Introducing: Northerner

Northerner

I am located in southern Ontario. I was in a couple of poly relationships in the distant past but for over thirty years I have been in "traditional" long term mono relationships. That is not for lack of interest on my part but rather that I fell in love with women who were not open to CNM.

While I identify as primarily heterosexual I'm open to bi experiences. I've never been romantically attracted to guys but I'm not averse to the physical aspects.

I would describe myself as educated, literate, and open to new ideas and experiences.

While I hope my current relationship lasts for the rest of my life, if I was ever single again, I do not believe I would consider committing to anybody who was not open to a poly relationship.

You may be wondering why I am here if I am not likely to pursue a poly lifestyle again. I guess it comes down wanting the company of like-minded people, even if I can no longer participate.

Greetings Northerner,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

Have no fear, you will find like-minded people here. Just look around, and post any questions you might have. I'm sorry that you are unable to practice poly at this time. At least you can talk about it here.

Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter"

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

Hi Northerner - and welcome to the Forum! You've come to the right place for intelligent and thoughtful discussion on the topic of polyamory. We have a good number of experienced poly folks here who participate on a consistent basis. Please feel free to post any specific thoughts and questions that you might have - both the General Poly Discussion and Poly Relationships Corner sections are quite active. Al

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks Kevin. I have read all of the guidelines, the "Golden Nuggets" are next on my reading list :)

Al: I followed the link to your introduction, and found we have some common history. I was a voracious reader of science fiction, and started reading Heinlien at an early age. I have no doubt that "Stranger in a Strange Land" was a formative text for me, as was "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (my favorite Heinlien book).

Al: I followed the link to your introduction, and found we have some common history. I was a voracious reader of science fiction, and started reading Heinlien at an early age. I have no doubt that "Stranger in a Strange Land" was a formative text for me, as was "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (my favorite Heinlien book).

"Stranger" and "TMIAHM" are certainly among Heinlein's best - both were Hugo winners - and both presented alternative marriage arrangements. "Time Enough for Love" and "Friday' also both prominently feature alternative marriage styles as well. I have re-read "Stranger", "Friday", and "Time Enough for Love" over the last year as part of my "poly study curriculum". "TMIAHM" is next up on my queue after I finish up "Designer Relationships".

I would also be interested in hearing about any other good science fiction that features polyamory or other alternative relationship scenarios.

Al

Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis Trilogy is in many ways about poly, though it's not presented as such. Whether it's poly or not, they're wonderful.

Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold is a tale of two arms of a Vee picking up the pieces after their hinge has died. It’s a delightful grown-up love story set in her Vorkosigan space-opera universe.

Back