"Professor Marston and the Wonder Women"

It's kinda hard to un-see the grooming and coercion once you've seen it. But I can see how it would be easily missed since a lot of these practices have been considered normal and acceptable in various poly communities. Definitely having been the unicorn in the past, it points to a lot of the problems with it.

Here's another take on it from Franklin Veaux that might be worth reading. (I don't always agree with Franklin, but I do agree with this)

It's kinda hard to un-see the grooming and coercion once you've seen it. But I can see how it would be easily missed since a lot of these practices have been considered normal and acceptable in various poly communities. Definitely having been the unicorn in the past, it points to a lot of the problems with it.

Here's another take on it from Franklin Veaux that might be worth reading. (I don't always agree with Franklin, but I do agree with this)

Well that was complete nonsense.

Without taking a stand on the actual issue - this article was a great reminder of why I just don't care for Veaux's writing. But to each his own....

Without taking a stand on the actual issue - this article was a great reminder of why I just don't care for Veaux's writing. But to each his own....

As I said I don't always agree with Franklin and I'm also not a fan. However, he does point out the issues with the film that I have even if it's not in a style I'd prefer.

Passive-aggressive much? I understand perfectly.

No, you will not convince me to agree with you.

When you respond to points being made with "Well that was complete nonsense" and nothing else, I'm not sure what kind of response you would expect to that? Because clearly there was no intent to engage any of the points.

And I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Boards like this are performative. We generally put counterpoints out there for others to read.

And here's some food for thought- if Professor Marston was a single man and behaved towards Olivia the way they did as a couple, it would be creepy AF. I'm not sure why it becomes sweet because it's a couple doing it.

What was nonsense was Veaux's "review", which was more of a parody. I'll be happy to tear it apart line by line if you'd like. It will have to wait until I get back home to my computer.

He definitely wrote the review in a very annoying style and I would have preferred something more straightforward that points out the creepy shit they do. But regardless of the annoying style, the points still stand.

I actually like the style of his reviews, and I'm used to them so this one wasn't a shock or anything. I enjoyed the movie a whole lot, but I also think he raises good points. I thought Elizabeth in particular was very aggressive and passive-aggressive in the movie, telling her husband she's not jealous then immediately harassing the new student and acting like she'd had sex with her husband or been hitting on him (when she hadn't). But just because we're more used to seeing Pr. Marston's actions (hitting on a student who depends on him and who is in an exclusive, committed relationship, being a peeping Tom, etc) doesn't mean he's more excusable than she is.

Back