Sex history calculator

opalescent

Slate has a sexual history calculator that calculates how typical (or not) you are for your age and gender. It only takes into account number of sexual partners and doesn't break down results any further than that. But I thought it was really interesting regardless.

Here is the link: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/moneybox/2015/05/sex_history_calculator_is_your_number_of_sexual_partners_low_average_or.html

I have to admit I was surprised at how my 'number' stacks up to the average. The average for a woman my age seems really low to me but then again, I am hardly a 'typical' example of the demographic.

My number was 13 partners lifetime, woman, and early 40s. Apparently I've 'done the deed with more people than 87% of my peers'.

Curious about other folks 'numbers' and how that may (or may not compare) with the average.

Biologically male, age 41...

Exactly average (at the 50% mark) if one counts in virtual (phone/cyber) sex partners - which is 8 people, in my case. (It may be interesting that I "racked up" that average number during only one year, which has been a good long while ago now. I guess that was my time of "experimenting"? :D)

However, if you only count real life sex with biophysical bodies... I'm, to exactly noone's surprise, a one percenter (99% of folks have had more sex partners than zero at age 41).

81% above.... Lol

@InsaneMystic,

I did note they did not explicitly define sex although perhaps I missed that in the article. I personally approve of sex being what one defines it as.

On a side note, being somewhat competitive, I did play around with the numbers to see what would be needed to reach high 90s percentage, just for giggles. It was around 25 or 30. I have a goal now! (Just kidding! :D)

I also put in my number as a dude and found I was average. Kinda disappointing!

Yep, 97% above, but I'd be curious to see how this changed if it was only for antipodeans (AUS/NZ) as we're a promiscuous bunch down here.

My results (at a lifetime total of two sexual partners):
"You've done the deed with more people than 12 percent of your peers."

Female - a dozen or so of each gender, so I put 25 - age 41, 95%
But, I cheated - why a cut-off of age 18? My numbers are since 16.

My results (at a lifetime total of two sexual partners):

Ah, Kevin... I'm with ya. :)

Lifetime total of two. More than 24% of my peers. (In my 40's)

How many sex partners have I had? BOTH OF THEM. :p

My results: "You've done the deed with more people than basically all of your peers." My number is not even on the chart.

I'm 55. I thought at least some of the people my age would have caught up with me by now. I didn't count the number from age 14 to 18 (which was only 4 if I'm counting just intercourse) -- plus I was monogamous during my marriage, making it only one person during all those years. From age 39 to 50, I had one partner, my husband. Since having entered singlehood again from 50 to 55, there hasn't been that many (let's see... I might be forgetting 1 or 2, but there were 10 that I recall during the past 5 years. That's only 2 sex partners per year since my husband and I split). So, my off-the-chart number covers mostly the ages from 18 to 39, during which time I suppose I was just a very active single person (oh, my crazy 20s!). I admit, I have had lots of one-night-stands in my lifetime.

Sigh... I'm an outlier even in sluttiness.

Last edited:
I'm 41. "You've done the deed with more people than 90 percent of your peers." I'm actually pretty shocked. I was a late bloomer, and I was in a long-term mono relationship from 26-40. Julian has been my only partner since then. I never would have thought 16 was a high number of sex partners for a woman my age in the U.S.

I think most people lie or forget when it comes to answering questions like these. I'm pretty certain a lot of women don't like admitting how many sex partners they've had, no matter what the number is. The idea that women can and often do want, enjoy, and pursue sex as much as men do is still frowned upon. I hate that there is still a double standard about sex (although I did enter my number as a male my age and it's still higher than all my peers).

It said, "You've done the deed with more people than 71 percent of your peers."

Huh. Curious. I estimated that I'd "done the deed" with 20 people in my lifetime of nearly 50 years. I may have been with a few more, perhaps. Or even possibly less. I did not wish to spend the time to do a count, which would have suffered from an imperfect memory, anyway.

I would have guessed that the average person would have had many more sex partners over such a long duration. I'm anything but promiscuous. I've just happened to have had a few casual encounters -- which I thought was rather ordinary.

I would have guessed that the average person would have had many more sex partners over such a long duration. I'm anything but promiscuous. I've just happened to have had a few casual encounters -- which I thought was rather ordinary.
Agreed. I was pretty baffled that eight sex partners was considered perfectly average at 41, male. I would definitely have estimated a good tad higher than that.

You've done the deed with more people than 93 percent of your peers.

I'm 26. I estimated my total number at 20. Give or take a few. Hubby actually remembers my sexual partners better than I do, in some cases, so I may have missed some.

I don't get the over 18 thing, but it doesn't look like it makes a lot of difference to me... I'm at 97% if I take a guess at how many were after 18 or 98% if I use my true lifetime number. My numbers aren't exact but I think they're at least w/in 2 or 3 -- lifetime total is 55 (30 between 15 and 19, mono w one from 19 to 44, and about 25 in the last year -- I have some lost time to make up for!). I woulda thought this number was not crazy high for a person who likes sex. Maybe not a lot of people do? lol

It does seem a little crazy that I've had sex w about twice as many men this year as most women my age have in their lifetimes. I'm not sure if I think it's them or me that're crazy, though. And I totally feel like I'm not getting enough sex!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I think it's them or me that're crazy, though. And I totally feel like I'm not getting enough sex!

I don't think there is any necessary relationship between statistical normality (or abnormality) and being crazy. You might be "crazy" if your (I almost used the word behavior! Sheesh) ... if your activities cause you or others suffering and you feel compelled to go on doing them anyway. Maybe. It depends.

Is it getting a little warm in here?

Back