a "Why" in terms of a transcendent meaning, other than what we can build ourselves in our own lives. Technically, I believe we exist because the way the birth and development of the Universe unfolded led to the spontaneous inception of life on Earth and the subsequent evolution which ultimately populated the planet with humans. And that's why we exist. More meaning will have to be created by our own humble efforts.

Why did the Universe come into being in the first place? There are many science-based narratives to explain it, but our current technology is by far insufficient for proving anything about that. You could always add another "Why" question to precede each "Because" answer, but who says the Why/Because chain doesn't extend back infinitely?

This is not to thumb my nose at the profound spiritual stirrings the really big "Why" questions engender in the human heart. Perhaps God is the ultimate reason for our existence. I just don't know for sure.

Re:
"You have done away with belief, faith, and hope. This makes me pose the question: Then what does it mean to be human?"

My hardcore atheist answer would be that the only built-in meaning to our humanness is the complex dance of molecules within our brains and bodies. Humans can then add meaning to what's built-in if they so desire.

Re: belief, faith, hope ... all three words have multiple meanings, from the religious to the mundane. I think we all believe something, it's just that some of us base our beliefs strictly on physical proof. Many of us have faith in the ultimate goodness of humanity without ascribing it to any God, and we all must have some hope that each new day will be somehow worthwhile, otherwise we'd all just constantly want to kill ourselves. So I for one retain belief, faith, and hope, even though they aren't centered around any church or religious doctrine.

Re:
"Why are faith, belief, and hope useless concepts?"

I for one think they are useful concepts, I just don't think they have to be religious concepts.

Thanks all for the great responses to my questions! It helps!

Kdt26417: I don't think that faith, belief and hope have to be religiously oriented, I was just kind boggled by Mags idea that they were useless concepts completely. But after reading her response, I see where she is coming from. I don't think I agree, but I appreciate her ideas nonetheless.

Regardless, your responses have definitely given me something to think about. I don't think it shakes my own faith at all but I like to get others ideas and opinions! :)

Glad my post made sense. One of my old Utah friends has taught me that it is important for "believers" and "non-believers" to be diplomatic and seek common ground with each other. After all, we are all in the same boat, one way or another (even if each of us perceives the boat differently).

Spirituality and Polyamory

What I don't understand is how a conversation to determine how to maintain our connection with our spirituality and at the same time be non-monogamous has digressed to a debate about the existence of God.

It is imperative if I believe Jesus is God to love my neighbor as myself.

How I love is between my neighbor and me to resolve.

Nothing changes if my neighbor happens to be an atheist, or a right wing, neo Nazi evangelical.

I just discovered Magdlyn is my homie. :) and if I met her I'd ask her out.

I think its even more imperative to love my neighbors if Jesus isn't god, or there aren't any gods at all, really.

People helping people is how I go about life. My dear friends help me and vice versa. I also give back to the world through volunteer work.

loveboston, I thought you realized long ago I live near Boston! I am not sure you'd like me if you asked me out! lol I don't think Jesus existed. But if he did, or even as a Joseph Campbell style hero myth, he was married to Mary Magdalene, had sex, and maybe a baby. That's my take on it.

Re (from loveboston):
"What I don't understand is how a conversation to determine how to maintain our connection with our spirituality and at the same time be non-monogamous has digressed to a debate about the existence of God."

Well, I haven't been keeping track of that, and I know that the site guidelines discourage hijacking, but it could be my fault since I tend to get off on tangents. I apologize if I have annoyed or offended.

Jesus is often seen as a teacher of love and I think that's part of what makes him so popular.

Sorry if I did get everyone off topic...It was just because of what someone else said that triggered my questions! And I still think it kind related to the topic (at least sorta). :/

I'm mulling over whether to start a Fireplace thread entitled, "Do You Believe There's a God?" Wonder if there'd be enough interest to justify it ...

Good

This blog was about Biblical Christian Poly Living started by a very nice couple looking to meet other people who wanted to meet other people who believed both in the Bible and being poly.

All the rancor has helped me to once again realize that I don't believe in the Bible. And that I have to love people who do.

Often times the best way to love someone who believes something we don't is to leave them alone.

You don't "believe in the Bible," loveboston? How can you not believe in the Bible, as a devout Jesus follower? That's where his supposed life story was first written.

Bible

No. I don't believe the Bible is the inspired words of God.

I believe Jesus is the promise (word) of God.

I believe in His interpretation and validation of the scriptures.

I think the council of Canon incorporated the traditions of men.

I don't think studying the Bible is a prerequisite in fact I think it is often hinders truthful introspection.

I think Paul was confused about women.

A patriarch is a father. Jesus said to call no man father.

Our Father and Jesus are one.

Mothers, sisters, brothers are the ones who do the will of God. The will of God is to love our neighbor as ourselves.

We are the feminine bride.

We should all take Christ's advice to his disciples and love our mothers.

I also don't think the constitution of the United States were inspired by Jesus.

But I do believe that Benjamin Franklin was cool.

Hi all! Well,this will be a great thread to read! I'm new to the boards and am a Christian. Ok off to make dinner but I will be back later with some comments I am sure.

Me, my husband, my oldest boyfriend and his wife and my most recent boyfriend and his wife have attended the same church for years. My boyfriend's wives have never had a problem with their husbands and me being lovers. And my husband has never had a problem with me having other lovers. We are very open and honest with each other.

Before I learned about polyamory, I only dated one guy at a time. It was my husband who introduced me to polyamory. I liked the idea and had been in love with my best friend for many years, but because he was married, I knew he was off limits. I struggled for years being in love with a married man, but I knew he meant a lot to me and I was in-love with him.

One night when we were at my best friend and his wife's house, my husband brought up polyamory. My boyfriend's wife stated that she had heard of something like polyamory and felt that it seemed like a very loving lifestyle. My husband horrified both me and my best friend by asking my best friend's wife if she would ever be willing to share her husband with another woman. To our surprise, she said, "If that woman were someone like Debbie, who I love and trust . . . yes I would."

My boyfriend's wife added, "You two have known each other for years. I have trusted you two to be alone and often thought that there may be more to your friendship than you let on, and I have never had a problem with that." We talked more on the subject of polyamory and me and my best friend's relationship. We admitted that we both had deep feelings for each other and that we had never done anything with each other, romantically or physically.

My boyfriend's wife said that she had seen the way we looked at each other and how our hugs were more than just friendly. She also said she knew it was only a matter of time before we had a discussion like we were having, and she felt that it was about time we did. My boyfriend's wife gave us her full blessing to date and even be lovers. It didn't take long for us to be intimate, but it was a while before me and my boyfriend felt comfortable kissing each other in front of my boyfriend's wife. I have considered my boyfriend my second husband for the last seven years now.

Several months ago another married man, who attends our church, approached my husband. He mentioned to my husband that he noticed that me and my boyfriend were very close, possibly closer than just friends. When my husband asked this other man what he was implying, he stated that he and his wife were talking about opening their marriage and he was hoping that he hadn't misread our relationship.

That afternoon, me, my husband, my boyfriend and his wife, this other man and his wife went out to lunch together. We talked about this other couple's desire to open their relationship and how any of this was reflected or talked about in the Bible. We talked for some time, then both the other man and his wife stated their true reason for bringing up their desire to open their relationship. The other man told us that he had been attracted to me for some time and his wife had been attracted to my boyfriend for even longer.

Me, my husband, my boyfriend and his wife spoke in detail of what we understood polyamory to be and what it meant to us. The other couple told us that there was an initial physical attraction, but they had hoped there would be more. I ended up going out with the other man and my boyfriend went out with the other man's wife.

Since that day we have been one big extended family. We still attend the same church together. I have my husband and two boyfriends. My second boyfriend's wife has a husband and a boyfriend. Me and my boyfriend have loving legal spouses. And we have had some younger couples come to us and talk to us about how we have some way figured some things out.

My husband has recently started dating a younger woman, who also attends our church, who's husband has been talking with my husband for sometime. This younger husband's interest was in cuckolding. The younger man's wife admitted that before the two of them had married that both of them had saved themselves for marriage. Having been married for a year, both of them realized that the wife's sex drive was much higher than her husband's sex drive.

The younger husband told my husband that he was very attracted to his wife, but the sexual desire just wasn't there. We told both the younger husband and his wife that poly is more than sex. It is about romance, trust, honesty, friendship and love. My husband's relationship with this younger couple was originally along the lines of cuckolding, then it became more. My husband found that he actually had deep feelings for this younger wife.

Although my husband's relationship with this younger couple is still kind of a cuckolding relationship with the husband, the love that this younger wife and my husband feel for each other is evident. When we attend church together, we all sit on the same pew. Facing us, from the right to left, you see my oldest boyfriend's wife, my husband's girlfriend, my husband, My oldest boyfriend's new girlfriend, my oldest boyfriend, me, my newest boyfriend and my husband's girlfriend's husband.

Just last Sunday our pastor approached all of us and told us that we were living examples of what Christ taught. When we asked what he meant, our pastor told us that we seemed to be the go to people for the younger and even some older congregants. He said that we don't see color or age or gender or culture, but instead express love in how we live. He even said that it was evident that we put Christ first in all that we did. And we all agreed.

We are still not sure what our pastor meant when he said, "It's obvious that you all have a special love and bond with each other. You have something other people may not understand or accept, but God's love is evident in each of you." We liked what our pastor had to say, but we are not sure what he really knows about us.

To us Poly is about loving. And that is what Christianity is supposed to be about as well. Why anyone would see the two not being connected is a mystery to us.

I just loved reading this! I am not sure how this will unfold in my life, and I am waiting on God's timing and teaching, but I couldn't agree more with you on what you said. This is so cool...and thank you for sharing! :)

Say, loveboston, we have a new poll, called What Do You Make of Jesus? I wonder if you'd be willing to vote in it and maybe even post a little there about your views. We could use your input.

Same invite applies to anyone who's interested, of course.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

[/extra hijack]

Me, my husband, my oldest boyfriend and his wife and my most recent boyfriend and his wife have attended the same church for years. My boyfriend's wives have never had a problem with their husbands and me being lovers. And my husband has never had a problem with me having other lovers. We are very open and honest with each other...

My husband has recently started dating a younger woman, who also attends our church... [sitting in the pew is] oldest boyfriend's wife, my husband's girlfriend, my husband, My oldest boyfriend's new girlfriend, my oldest boyfriend, me, my newest boyfriend and my husband's girlfriend's husband.

Just last Sunday our pastor approached all of us and told us that we were living examples of what Christ taught. When we asked what he meant, our pastor told us that we seemed to be the go to people for the younger and even some older congregants. He said that we don't see color or age or gender or culture, but instead express love in how we live. He even said that it was evident that we put Christ first in all that we did. And we all agreed.

We are still not sure what our pastor meant when he said, "It's obvious that you all have a special love and bond with each other. You have something other people may not understand or accept, but God's love is evident in each of you." We liked what our pastor had to say, but we are not sure what he really knows about us.

To us Poly is about loving. And that is what Christianity is supposed to be about as well. Why anyone would see the two not being connected is a mystery to us.

"DebbieandRay," this post is from July... a mere 3 months ago. At that time, you were attending a Christian church and Ray was involved with a woman and her husband, in some sort of cuckolding situation? The young husband was a cuckold and Ray was the bull?

Yet now your newest posts claim you are having what you call "church" on Wednesdays and Sundays at home, which consists of Debbie being fucked by multiple black men while Ray serves as sub and a cuckold. Your 15 year old son goes to actual church and you 2 get busy with the bulls. Hm, how things have changed.

Back