Article Submissions

ImaginaryIllusion

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is for collecting Articles directly if necassary, or linking to candidate posts. (Before they get lost in the history)

Last edited:
Mark Morford article

10,000 secrets for a perfect marriage

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/09/28/notes092811.DTL

...Living in San Francisco, it's required by law that I know couples who are way into polyamory, who swear that the key to making their central love relationship work is, well, to have a whole tasty variety of others hovering around to keep things interesting. After all, to assume one person/relationship can satisfy all needs and desires is as silly as assuming you'll only ever like one flavor of lubricant.

My poly friends join an even wider tribe I know who are deeply smitten with another book from last year called "Sex at Dawn," a "renegade" anthropological/zoological bestseller all about how silly little homo sapiens (that's you) are not actually designed for monogamy, that marriage is a massively flawed social construct, a byproduct of the agrarian age, the church, your confused grandmother. We're cavemen, really. Monkeys. We like to commune, share, screw anything that moves. (I might be oversimplifying a little. But not much).

And marriage for love? An even newer invention, really, and one that can't possibly be sustained. After all, love is fickle and volatile and blind and awesome and gorgeous and flames across the psychoemotional sky like a drunken comet. Depending on it for stability and security is like depending on the ocean for calm, clear sailing. Right? Isn't it?

Just food for thought...

Messing With Fate
New “social discovery” apps try to engineer chance encounters. Could they spoil true serendipity?

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/06/messing-with-fate/8979/

Same goes a bit for dating, social sites, even interest groups too, I feel... Connections are difficult to engineer... Serendipity/chance, and strange attractors can't be underestimated... By definition serendipity is chance/uncertainty/nothing guaranteed. Though we do need to get out there, and not have to deal with so much that may or may not reflect what one is seeking. I've never tried such an app, and I sort of teeter both ways on these considerations... Life doesn't always offer possibilities or big signs around necks that eliminates guesswork... so can imagine such might help...
Fortune, Jerome

Back