Kevin's Hetero MFM Poly-Fi V

Thanks ... Looks like I'll be separated from my computer (My Preciousssss ...) while I'm on "vacay." I'll be logged on today for a few more hours tops; after that, expect to see me again perhaps on Saturday.

It'll probably be a fun trip overall ... yet it is a disruption of my routine, and you know how we aspies love our routines.

Perhaps I'll get to see "Interstellar" during the trip. My Utah friends are giving it rave reviews, so I'm intrigued.

Kevin

Your second to the last paragraph sums up what it's all about, contentment. When someone's definition of love is found, received the same and like minded and always the core value being compassion, then contentment is the result and isn't that what were all looking for. I read the Love thread today and just Loved the opening thread. The very core of love is compassion and it's what convinces me what polyamory relationships are really about compassion for all involved. I think I came across a thread where a partner was feeling neglected and disregarded because a lover was occupying themselves with new and more lovers. Love is never selfish or greedy. Such is why Poly lifestyle can actually be more fulfilling because you have the choice and chance to see who really will step up to the challenge of loving commitment and walk away confident that person was not like minded. I hope this hasant veered off your reason for your background post. It just strikes me how much more compassionate people who understand the poly lifestyle are and how contentment comes with hard work and knowing what you want.

Good points realamore.

Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, I was awfully tired when I got home yesterday and basically crashed. However, the trip with my brother and his wife was fun. And, I did have the privilege to watch Interstellar on Friday. Warning! Minor spoilers in the rest of this post.

I liked the science (and believable science fiction) that they portrayed, although sometimes they stretched it so far I just had to suspend my disbelief. Black holes have always been fantasized as secret magic portals to higher dimensions and they may be, but even if they are, getting ground to an infinitely small point of nothingness kind of takes the charm out of that idea. Same idea with wormholes, unless the Saturn wormhole was some kind of an especially gentle (and reeeally stable) type of wormhole. Still, it was nice to see many believable scientific ideas worked into an engaging plot (and great acting). Compared to what Hollywood typically churns out, Interstellar rose to an amazing standard.

I liked that the movie didn't race breakneck from one scene to the next with high-octane (read: ridiculous) action from start to finish. American (and apparently New Zealander) filmmakers have been jumping aboard the high-octane bandwagon lately. It was nice to experience a little build-up of reflection and suspense. This was no Transformers nonsense, this was worthy of actually being called a movie. It didn't throw everything into special effects. Refreshing.

There were some weird questions the movie didn't answer. Like, why Saturn? Why not set the wormhole in orbit around Earth? Also, why another galaxy? The Milky Way has a buttload of stars: easily enough to supply just as good as a handful of candidates for colonization as any other galaxy. I guess "Saturn" and "other galaxy" just sounded more dramatic. Filmmakers can't help but make things more dramatic.

If there's a book based on the movie (or better yet a book the movie was based on) I might just have to read it. I'm hoping for more scientific details and explanations. Such as, I'll bet the path from Earth to Saturn was a pronounced ellipse (around the Sun) that touched both Earth's orbit and Saturn's orbit. If so, it's relatively easy for me to imagine an Earth-to-Saturn trip not taking too much longer than an Earth-to-Mars trip.

After that we get into smaller details and I only wanted to shower you with a small trickle of tantalizing spoilers. The one interesting point of discussion that caught my attention in the movie is when one of the characters said, "We continue to love people after they're dead. Why do we do that? It makes no evolutionary sense." It's possibly the best argument for (God and) the supernatural that I've heard so far. Not quite enough to convince me: Nature doesn't necessarily create "perfect organisms," in fact it's the nature of evolution to experiment with various kinds of imperfection. But I did feel a slight moment of belief right then, probably akin to the, "Why does anything exist?" question.

It was a very enjoyable movie and kept my attention from start to finish.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Note:

Having just got back from one trip, I already have another trip coming up. After I log off on Tuesday, it'll be a handful of days before I get back. I'll be going to Utah with my older brother. Bleah; that's too many trips in a row for me. That's right, I'm being a Negative Nellie about the whole thing. And it won't be long after that when we'll be moving from Olympia to Yelm. I suppose I'll be exhausted a lot in December, as well as suffering from forum withdrawal. :mad: [/vent]

Hello, Kevin. I hope you are doing better than you were before. I am glad that you enjoyed your trip.

Thank you for the review of Interstellar. I have heard rave reviews about it. I might actually sit down and watch it.

I do hope you have a safe trip to and from Utah. December is an exhausting time of year. I hope that you squeeze in some rest. We all have our Negative Nellie moments. Sending you good vibes for the trip and for the upcoming move!

Thanks Ry. What would I do without my Negative Nellie moments? Life would be no fun without them. ;) Yeah, I'll be okay. Just a little disoriented.

You'll like Interstellar. I think it's just in the theaters right now, but I think it's worth a trip to the theater and I rarely think that about a movie.

Always a pleasure to hear from you my friend.

We are going to see Interstellar tonight. I am sure you are right. I probably will like it. :p

Our cinemas are special. Most movies stay for months. I always laugh when my American friends run out to see movies the first night or two. They all say the cinemas in their respective cities only keep movies about three or four weeks at most. We just saw Gone Girl last week, and it has been here since the start of October. It is now December, and the movie is still showing.

Life would be dull without Negative Nellie moments. No one is always happy and gung-ho about doing this or that. Who wants to be around the ever so agreeable "yes men/women?"

As always, it is truly a pleasure to talk with you!

Thanks. ;) Enjoy that show.

Grrrr, if it's not one trip it's another. I'm gradually getting settled into the new house in Yelm, but my brother on Vashon Island has been reportedly obsessing about me and desires my presence starting tomorrow and running through Saturday. So expect me to be well away from my computer during that time; won't be functional forum-wise and might not log in again until like Sunday.

It's possible my brother is afraid I'll be all depressed over New Year's because I won't be enjoying a big party ... Probably not but it's a mystery why he's got that bug up his butt. I'm sure it'll be a pleasant visit, it always is, it's just a hassle packing and driving and stuff. Anyway, I won't be around on the forum for like almost a week and thought I should give fair notice of that.

Hope you have a happy new year!

I'm so neglectful of this blog. If there were an ASPCA for blog threads, they would nail me to the wall for neglect on this one.

Aaaand as always, the problem is I always have to rack my brain to think of anything remotely interesting to post. Ahem. If I really posted the high points of my average day, my average blog post would read, "I posted many posts on Polyamory.com today. Woohoo!" Very little else fills my time unless you count eating and sleeping. I do sleep an awful lot ... and the scale at the doc's office always testifies that I could do a whole lot less eating ...

But hey I did lose 2½ pounds between my last two visits. :)

I've had a number of enjoyable visits with my older brother, his wife, and/or his wife's sister who's staying with them "temporarily." She's alright. She sure gets me into a lot of mischief though. Almost half as much as she gets herself in.

I think it was during my last visit there that I finally watched Parts II and III of the Hobbit movies. They were reasonably good (boosted by the material Tolkien gave them to work with). If only they would have put that much overkill into the Lord of the Rings movies. It's terribly sad that Lord of the Rings wasn't a six-movie series. Tolkien wanted the books to be a six-book series. But the publishers won that battle.

Peter Jackson's one crucial weakness (and he has many strengths) in handling Tolkien's work is that he has too much high-octane moviemaker in him and not enough of the slow-paced mystery and suspense element that Tolkien's books have. And I have a few nits to pick -- the biggest nit being Jackson's version of Shelob. Oh, hell! Sure Jackson's Shelob was reasonably scary but he could have done so much better. When Tolkien said Shelob had one large eye, he didn't mean that some mean old orc threw a rock at Shelob's other eye and took it out. Now we're feeling sorry for Shelob. Gah! Peter! Tolkien meant that Shelob's genetic eye design was like that of a cyclops: one giant black orb perfectly centered, surrounded by a chaos of small black eyes. Now *that* would have inspired a healthy horror in me ... something *that* horrifically alien ...

Anywayz -- an awful lot of superfluous stuff was added to the Hobbit movies -- obviously -- but, it was still decent, and I did like the way they wrapped things up in the third movie.

Like me, my brother has left the (Mormon) church, and like me has many frustrations about the church, and all the nonsense the Brethren do, because, as I said to my brother, you never completely leave the church. After investing decades of your heart and soul into trying to aid the church, you can't help but be frustrated when you see how the church throws it all away. So, a good bit of my visits with my brother have involved long rants and philosophical talks with each other about the church.

Meanwhile, I am continuing to get settled in here in our "new" house in Yelm. I worried a lot that not having my own attached bath would drive me over the cliff of complete insanity, but I have coped with that inconvenience amazingly well so far.

Behind the back wall of my bedroom is our claustrophobic sliver of a kitchen, all shelving leaving enough walking room for only one person at a time. We have a lot of living room area, so the plan is to move (and enlarge) the kitchen into where a bunch of the living room is now ... then seal off the old kitchen space, carve a new doorway between that space and my bedroom, and turn it into my very own attached bath. I have learned that I can survive without my own bathroom, but when I get that luxury back, I can assure you there will be much rejoicing. :D

There's a good chance I'll even have my own shower. [Hoping ... hoping ... hoping ...]

Wow, my life hasn't sounded this exciting in a long time. Good thing I neglected my blog, it allowed me to save up. :cool:

I agree. Adorkable, even.

Sounds like a great plan.

It is! Now if it'll just come together.

Sometimes no news is good news, my friend!

I'm glad the bathroom thing has been manageable so far. I know you were really worried about that.

Yeah ... and it's not over yet. But knock on wood, so far so good.

Back