Calling Polyfidelitous Families for Interviews

KimClev1

Thank you for adding me to the group! I am relatively new to the world of polyamory and would love to hear your stories and get your referrals. I am a casting director interested in interviewing polyfidelitous families in Canada and the US for a new television docuseries. We want to explore the growing trend of polyamory across North America, and educate the public on the many shapes the modern family is taking today. The subject will be approached in an honest and respectful manner. I'm looking forward to hearing from you! Email: [email protected] or message me here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Why are you focusing on one type of poly? Polyfi triads are also one of the less common types of poly relationships. Are you aware of that? Are you interested in presenting poly in only certain ways? While they certainly exist, polyfi triads are only one option of being in a poly relationship. There are so many more. Why not be open to show the actual diversity of poly instead of the overdone, dull and unrepresentative stereotype? If you spend any time here it will become very obvious that there is a huge variety in poly relationships. That should be the story of your 'docuseries'. And is that code for 'reality TV'?

Also some credentials for yourself and your company would go a long way towards building some credibility for your project.

Hello Opalescent - Thank you for your response! I am definitely open to pitching a broad array of story lines to our team. I would love to hear yours if you'd like to share it with us. Email: [email protected]

Also, feel free to check out our award-winning shows: http://www.anaid.com/, and let me know if you have any other questions.

I hate that the media presents polyamory as a poly-fidelitous FMF triad, and hardly ever in any other way. The FMF sexual threesome is the top male fantasy, so of course a show portraying this uncommon poly arrangement would get view from people (men) wanting titillation. And you all get your paycheck.

But all it leads to is a huge population of straight guys and their bisexual wives (or so-called bi-curious wives, who really aren't bi at all) seeking Unicorns, a "hot bi babe" they can "share," to "join their relationship." If they manage to find a young, needy, usually lower income woman to join them, it ends in disaster 99% of the time.

And you may quote me on that to your producer team.

We get many new members who are arrogantly seeking this impossible dream. And we get many new members who are the scarred and discarded "Unicorns" whose lives have been ripped apart.

Do a search or tag search on our board using the terms "couple privilege," "unicorn hunter," "unicorn," and similar terms. The horror stories abound.

I think y'all are being a little negative here. The OP said nothing about triads, merely about polyfidelous families. I know we've got more than a few polyfi families on this board that aren't triads. Maybe, in the interest of fighting ignorance, the threadstarter could talk to some of those posters. Maybe the FFM triad is oversubscribed in the media. And I'll admit that that's something I have experience with. But recently I've seen more media about other forms of poly. Small steps.

Oh, one kindly-meant word. If someone went to my wife (The Signal) and said, oh, you were part of a FFM triad, you must be a bi-curious wife, she would rip off your head and shit down your neck. She is bisexual. It is a huge insult, and another form of Bisexual Erasure, to call someone of her orientation "bi-curious". Just a friendly reminder.

I agree the op said nothing about triads only. By the description I fit what they may be looking for. I am polyfi with two monogamous husbands and three kids.

But I am not willing to put my family on TV for the kids sake. The world is a cruel place and with social media the way it is I do not need my kids lives put through hell because I decided to be the poster girl for poly.

Hello Everyone-

Thank you to Magdlyn, OnceAndFuture and Dagferi for your input - I really do appreciate your comments and passion for how polyamory is covered in the media. I welcome you all to give me your candid thoughts, as well as share your personal stories with me. I understand that not everyone is open to being on camera, but realize some will be willing to share their stories in order to help educate and enlighten others. I am definitely open to all configurations and different types of poly relationships; I'm sorry if you got the impression I only wanted to hear from FMF triads; that is not the case. I am open to presenting an array of stories to the network for their consideration. Thank you in advance for your ideas and referrals and have a great weekend!

Sincerely-
KimClev1

While I'm VERY leery of polyamory being seen as a "trend" or a "movement" or whatever word for FAD, here's how I see it:

Back in college, a friend of mine -- former Marine but very liberal politically -- came to me with a problem: he was being actively recruited by the FBI. He didn't want to become an arrogant law-enforcer.

So I said, "If good people like you don't take those jobs, then who does that leave?"

;)

I suppose it's a little hypocritical of me to say on the one hand "I don't like how polyamory is portrayed in the media" and on the other "I don't want my story in the media." Things don't change unless people speak up.

On the third (?) hand though:

1. I'm not open about my status other than with my wife, here, and a local meetup group. And I wouldn't want my employers and my family finding out through a documentary.

2. I'm still working through what polyamory means to me. That might be interesting in and of itself, but it's probably not what you're looking for.

3. My life is kind of boring to be honest. I go to work, I write to people on a message board, I go to an occasional meetup group, my wife and I do typical couple things. I couldn't see it being anything other than the dullest story you could cover that would still be nominally about polyamory. Very technically a polyfi relationship, but....

Hope you find what you are looking for eventually. And I share the overall consensus that you should be looking for very different types of polyamorous relationships.

Hi KimClev1,

I am in a polyfidelitous V, and while I can't appear on TV because I am in the closet so to speak, I can converse with you via post here or PM if you prefer. Let me know if you're interested.

Regards,
Kevin T.

Why do you want to interview only polyfidelitous families? My relationships are not poly-fi, we are all free to start new relationships if the opportunity presents itself. However, my family life is very stable and solid within our live-in polycule. Not that I'd be willing to be on TV, just a thought. Why not include any sort of open arrangements in your documentary?

OnceAndFuture said:
My life is kind of boring to be honest.
Mine, too! And if you read the Life Stories and Blogs section on this forum, so is for most of us :)

I'll chime in here with the others who advocate presenting polyamory in its full diversity, with polyfidelity being but one component and not the whole.

The ideal documentary tv series on polyamory would include polyfidelitous folks as well as others in more open relationships. It would include straight, gay and bisexul groupings. It would be truly diverse.

And true diversity would also reflect the fact that while some poly configurations are groupings where all live together in the same home, others who are just as deeply involved and committed may live in separate homes, nearby. Etc.

The producers, directors, writers, interviewers..., of this documentary should ask themselves whether they seek to create an honest portrait of the poly world or just another filtered and distorted bit of tv entertainment.

I think all of us here would rather see poly presented accurately and honestly.

Back