What is polyamory?

I am a huge fan of literals. To me is simply means many loves. Past that are relationship and ethical constructs of the individuals involved.

The design of the relationship and how well it communicates or operates does not make it poly... loving more than one person does. Does the person who sucks at communication, maybe hides the truth and enjoys the love of multiple people not think hes poly... I don't think so. He just happens to suck at relationships.

thats my take anyways.

The design of the relationship and how well it communicates or operates does not make it poly...

There are two polyamorys (-ies?), I suppose. One would simply be a matter of multiple (simultanious) loves, and the other would be the more honest, ethical, emerging tradition falling under that label -- which makes it a sort of socio-cultural movement (or, ____________?). I prefer the latter, and don't have the least problem acknowledging that it is a cultural creation with many cultural voices shaping it. Humans, after all, are social animals.

There are two polyamorys (-ies?), I suppose. One would simply be a matter of multiple (simultanious) loves, and the other would be the more honest, ethical, emerging tradition falling under that label -- which makes it a sort of socio-cultural movement (or, ____________?). I prefer the latter, and don't have the least problem acknowledging that it is a cultural creation with many cultural voices shaping it. Humans, after all, are social animals.

If you don't mind a little debate...;)

Poly in its own way is the.. extension of, or even the antithesis of monogamy. (or maybe both, I would have to think on that). They are two different relationship designs of course, but with the same thing in common... people.

Is it less monogamous to be a shitty husband? You are still monogamous as long as you don't cheat? right. Once you cheat, obviously you are something else. But strictly speaking you are monogamous. :)

Then again, I don't view poly as a "movement". I avoid the poly machine quite a bit. Its probably the one aspect that I don't crave at all (in many ways I even pull back from). Social and legal acceptance is not something I am concerned with, I really never have been actually (this is in regards to anything)... so that might well be a good dividing line for me to look at

thanks, you gave me something to think on ;)...

I would agree, there are two :)...

I would agree, there are two :)...

That's only the first divide. The initial split is between polyamory as simply "multiple loves" and polyamory as a cultural phenomenon with ethical and social norms. The latter easily divides further. And so it is with all social things humans create.

Back