To Blog or Not to Blog?

PolyPenandInk

So, I have been playing with the idea of creating a poly blog for my experiences and stories for my poly life and information for others as well about poly. Being a writer, I of course love love love to write, and I felt perhaps others would love to read about it as well. I see there are a lot of "blogs" in this section that are continuous threads. Not really sure if I would like to do it this way since previous posts are not as easily accessible and there are no other pages to link to for other information.

I was thinking that I could post on my personal blog and here in this section as well for both members and those outside this site to be able to read. Do many of you also have personal poly blogs? I would love to check out some other people's blogs. Still haven't fully decided yet and would love to hear opinions!

~Layne

Hi Layne,

Couldn't tell if you were aware, but we have a Life stories and blogs board for that exact purpose. Have a look at it and explore some of the blogs already there if you feel so inclined. My blog is at http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=257039 if you're interested.

As far as I can tell, creating your own blog would be a good idea. You can write as little or as much as you want in it. And there will always be people who read it.

With regards,
Kevin T.

Hi Layne,

Couldn't tell if you were aware, but we have a Life stories and blogs board for that exact purpose.

I actually meant to post this in that section to get other blog reader's opinions lol, but when you have 15 windows open at once, things get confused and I ended up posting it in fireplace by mistake o_O I have enjoyed the stories I have read so far while browsing it.

I hear what you are saying. the blog section here is mostly continuing personal stories. It's not like a wordpress blog site where you can write articles and sort them according to subject or anything.

Personally, I am too lazy to keep a blog site going. I've had a few ideas (not poly) but just haven't been motivated enough to do it. Since you are a writer you would probably do good at it.

I have a small blog here on the forums, though I mainly started it to have a place to write out my backstory and think through current relationship events ‘out loud’ as it were. On my personal Wordpress blog (linked below) I have written three posts/essays so far about polyamory, likely more to come but I am a slow writer. But my wordpress blog has other purposes as well (I post poetry, photos, personal growth reflections, stuff about dealing with chronic illness, and the monthly challenges I run on my Living Vividly Guild on Habitica.com). Thanks to the mix of topics, I don’t make a big deal out of the poly content there... there just isn’t enough of it yet to merit that, I feel.

Hi Layne - like Sunray, you could also start a blog on one of the free blog sites - and then place a link in your signature block here. That might make it more accessible to those outside the Forum. Wherever it lands, looking forward to reading some of your thoughts. Al

I hear what you are saying. the blog section here is mostly continuing personal stories. It's not like a wordpress blog site where you can write articles and sort them according to subject or anything.

Personally, I am too lazy to keep a blog site going. I've had a few ideas (not poly) but just haven't been motivated enough to do it. Since you are a writer you would probably do good at it.

Yes, I have a wordpress blog for writing and book reviews, and I really like how easy wordpress is. Since I already am a blogger, I like the idea of being able to easy navigate through the blog and extra pages. A lot of times, it can be very hard to keep a blog going because it really does take a lot of time and commitment!

~Layne

I have a small blog here on the forums, though I mainly started it to have a place to write out my backstory and think through current relationship events ‘out loud’ as it were. On my personal Wordpress blog (linked below) I have written three posts/essays so far about polyamory, likely more to come but I am a slow writer. But my wordpress blog has other purposes as well (I post poetry, photos, personal growth reflections, stuff about dealing with chronic illness, and the monthly challenges I run on my Living Vividly Guild on Habitica.com). Thanks to the mix of topics, I don’t make a big deal out of the poly content there... there just isn’t enough of it yet to merit that, I feel.

Hi Sunray! I have read some of your blogt site, and I will look and see if I can find your personal one here as well. I also worry about the amount of content and if readers would find it interesting enough to want to continue reading. Though I have been writing for a long time, the self doubt hasn't gone away lol.

~Layne

Hi Layne - like Sunray, you could also start a blog on one of the free blog sites - and then place a link in your signature block here. That might make it more accessible to those outside the Forum. Wherever it lands, looking forward to reading some of your thoughts. Al

Thanks Al! Adding the link in my signature and even current blog posts into my posts here would be a good idea. I would like both people here and readers outside of the forum to have easy access. I enjoy reading as many stories as I can about poly and I'm sure there are plenty of others as well.

~Layne

Back