Polyamorous and demisexual?

Demisexual isn't some rare hothouse flower. Lots people are like that, it's just that now we have a word for it, but very few people know what the word is. Lots of people don't have sexual feelings until they feel an emotional connection, that's not something unusual.

Demisexual reflects at least half of the popluation

Demisexual isn't some rare hothouse flower. Lots people are like that, it's just that now we have a word for it, but very few people know what the word is. Lots of people don't have sexual feelings until they feel an emotional connection, that's not something unusual.

I concur. This is quite a normal occurrence. Even though I could have sex without a serious (emotional) connection.

Maybe so, but it appears that the word "demisexual" doesn't identify one type or kind, but a broad and diverse spectrum of types and kinds.

Unless someone with authority to do so can police the word use to keep it narrowly constrained, that is.

As it stands, the word 'demisexaul' refers not just to folks who don't experience some sexual attraction without "an emotional connection," but also to people who may experience some level of attraction but would not act upon that prior to the establishment of some level of trust, affection, connection, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum are people who will hop nakedly into bed with someone they met five minutes before, or less, and who require none of this "touchy-feely" nonsense.

To the best of my current knowledge, the word 'demisexual' was invented by folks who identify as asexual as a designation for a particular kind or type of asexuality! It only gets more confusing from there.

The author of this article says, "The reason demisexuality is considered a variation of asexuality is simply because a demisexual person doesn't experience attraction to a person unless they feel a deeper connection."

But this seems to be quite an oversimplification of the matter. It gets more nuanced as you get more familiar. Attraction exists on a spectrum of both kind and degree. One can have the thought, "That person is attractive," but not feel attracted (for example). Arousal is often not even mentioned in these discussions about demisexuality, but it may be as important a factor as attraction. Attraction doesn't always lead to arousal, after all. One can be extremely attracted to someone and yet not become aroused with them, even while in bed, naked and cuddling with them. This distinction is not negligible. It's crucial, even central. At least as central (core to the topic) as attraction.

People like me have (at least!) a lot in common with demisexuals -- even though we may not belong to the demisexual class if it is narrowly confined to attraction and without reference to arousal. And arousal is something which also exists on a spectrum of both kind and degree! (Like I said, it's a nuanced topic.) There is the kind of arousal which one would act upon in a hot minute and there is the kind one could not act upon and would not, even if offered. Same with attraction. It makes no sense to restrict everything to just one component of a total, integrated whole, I think.

Last edited:
It's quite possible that 'demisexuality' is simply a bad word, in the sense that it's not ... well, coherent.

According to the Demisexuality Resource Center, demisexuality falls on the asexuality spectrum. Asexuals self-define as having no interest in sex, or at least very little; demisexuals are capable of sexual attraction but only in specific circumstances, not on a regular basis. Demisexuality is also referred to as "semisexuality" or "gray sexuality"; demisexual people might refer to themselves as "gray-asexuals" or "gray-aces" for short. Wired reports that the term demisexuality first came into existence on an Asexuality Visibility and Education Network forum on February 8, 2006. -- from https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a36736/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-demisexual/

And yet some self-identified 'demisexuals' say they have a higher than average (for humans) sex drive and will want sex as much as twice a day (or more) ... so long as the requisite emotional connection (etc.) is present with their partner.

This has, I think, nothing whatsoever to do with asexuality. It does have everything to do with the conditions under which a person feels sexual attraction and is available to experience the equally crucial sexual arousal.

Keep in mind, please, that one can have the highest level of sexual attraction toward a person and at that very same moment experience no arousal whatsoever.

And, no, arousal and erections have no direct, necessary correspondence. A male human can be extremely aroused and have no (zero) erection, and vice versa. There is no simple, direct, necessary correspondence between these two. (I'm less familiar with whatever similarities may be present in women's sexual response.)

Attraction may well not be a useful basis for deciding who is 'demisexual' and who is not. But if the word is decided on the basis of attraction alone it's perhaps not a very useful word at all.

But demisexuals describe sexual feeling outside these frameworks — they're not picky, they say, they literally don't get turned on unless they are deeply emotionally connected with someone. https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a36736/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-demisexual/

"Turned on" is synonymous with "aroused". Attraction is not synonymous with either. Attraction and "turn on" -- arousal -- are usually related but not simply related. That is, they are not related in any simple way that we could calculate in a universal sense, such as the correspondence between temperature and the state of water as solid, liquid or gas.

Last edited:
Back