Rotating word games and puzzles

River

... or, rather, ever-changing word games and puzzles.

It goes like this: Someone posts a word game or puzzle along with a description of how the game or puzzle works. Someone solves the puzzle or wins the game. And then a new game or puzzle can be offered up.

I guess we'll be needing games and puzzles that do end in solving or winning here.

The winner / solver can post his or her game or puzzle after winning or solving. Or he or she can leave that to another player.

I'm making this puzzle / game up on the fly. I'll call it the Long Word Game. In the Long Word Game the creator of the game offers a long word to be worked with. The players / solvers are invited to take this long word and either (a) make a sentence or a phrase out of it's letters (each letter to be used only once, and all to be used), or (b) make another word with those same letters.

Sentences are preferred over phrases, but a phrase will do. If someone solves it with a phrase, the game is still open to a sentence solution, but a new game can be offered up after a phrase solution is successful. The new game need not be the same kind of game, of course!

If after three full days (three 24 hr periods) have passed and there has been no solution, another game or puzzle can be added to the thread.

Our word:

Sesquipedalian

Edit:

I've been able to construct a phrase from this word, using all of the letters only once with no letters left over. So it is doable.

I won't solve my own puzzle game, though. It's up to you.

Last edited:
I have but one question. Actually i thought of a second question as i was typing out the first sentence. So now i have but two questions. At least i haven't thought of a third question while typing the second sentence. Still no third question upon typing the fourth sentence. So... i guess it's safe to ask.

Question 1: Will this count toward our final grade?

Question 2: Will there be cake?

And dang, i did come up with a third question after all:

Question 3: What is the average velocity of an unladen swallow?

Last edited:
If you're bored or stumped by the above Long Word Game, feel free to attempt this word:

Antidisestablishmentarianism

or

triskaidekaphobia

Yes, these words are in dictionaries!

Last edited:
Question 1: Will this count toward our final grade?

Question 2: Will there be cake?

And dang, i did come up with a third question after all:

Question 3: What is the average velocity of an unladen swallow?

1. Yes!

2. Yes!

3. ... Um. I would hazard to guess it to be roughly 32 mph. But this is just a guess.

Sesquipedalian = I equip an ass led.

Doesn't make much sense, but it is a bona fide sentence.

Antidisestablishmentarianism:

Mini mental shit beast said, "rains!"

:)

Close, but no cigar. Or cake. The long word has four s's. And your sentence has only three. I stopped exploring letters after the second one I tried, being s.

Nice try, though. :)

Sesquipedalian = I equip an ass led.

Doesn't make much sense, but it is a bona fide sentence.

Um. Doesn't a sentence have to be grammatically correct and complete? I'm not convinced this "sentence" is either.

Nice try though.

Close, but no cigar. Or cake. The long word has four s's. And your sentence has only three.

Shoot. I thought I counted right. But easy enough to fix.

Mini mental shit beasts said, "rains!" :)

Galagirl

Okay, I'm not going to count all of the letters this time. I'll assume you have. No one is contesting it, so here's a piece of cake for you. :):p

Would anyone like to offer a moderately challenging word puzzle or game?

Back