Coworkers knowing about poly status

Deliboy007

Hello all,
I work in an office in the California Bay Area and I am in a poly open marriage. I would like to use a online dating app to find partners, but I am worried about coworkers who may also be using the same app seeing me on there. Does anyone have any guidance or experiences to share regarding the outcome of coworkers learning your poly status from an online dating app?
Thanks!

Would you lose your job if co-workers knew you were poly? Isn't the Bay Area pretty liberal?

True, it is liberal and it would be very unlikely to get fired. I am also asking if people have perhaps experienced other social outcomes that haven’t occurred to me.

I used OKC even though I am married and poly (AND I am a teacher, which is one of those jobs that is often quoted as one where you need to stay closeted). I haven't had any negative repercussions from it. I think that the main thing is to make sure that your profile is generally appropriate -- that you don't say stuff on there that you would be horrified to find out that your coworkers know about you (same as any social media) and that you include a full explanation in your profile about your situation -- that it is honest and open and that all parties are consenting. I also have my profile linked to my husband's -- just to make sure that anyone who comes across my profile knows that my husband is on board and that this isn't something they need to hide from him.

My husband did find that he came across a coworker's profile and got freaked out because then his coworker could see that he'd viewed her profile (and would therefore be alerted to the fact that he was on a dating site). Nothing ever came of it, though. No big deal.

I've never encountered any problems having my profile on OKCupid and other sites. I know some people at work have seen it, but no one has ever said anything, and I don't think the company cares unless I were to date someone at work and a work-related problem arose because of it. I also live in a very conservative area.

Hello Deliboy007,

I think you are safe to carry on with your dating app. The worst I can imagine is maybe some awkwardness between you and a coworker who found out. But most likely you'll be fine.

Regards,
Kevin T.

My wife and I are slowly coming out of the closet with our new lifestyle. You may lose some friends, but you may make new ones as well.

As long as what you guys are doing involves consenting adults and nobody is getting hurt or deceived, it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Back