Love tatoos

Norwegianpoly

I am usually not that into love tatoos - and have seen more than one time that the relationship ends and people still have the tattoos...

However, today I saw this wonderful set of tatoos that were not similar, but sort of part of a set...

and I wondered: is the any poly "couples" (I don't even know how to say it...poly families? For more than two) who have the same or similar tattoos, as a way to show your love? If so, how does that work out for you?

I have many artist friends and know good tattoists, so I figured perhaps a tatoo would be a way for the three of us to show that we are a family and connected.

Any thoughts?

I have the poly symbol tattoo on my left hand. I have a pic of it in my photo album on this site.

PunkRock and I are planning on gifting each other tattoos for Christmas this year - specifically a design that speaks to quantum entanglement. I would like DarkKnight to be involved with that, but he has no tattoos at present, so it makes him nervous. There is no hurry, so he can wait if needed. :) I have a pintrest board set up with different ideas. Right now the front runner is a matching pair of atoms, with the electrons in opposite places. We have also kicked around the idea of just having recreations of a particle shower - like the photographs taken inside of particle accelerators, with all of the whirls and designs that are created when they do the experiments. I want whatever we agree on to be on my lower left arm, I think.

I also have three stars on my back. Not poly related, but they represent my family - each of my children picked a color and a star was added when their adoption became final.

Hi!

My main partner and I have considered getting some sort of connected tattoo before to represent the kind of thing you are talking about, but have decided that it's not the best way forward for us. It's a personal choice and I think there's nothing at all wrong with doing it if you want to do it. For myself personally, I won't even involve my partner in the design process of my own tattoo, and any time I come across something that might come to represent her instead of only myself and my internal world, I steer away from it.

I'm about to get my first tattoo later this week - something I've been planning out carefully for years and have finally decided upon - and, for me, it's important to think about how I would feel looking at that tattoo if something drastically changed about my current situation. Particularly if my core relationship ended. So, whilst I've personally loved the idea of having some sort of connected tattoo with my partner in the past, I currently feel very much opposed to the idea. I am me, and you are you, and I can't tell you what to do. :)

Not everyone regrets getting a tattoo to represent a romantic partnership. I really think a lot of how you'll feel about your tattoo in 5, 10, 15, 50 years etc. depends on how you view love, your body, aging, change and relationships. If you, for instance, aren't attached to the idea of romantic love being permanent and are a person who is very accepting of change, logic would say that you may be more likely to look fondly upon your tattoo even if your relationship were to end.

Be authentic to you, don't rush, and just do what feels right!

Mary wants us to get tattoos together next time I am in town. I already have another picked out to represent Cat and I. I also want the BDSM symbol, but that would bother Cat, which is a bummer.

I would never get a name, but something symbolizing a relationship would never bother me if that relationship ended.

I have no tattoos and probably won't get any. But, I don't have anything against love tattoos in principle.

I have a fair number of tattoos. Thus far, none of them have represented a person. But if I did want one that did (and/or a love tattoo) it definitely wouldn't involve a name.

Jon and I currently have a couple of ideas for complimentary tattoos that we might want to do, but they're more along the lines of Inyourendo's idea - two images that would go together and compliment each other, but not scream out that they are about another person.

This might sound morbid, but I already decided that if Jon died early, I would definitely get a tattoo as a memorial to him. No idea yet, and hopefully I'll never have to think about it, but he means enough to me that I would want a part of my body marked with a remembrance of him.

Re:
"I would want a part of my body marked with a remembrance of him."

I like that idea Liz.

I have seen too many relationships fail shortly after a tattoo or other body mod is done to honor the relationship. I'm superstitious about it now, and refuse to allow my wife (who collects tattoos) to get a tattoo for me or us. If I die, it's okay, but it's forbidden as long as I'm alive.

Back