Functions, Events, holidays, and etc

Gria2004

Hi I would like to know how people handle functions, get-togethers, family functions, and work related events. Plus one events like grand parties, weddings, birthdays, holidays, and etc? I'm new to a Polly relationship that could become serious as he called me his girl today and his wife wants me as a girlfriend.

Hi Gria2004,

I think a lot depends on whether you're "in the closet" or "out to the world." I am in a V and we are mostly in the closet. Technically my two companions are the legally lawfully wedded couple, I am "just a friend." Or adopted family, but with no mention of the romantic/sexual relationship I have with the lady of the house. So, work functions are handled with that illusion in mind. The legally lawfully wedded husband and wife go to work parties together while I stay home. That's the price of keeping our secret, and I've gotten used it. (Truth be told, I like having the house to myself.)

All three of us may go together to attend family get-togethers, but there are no PDA's between the lady and me. Compare to she and I going to the grocery store together, where we may do PDA's.

If you get together with this couple and become a triad with them, make sure they treat you fairly, okay?

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Well my partners and I are all out, so it's more of a crapshoot as to who goes to what. Most of the time, they don't have the same interests, and as introverts, they're not exactly clamoring to go to a work function! Holidays and family get togethers, well, we host a lot, so all my partners are there. If DarkKnight's family has something, then I go with him, and if PunkRock's family has something, I go there too. The extended families have more or less accepted us as a unit, but we've not had any events where my other partner wanted to attend. They'd rather stay home and do anything else, honestly. Who wants to make small talk with people who are only tolerant of you? Not these guys.

We are not "out" per se...but our (mine and MrS's - Dude is estranged from his) immediate families understand that Dude is somehow "family" and therefore is included (we don't tend to attend "extended family" functions). To be fair though, he has lived with us for coming on 5 years - so they have had time to adjust. (The BILs might be uncomfortable, but that is their problem.:rolleyes:) Like Kevin, we avoid Dude+JaneQ PDAs in those cases (although I am certain we have slipped up :cool:) as we do when we are out in public in the towns around home (where I may be seen by my clients).

Our friends (who are "in the know" or they wouldn't be friends) tend to issue "household" invitations. My friend, SLL, who will be getting married at some point, just asked me how many invites I will need :p.

For work related social functions - I hate them, I try to opt out. If I can't get out of it, then I take MrS (and that counts as one of my annual 3 "free favors" since he hates them too!)

I live my life. Who is ever available is the one who attends.

Back