Can you be poly friendly, yet not suited to poly?

Thing is...so many of the "you need this skill to poly well" is just good relating. Period. As I've said elsewhere too, I don't necessarily think that poly (or kinky) folk are better at relating as a rule. But I do think that many people in their quest to explore something that isn't the standard social default of relating, will seek perspectives of others, thereby getting access and exposure to ideas, as opposed to just taking for granted "the way things work" in life and relationships. Therefore drawing on the wisdom of many instead of just whatever Mom and Dad may have modeled...and thus hopefully guiding good behavior and helping to work on issues and so forth.

Communication skills are certainly one of those things.

I'm actually in a monthly class at a (BDSM) House here in the Springs (incidentally the one that House of Reps candidate Misty Plowright lives in) where the subject is "Effective Communication." I'm looking forward to the class on "How to say NO." I'm not very good at it.

Bottom line is that political commentary belongs in one thread here. It's just distracting from the topic at hand and doesn't reflect well on any of us unless we are specifically discussing politics in that one place. I'm not a mod, of course, but as a community member, I think it's worth keeping in mind.

Back