Books you really ought to read

Ravenscroft

Banned
I was going to work up an article, but then I realized I've read literal hundreds of books that I have found valuable in negotiating nonmonogamy & what we now know as polyamory. At best, such an article would be ungainly, so I figured I'd jot down some thoughts as I weed out my library.

First is one that many of you might have read in college: How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff. At one time, a bunch of us thought it'd be really useful to teach a critical-thinking class, & we agreed this would be near the top.

Originally published in 1954, this little paperback (142 pages) manages to be both entertaining (even hilarious) & enlightening.

Ostensibly about statistics, I found that much of it ties not only into developing skills with critical thinking, but in recognizing propaganda & thought-shaping techniques.

After reading it, you will never again be able to let some statistic go wobbling by without wondering whether there was any truth in the numbers, & whether someone is messing with your head, possibly by waving a "gosh wow" number in hopes of baffling you with BS.

At my job, they cracked down on people who call in sick on Mondays & Fridays. Apparently, some joker pointed out to a manager that "did you know 40% of weekly call-ins happen on those days??" Of course, panic ensued... never stopping to note that ~20% of call-ins happen ANY day of the week -- they might as well have penalized Tuesday & Thursday. :rolleyes:

I already distrust statistics but that sounds like a fun read.

I'm sure you realize it's common for people to call in on a Monday or Friday to extend their weekend :rolleyes:

If you liked that book, you'll enjoy Freakonomics as well.

Back