Western Love Lab looking for participants currently having partner(s)

lovelab

The Western Love Lab is looking for polyamorous individuals to participate in a study on relationship processes in polyamory. To be eligible for the study, you must:
• Identify or philosophically agree with polyamory
• Be at least 18 years of age
Participation involves completion of an online, anonymous questionnaire.
If interested, please follow the link to the survey: http://www.uwopolystudy.ca/
If you are not eligible to participate, please share this survey with anyone else you know who meets the call.

Under "Inclusion Criteria," the Letter of Information said, "Individuals interested in joining the study must identify as consensually non-monogamous, be in dating or sexual relationships with at least two people, be at least 18 years of age, and speak English fluently." While my partner has two partners (her husband and me), I only have my one partner. Hence I don't qualify for the survey.

Under "Inclusion Criteria," the Letter of Information said, "Individuals interested in joining the study must identify as consensually non-monogamous, be in dating or sexual relationships with at least two people, be at least 18 years of age, and speak English fluently." While my partner has two partners (her husband and me), I only have my one partner. Hence I don't qualify for the survey.

It seems like these sort of things always happen in these surveys. It's as if they haven't even done a minimum amount of research. It is mildly interesting to see how we are viewed by mono-normative society.

I took the survey. The questions about how often do you have sex... Not everyone has sex every week!! There was no other option than say how many times a week. Seriously, there should have been other options - how many times a month or a year. A relationship is sexual even if the sex happens once or twice a year.

I took the survey. The questions about how often do you have sex... Not everyone has sex every week!! There was no other option than say how many times a week. Seriously, there should have been other options - how many times a month or a year. A relationship is sexual even if the sex happens once or twice a year.

I had the same issue. I tried to calculate it as zero point something but I got frustrated with the math and just put 0.

Also when living polyamorously - it is not a given that you even see all your partners every week, let alone have sex with them. My situation is simple in the sense that I live with both my current partners and normally see them both every day. But, in the past I used to visit Mark every second weekend - and arrangements like that are not uncommon in long distance relationships. The survey was lacking in this sense, too: they asked how many times a week you see each partner. Did not cause problems for me but will make the findings unreliable.

If you want to look at how much discrimination poly people face, it's a good idea to look more at someones background. My experiences will not be the same as a non-students, or a non-British person but neither of those were brought up.

I quit at the question about relationship status. It wasn't set up for multiple relationships.

Hi! I'm sorry you felt that way. We distributed the demographics questionnaires to multiple polyamorous groups and they haven't had a problem. Unfortunately, we are unable to change the questionnaire at this time because we have to go through extensive ethics reviews, but we would love to hear your advice so we can implement in future studies.

It seems like these sort of things always happen in these surveys. It's as if they haven't even done a minimum amount of research. It is mildly interesting to see how we are viewed by mono-normative society.

Hi, thank you for your interest!
Unfortunately, for this particular study we are not looking at individuals who are polyamorous but only have one partner. We don't mean to be discriminative, however we have limited resources and time to only study a specific topic at this time. Polyamory is a topic that hasn't be researched as much and, as monogamous relationships, there are different facet to this topic, so we are taking one step at a time.
We will post about future study that might apply to you in particular, please be patient. If you would like to contribute to this study you could help us by sharing this survey to individuals that might meet the criteria for the study.
Thanks again for your interest!

I had the same issue. I tried to calculate it as zero point something but I got frustrated with the math and just put 0.

Hi! Thanks for your participation and interest!
I apologize for the frustration that we caused... I would like to say for future responses, if you find yourself frustrated you can type in the frequency for example 2 per month, instead of just the number.
I hope this hasn't caused you a lot of distress.
We will look to improve for future studies. The subject of polyamory is still relatively new to researchers, as such we need to use trial and error to see what works and what doesn't.

If you want to look at how much discrimination poly people face, it's a good idea to look more at someones background. My experiences will not be the same as a non-students, or a non-British person but neither of those were brought up.

Hi! Thank you for your interest!
To address your concern, we are looking at statistics in general, and other measures that, unfortunately, I cannot disclose to you as it might influence someone else's response to the survey.
But we will take your suggestion in consideration for demographics and background studies regarding discrimination toward poly people for future studies.
Thanks again!

Hi! Thanks for your participation and interest!
I apologize for the frustration that we caused... I would like to say for future responses, if you find yourself frustrated you can type in the frequency for example 2 per month, instead of just the number.
I hope this hasn't caused you a lot of distress.
We will look to improve for future studies. The subject of polyamory is still relatively new to researchers, as such we need to use trial and error to see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks! It didn't cause distress, I'm just bad at math :p

[Repost!] Western Love Lab looking for polyamorous individuals

The Western Love Lab is looking for polyamorous individuals to participate in a study on relationship processes in polyamory. To be eligible for the study, you must:
• Identify or philosophically agree with polyamory
• Currently be in a relationship with at least two partners
• Be at least 18 years of age
Participation involves completion of an online, anonymous questionnaire. If interested, please follow the link to the survey: http://www.uwopolystudy.ca/ If you are not eligible to participate, please share this survey with anyone else you know who meets the call.

Thank you for everyone who participated already!
We received about 900 responses but would love to hear from more of you!
Thanks for the support :)

My partner is in a relationship with two partners (namely her husband and me), but I myself am only in a relationship with one partner (namely her). So, I do not qualify for the study/survey. Sorry about that.

My partner is in a relationship with two partners (namely her husband and me), but I myself am only in a relationship with one partner (namely her). So, I do not qualify for the study/survey. Sorry about that.

Hi! Thanks for your interest! It's a shame you don't meet the criteria, if you would like to help you could do so by forwarding the survey to your partner. It would be very much appreciated!

Alas, my partner is reeeally busy and I'd hate to impose on her. If she were a member on this forum it might be different. I do wish you well in continuing your study/survey.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

I'm still having doubts. For instance, saying "in a relationship with at least two partners" implies that my being involved with two people makes THEM partners.

And having a "philosophical agreement" with the core tenets of polyamory doesn't mean someone is practicing polyamory.

Can you point to a single clear definition (at least for theimmediate purpose) of that philosophy?

What sort of beta have you put this poll through in order to properly refine it?

I'm still having doubts. For instance, saying "in a relationship with at least two partners" implies that my being involved with two people makes THEM partners.

And having a "philosophical agreement" with the core tenets of polyamory doesn't mean someone is practicing polyamory.

Can you point to a single clear definition (at least for theimmediate purpose) of that philosophy?

What sort of beta have you put this poll through in order to properly refine it?

Hi! Thanks for your interest.
We are specifically looking at people who define themselves as polyamorous and currently have two partners or more, you define them as partners. The philosophical agreement refers to the fact that all partners agreed to such and no one is seeing other people secretively, aka cheating. I hope that answers your questions. Wish you the best!

Back