Polyamory in television shows

I think that in order for Winston's poly cause to get any airtime, she'll have to "play the game" to a certain extent. You know, give the show's producers the drama they want, that sort of thing. Just my opinion ...

Many reality shows focus heavily the first few weeks on the people who are going to be booted sooner rather than later (so they get airtime). If folks stick around, suddenly the drama pops out (via nature or via editing magic) a bit later. I have the utmost in faith that they'll attempt to orchestrate some type of drama.

It was my first view into this life, except for reading some stuff on websites and ebooks. Now I've read some more, and given some more tought to a variety of poly-subjects, I understand all of your concerns, but for me personally it was a game change. It finally showed me that I am not crazy, that it is a way to live your life, there are people doing it!

That was extremely valuable. In fact, while I am not one to show emotions very quickly, I cried multiple times while watching season 1. Once during the first episode because it was all so emotionally overwhelming, and once when the triad came out to one of their moms. Her reaction of her being so proud of her daughter was just something that struck home.

I haven't seen any episodes of that show; I've seen I think 1½ seasons of Big Love. I liked the first season a lot. Tame, balanced, realistic. After that first season, it lost those three virtues IMO.

Yes, Big Love is about polygamy ... or to be precise, it is about Mormon polygyny. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stopped practicing polygamy a long time ago, but there are churches that have split off from the LDS church and have continued to practice polygamy.

I only mention Big Love because it's the closest thing I've seen so far to a poly TV show. (The main character has three wives.)

Sounds like a fun read.

Back