Pet peeve: "sleeping together"

I wish we could just say "had sex with", it's so much easier.

But we can! And we should! And I do! I never say "sleep with," and I have been having sex with people since 1972!

But we can! And we should! And I do! I never say "sleep with," and I have been having sex with people since 1972!

That sounds almost like one of those taglines in a commercial:

Proudly serving breakfast since 1894

Happy having sex since 1972

:D

Well, when my group and I say "sleeping together" it literally means we sleep in the same bed. We have a nice system going for that actually. Seemed pretty natural that he sleeps in the middle, I get my side near the door with my stupidly heavy pillow for my neck issues (water pillow), and she sleeps next to the window because that's her thing.

We call sex "Kinky fun time", because maybe we don't have actual sex all the time, and we surely aren't sleeping.

I think one of the fun things about open honest ethical relationships is that you can sleep together, and I mean sleep and wake up next to a lover, which to me is a fantastic thing. So we definitely use the phrase sleeping together to mean going to bed at bedtime with a lover, yes Sex may or may not occur but sleep always does. For sex we would say having sex, or fucking, or playing depending on the audience. Although I have to admit to using the phrase "an item" to describe a sexual relationship to a less liberal person recently.

I was just reminded of another term similar to sleeping together. I was watching a tv show from the early 90s and the husband said to the wife, "You told me you only went to bed with four people before me."

That expression always makes me think of Woody Allen films. It sounds so dated.

As a former student of linguistics, and someone who leans hard descriptivist, this entire thread fascinates and amuses me. :D

I love to collect and use various slang and euphemisms—the more variety in my speech and writing, the merrier. I've probably used in complete seriousness 90% of the terms people on this thread have complained about. Of course, I'm a big fan of variety in general. ;)

I was just talking to Jon, and something we were joking about reminded me of this thread. And that is "V Card"

When I heard people were calling their virginity their "V Card" I had this urge to run screaming. Or smack the first person who uttered that phrase. It simultaneously exasperates me and makes me feel a little ragey.

I just...

V Card

AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *smack*

I ran into a glass wall. Sigh.

Auuuuuuuugh, V card is the worst!!! :eek:

Do you have your V card? ;) No shopping without it.

I've heard it called 'V plates' as though the body is a car and you only get your 'L plates' once you've lost your virginity. *rolleyes*

I agree that V-card is horrible. And so is "deflowered," or anything that refers to a woman's virginity as a flower. It always makes me picture someone pulling a daisy off of a vulva. :eek:

There are some people in sexual relationships with their motor vehicles... :eek:

Oooh! There must be an old euphemism using the term "rumble seat"! If not, I suggest "Snugglin' in the rumble seat"

Leetah

Re: L plates ... what does the L stand for?

Back