Quotes

"Enemies without,
enemies within.
It is time to construct something new.
Something durable.
With fortifications of of iron, stone, and steel.
I will not be ruled.
I will not be managed"
-The Countess, American Horror Story 05.09

Oscar Wilde was the best--

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Eddie Izzard next--

I grew up in Europe, where the history comes from.

I wanna live til I die, no more, no less.

Cats have a scam going. You buy the food, they eat the food, they fuck off; that's the deal.

Scrabble was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia. This is true, they proved this one.

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

And now for a heaping helping from my favorite satirist, Christopher Buckley.

“I don’t know why you’re always carrying on about the so-called ‘wisdom of the American people’. Half the population seems to me to be demented.”

Decisis: Latin phrase meaning ‘to stand by things decided,’ i.e., let the precedent continue in effect. The full phrase is ‘Stare decisis et non quieta monvere.’ Trans: ‘For God’s sake, just leave it.’”

“If Intelligent Design exists, how would you explain the U.S. Tax Code?”

-from Supreme Courtship

“There are few spectacles more pathetic than a roomful of otherwise responsible people trying to squirm out of a civic duty enshrined in Magna Carta as one of the signal boons of democracy. On the other hand, who in his right mind wants to serve on a jury?”

“You know the three cardinal rules, right? Don’t eat at a place called Mom’s, don’t draw to an inside straight, don’t go to bed with someone who’s got more problems than you do. Here’s a fourth: Don’t try to outfox someone named Wiley.”

-from No Way to Treat a First Lady

“The anthems from my revolution are now background music in TV commercials for cholesterol pills, onboard navigation systems for gas-guzzling SUVs, and hedge funds.”

“It is the general rule among policy makers to insist that America must never leave a mission unaccomplished, no matter how wrongheaded or ill thought through. Indeed, the more wrongheaded and ill thought through, the more imperative it is to remain and see it through to its dismal and inevitable end.”

“Speechwriters are essentially Calvinists: they get nervous when their subjects demonstrate free will and stray from the text.”

-from Boomsday

Last edited:
"Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya."

My favorite quotes from this site are viewable on my profile page.

One of my favorites from my nephew, on being told that he couldn't have something that he wanted:

"I know, but I can't NOT want it!"

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some people abuse the privilege."

Not really a quote, but I read this today and it spoke to me:

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the peace of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and I am free.

- Wendell Berry

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-- E.F. Schumacher

"Songs remain. Songs last. They can turn an emperor into a laughingstock, can bring down dynasties. A song can last long after the events and the people are dust and dreams and gone. That's the power of songs."
-Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

"I am approached with the most opposite opinions and advice, and by men who are equally certain that they represent the divine will. I am sure that either the one or the other is mistaken in the belief, and perhaps in some respects, both. I hope it will not be irreverent of me to say that if it is probable that God would reveal his will to others on a point so connected with my duty, it might be supposed he would reveal it directly to me."
-- Abraham Lincoln

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
Dr. Seuss

"Now, the Star-Belly Sneetches
Had bellies with stars.
The Plain-Belly Sneetches
Had none upon thars.

Those stars weren't so big. They were really so small
You might think such a thing wouldn't matter at all."
-- Dr. Seuss

“You can do anything....”

“..... I did try and fuck her, she was married,”

“grab them by the pussy”.

• president elect, donald ("tiny hands") trump.

(whose name must never be capitalized.)

“You can do anything....”

“..... I did try and fuck her, she was married,”

“grab them by the pussy”.

• president elect, donald ("tiny hands") trump.

(whose name must never be capitalized.)

"When they go low, we go high."
-Michelle Obama

"Bring it, babyhands."
-Me, in response to the above trump quote.

I've got another quote from my son:

"Humans have habits. When you give up your habits, it's bad for your conscience."

This, when I told him that I missed being on a pool league.

President-elect Trump on Buzzfeed: "A failing pile of garbage."....Trump on CNN: "Fake news."....Jonathan Chait on Trump press conference: "The bully has his pulpit."....Kellyanne Conway on Dems demanding financial info on Trump nominees: "Political peeping Toms."....Carl Bernstein on Conway: "It's time to talk about what we do as journalists and what propaganda ministers do. And that is what she is."....Russian journalist Alexey Kovalev: "Congratulations, US media! You've just covered your first press conference of an authoritarian leader with a massive ego and a deep disdain for your trade and everything you hold dear. We in Russia have been doing it for twelve years now."....Chuck Todd on Trump press conference: "I'm struck by how normal crazy looked today."....Michael Moore on Trump birther campaign: "He is the Godfather of this decade's fake news...A founder."....Stephen King: "Trump's response to Meryl Streep -- childish, churlish, petulant -- is exactly why most Americans fear his presidency. Emotionally unqualified."....Eugene Robinson: "The Twitter rants offer a glimpse into Trump's psyche, and it's not pretty...He can't seem to ignore any slight. That's a sign of weakness, not strength...What kind of crybaby have Americans elected as their leader?"....Lawrence Downes on Trump: "Wandering in a labyrinth of lies and trying to drag the country in with him."....Sen. Elizabeth Warren on GOP Obamacare intentions: "Repeal and run is for cowards."....Obama ethics adviser Norm Eisen on Trump: "Is he turning it all over to the trustee or not?...If he fails that test, he's failing the presidency, he's failing the American people, he's failing the Constitution and failing all of us."....Cornel West: "Is there really any hope for truth and justice in this decadent time?"....George Takei on Trump: "Tinkle, tinkle, little czar. Putin put you where you are.".... friend of mine put this together:

"There is no point in getting angry, but there is a stupid malignity to all this that does try one's patience."

Back