LSB Weight Loss Daily Goals and Accomplishments

Reverie

"LSB" for "Life Stories & Blogs"—a weight loss thread for those of us who haunt the blog section. Let's post here the little things we do or aim to do each day to further our progress toward our goals.

I'll start.

I would like to lose about 15 pounds (most of which I've gained in the past four months, yikes!). To this end, I am trying to wake up early and run for at least 20 minutes every weekday, and I also started the 30-day plank challenge today to firm up core tone.

I am also trying to cut down on the amount that I drink, and eat better, but I am still working out what "eat better" looks like for me.

Today and yesterday I was good about the exercise part and eating during the work day (mostly fruit and peanut butter).

But yesterday evening, I was not so good about the food and drink. I had two cocktails and a beer after work, as well as eating some candy, olive bread, and brie right when I got gome because I was ravenous. And then Rider's tradition is eating wings and tater tots when he watches a wrestling pay-per-view, but he recently stopped eating meat, so I fried us up some fake chicken nuggets in homemade buffalo sauce and baked some tots. Whoops.

Today my small, manageable goal is to be better than I was yesterday when it comes to food and drink choices. I will have fewer drinks, and I will make a healthier dinner. If I am ravenous right when I get home, I will eat fruit instead of sweets and cheese. :)

And when I wake up tomorrow, I will run and do the plank challenge again.

Great idea, Reverie! My weight loss goal is 5 lbs but I want to tone up and decrease body fat.

What I'm doing now: Using the eliptical for ten minutes before work and using the swork it app on my phone 3 days/week. I've also cut out sodas and high-calorie coffee drinks.

My goal for the next week: increase the elliptical to fifteen minutes, reduce my sugar intake, and use my weight bench for my arms/legs 4x/week.

My two biggest obstacles are time...because I'm crazy/busy at work at the moment. And, my sugar addiction :rolleyes:

What I'm doing now: Using the eliptical for ten minutes before work and using the swork it app on my phone 3 days/week.

How long have you been using the app, and do you like it a lot? I'm always down to try new apps. Right now I use MapMyRun, but that's only cardio, obviously, and it looks from that link like yours has a wider variety of options. For a while I was using MyFitnessPal to track calories, but I am very much a "handful of this, dash of that" kind of cook, and measuring stuff out just got too tedious for me.

How long have you been using the app, and do you like it a lot? I'm always down to try new apps. Right now I use MapMyRun, but that's only cardio, obviously, and it looks from that link like yours has a wider variety of options. For a while I was using MyFitnessPal to track calories, but I am very much a "handful of this, dash of that" kind of cook, and measuring stuff out just got too tedious for me.

For less than two weeks. I like it ok. I haven't delved into it to see if I can incorporate any of my equipment to amp up my work out...but it's a nice change of pace. If I don't change up my routine, I tend not to stay compliant long. I use MapMyRun, too, when I jog or walk :)

I'm also thisclose to plunking down for an intro package for a pilates studio down the street from me that offers 5 classes for $40 for new members. I've never really done pilates before but I think it would be helpful, and they have a class that starts late enough that I could get there after work without rushing.

My current weight loss goal is 35lbs, to lose the weight that (according to my fitness pal) I mostly gained after my grandmother died in December. I'm down 10 since the beginning of March.

I'm back to drinking my water, not drinking excessively on a regular basis, and watching my sugar. Alcohol is the bane of my existence, because it's so good, but also loaded with calories and things that make me want to eat things high in fat and starch.

I continue to exercise (crossfit twice a week), but walking my dog and being out in the yard more will help too.

Thank you for starting this thread!

I would really like to lose the 5ish pounds I have gained since going back on the pill. (I'd be happy to keep whatever fraction of those landed in my boobs, though ;)) I feel really stuck because I already work out and eat healthy, and I'm not sure where to cut calories/add exercise without driving myself insane.

Currently I run - usually 6 miles, about an hour - 3 nights a week. Another 3 are toning/flexibility/core stuff - also an hour.My "night off" I mow the lawn. I can't really do mornings because that's when I walk my dogs. (Which is not really "exercise", we go about a mile in 30 minutes. They like to stop and smell the roses. And pee on them.) I'm eating about 1800 calories a day, which is my normal.

I definitely need to be better about eating when I go out :cool: At home I'm careful with portions, and I bring my own food to work. At restaurants, not so careful. Also, I rarely drink at home, maybe one or two beers a week. But I'll have 3 margaritas some nights at a good Mexican place :rolleyes:

For now I'm going to *try* to switch one of my core days to a run and see if that helps, calorie burn-wise.

And any advice on not blowing a weeks worth of hard work in one night at a restaurant would be greatly appreciated!!!

What I'm doing now: Using the eliptical for ten minutes before work and using the swork it app on my phone 3 days/week.

That app looks awesome! I usually do yoga/Pilates/dance DVDs on my no-run days, but I'm completely bored of them all. Thanks for the recommendation :)

For now I'm going to *try* to switch one of my core days to a run and see if that helps, calorie burn-wise.

I've read—and occasionally tried, but not this week so far—that interval sprints during a run help break a plateau and work a "weight-training style" burn into running. I know when I've tried them that I am actually sore the next day. I intend to re-incorporate them soon.

Also, if anyone wants my MyFitnessPal handle to be buddies, feel free to send me a private message and I'll add you. I've been on there a lot more now that a friend is, and having people to cheer on helps me =D

Cool idea! Thank you.

UF put me on to Runkeeper, which can do all sorts of different activities (I cycle, because running is too hard on my body). It's much less intrusive than Mapmyrun. If anyone else uses Runkeeper, pm me and we could buddy up?

I want (kinda need) to lose 25 kg. To do this, I need to combine rather strict diet (including no alcohol or fizzy drink, obviously) and exercise regimes because one or the other just doesn't work.

Alcohol is the bane of my existence, because it's so good, but also loaded with calories and things that make me want to eat things high in fat and starch.

I am right there with you on this. WHY IS IT SO DELICIOUS? And the center of so many social engagements? When I abstained for almost three months over the fall, a great many aspects of my life improved, but my social stamina tanked. It is the only balm for my introversion, and the only boost that can keep me engaged and energized once it starts to get late. Sigh.

I have at least 50 pounds to lose. I use MyFitnessPal most days (I actually need to update my stuff for today).

I gained about 25 pounds while pregnant, but have lost about 30 in the 8 weeks since giving birth. I seemed to have stopped there, though. I'm having a hard time limiting calories because breastfeeding makes me so hungry ALL THE TIME! I also still have ridiculous cravings for sweets. Like, I just ate a giant ass cookie. :(

My goal is to start walking more. I was doing great on my maternity leave, and have a fitbit to track my steps in a day. I've only hit 10,000 in a day once, so by the end of the week I want to do it again and start doing it at least every other day. Once I've gotten my normal routine more active, I'll see about adding in real exercise.

I am right there with you on this. WHY IS IT SO DELICIOUS? And the center of so many social engagements? When I abstained for almost three months over the fall, a great many aspects of my life improved, but my social stamina tanked.

I'm the same way, if I'm not drinking, I get tired and want to go to bed at 10.
And drinking means I HAVE to eat, because otherwise I'll get sick. :(

I need to get some of these fancy apps and gadgets y'all have ...
Andy had one called the Jawbone (i think) that was supposed to count steps and monitor galvanic skin reaction for calorie burn. He left it on his nightstand one day and it counted 25,000 steps :rolleyes: So I've been reluctant to take the tech plunge!

Great thread, thanks for starting it Reverie!

I haven't been skinny since my early twenties. For most of my thirties I was at a steady weight. But after turning forty (and beginning a poly life :) ) I've gained about 10 pounds that I would love to lose. It's a miracle that I haven't gained more, I think - I've been teh same weight for about 6 years now.

My diet is pretty healthy. I dont have a sweet tooth at all and cooking is my hobby - I cook most everything from scratch, never eat fast food and (almost) never eat processed foods.

It's alcohol that does me in. Most of my social life involves drinking. I find it really really hard not to drink - I drink for many reasons: use it as a social lubricant, when I am happy, it enhances my mood, I love the taste of good beer and good wine, I love how it relaxes me, and I have a medical condition that causes a pain that goes away when I drink - so I use it as a painkiller, too.

Right now I am abstaining from alcohol for a month and am finding it surprisingly easy. For me it is much easier to not do something AT ALL for a set amount of time, than to decide to 'just drink less'.

I HATE exercise. I've neer been able to find a sport or exercise routine I could enjoy. I do ride my bike for an hour every day, and I walk / hike a lot. Go to yoga (but not often enough).

So: not drinking for a set amount of time, eating healthy (I started taking lunches to work again, so most days I eat a grain & greens based salad insteaad of the factory bread and processed deli meat the cafetaria has on offer), are what I am doing right now....

I wasn't kidding about the fact that I gained weight after starting the non monogamous life. Drinking and eating out seems to have become an even bigger part of my life since then. I think it also has something to do with a psychological mindset, a bit of 'fuck you' attitude.... Like, I feel I can live my life which ever way I please, I don't want to be the 'good' girl anymore that I as all my life... I like the feeling of just not giving a damn about what other people think is healthy (morally and otherwise) and just throwing caution to the wind and living my life the way I want it, with as many lovers and as many craft beers as I please ... does that make any sense?

Last edited:
wanted to add some more things as I started thinking about this...

I know nothing about sports and excercise, so will keep my mouth shut about that. But I do know a LOT about food, have worked in the food industry. Maybe this makes it easier for me to eat healthy, I don't know, anyway, some thoughts...

I firmly believe that any 'diet' that is based on deprivation will only work if you are looking for some sort of crash diet to lose weight fast but will never be something you can keep up, which is what is necessary to change your eating habits. So instead of looking at it as something that deprives you of the things you love and make you feel good, try to look at it as something positive you are doing for yourself, a positive choice?

It starts really small, like instead of saying 'I am not allowed to have ice cream on this diet' you say 'I choose not to have ice cream toay, because that is the positive and conscious decision I made. I might have some ice cream next week or next month which will be fine because any food is fine in modertaion, but today, I choose to not eat this but will eat something else instead'.

I also believe that if you love and enjoy good food, that is something that should not have to change when you start to eat more healthily. It is a matter of finding the foods you love that fit within your healthy eating plan.

There is such a wealth of info out there, so many websites with delicious and healthy recipes for any type of eating plan - low carb, paleo, whatever!

Since abstaining from alcohol I make myself a mocktail every night, at the time I would usually open my after work beer or have my glass of wine. Sparkling water, a splash of freshly squeezed fruit juice, a couple of slices of ginger, some bitters, a slice of lime or lemon, and ice cubes. I pour it into a very fancy glass and sip it slowly. It doesn't give me a buzz :D but it does fulfill the role of what I like about cocktail hour: the transition between the workday and the evening.

I won't deny that I am looking forward to the first real drink, a couple of weeks from now.. but I also hope that by then I will have experienced that it is possible to have fun while not drinking, and that I will have sucessfully broken the pattern of my habtit of drinking almost every day.

Last edited:
I have gained 20 pounds in two years, so I am back on counting calories starting in April. I leave on vacation this week, so it would be foolish for me to start now. I know myself too well - I am not going to eat like a bird during vacation in Atlanta!

I was always skinny as a teenager <120, but I got married at 18 and gained a bunch. According to those BMI charts, because of my height, I shouldn't weigh more than 155 pounds - which I weighed for one year while in my late twenties. Everyone said I was too skinny and they were trying to feed me all the time. Honestly, I am happiest at around 200 pounds, which sounds like a crazy number, but when I am there I feel curvy and sexy. I've been hovering around 215 for a very long time and I like myself there. I certainly don't feel fat or like I need to diet there. I'm tall, so my weight has places it can stick to and I don't think it looks awful or anything. My guys certainly like me, and I have never had trouble getting dates.

This is me, around 225 pounds, I'd guess. Not happy with the 10 extra pounds, but not exactly feeling gross either.

picture.php

So, at the doctor this week, I was told I was up to 235, and to hell with that! I have a medical condition so really the only way I can lose any weight at all is by calorie counting. I use MyFitnessPal, and I sent a PM to you, AutumnLeaves! I won't start using it again until April, but I am feeling positively about it, which is a good beginning for now, for me. :)

I actually lost my gallbladder by not watching fat content, when I was younger. The Atkins diet seriously destroyed my digestive system. Since then, I've been on prescription antacids and I do miss my gallbladder dearly.

Alcohol has never been an issue with me - my nemesis is cheese danishes. OMG I love pastries. I am an emotional eater of cake products. Sigh.

So instead of looking at it as something that deprives you of the things you love and make you feel good, try to look at it as something positive you are doing for yourself, a positive choice?

It starts really small, like instead of saying 'I am not allowed to have ice cream on this diet' you say 'I choose not to have ice cream toay, because that is the positive and conscious decision I made. I might have some ice cream next week or next month which will be fine because any food is fine in modertaion, but today, I choose to not eat this but will eat something else instead'.

This is about where I'm at with it. I want to get more efficient in my life so that I don't always feel like I'm scrambling for time, and I know that, for me, efficiency is tied to energy and to the quality of the fuel I put into my body. So I'm trying not to think of it as depriving myself of things that I want, but rather putting quality fuel in so that I can accomplish things that I want.

For me, it's definitely a cycle: when I get home, if I am zapped from my day, I just want to have a few drinks, stuff something easy (and probably therefore crappy) into my mouth, and unplug. Then I continue to be zapped the next day from the booze and the crap food, and have no energy after work, and it repeats.

But if I put good stuff into my body and limit the booze, then I have more energy during the day to do stuff like exercise and be efficient in my work, and when I get home, I still have energy to cook and do productive things. So then I put good food in my body again, and it repeats.

Today was day three for me of waking up early to run, and day two of the plank challenge. I stuck to my goals last night of having fewer drinks (only two beers with lime) and no junk food. Rider made vegetarian tacos and I had two of them.

This evening's dinner will be slightly less well behaved, only because we have a fridge full of leftovers that has carbier stuff in it than I will otherwise be trying to eat this week. I made some tasty spaghetti with tempeh meatballs the other night, and I usually make it with spaghetti squash but the store was out of it, so I used real pasta. And there are still some tater tots left from wrestling night. But I will make sure to eat a kale salad alongside it, and I will leave off the beer tonight altogether to make up for eating all the carbs. There will be healthy fuel!

Last edited:
Honestly, I am happiest at around 200 pounds, which sounds like a crazy number, but when I am there I feel curvy and sexy. I've been hovering around 215 for a very long time and I like myself there. I certainly don't feel fat or like I need to diet there. I'm tall, so my weight has places it can stick to and I don't think it looks awful or anything. My guys certainly like me, and I have never had trouble getting dates.

I'm always envious of tall people AND curvy people for that reason—the ability to carry more weight and eat more and still look good! I'm right about textbook-average height for a woman, but I do not gain weight in any kind of curvy places. When I gain, I get a thin coating of subcutaneous ripples all over my body, but they are concentrated in my love-handles, my stomach, my upper arms, and my chin/cheeks—basically the opposite of all the sexy places, lol! It even makes my face look older because having bigger cheeks gives me deeper smile lines.

Other than in my face, it's easy to hide that stuff under clothes and still keep a basic outer shape that people don't think of as "fat," but then they will give me shit for trying to eat better ("you don't look fat to me!") without realizing that I look thick and lumpy naked—no waist to speak of at all. I don't even have to get to the upper "normal" BMI range for that to happen; for me it starts around BMI 21.5. I have a boyish frame and just was not built to carry fat and look good at the same time.

If I got boobs and booty instead of turning into a keg with legs when I gain weight, I think I would be less fixated on remaining skinny! But we are dealt the genetic cards we are dealt, and we can each only do the best we can with what we have! :cool:

Last edited:
If I got boobs and booty instead of turning into a keg with legs when I gain weight, I think I would be less fixated on remaining skinny! But we are dealt the genetic cards we are dealt, and we can each only do the best we can with what we have! :cool:

Lol on this. Same here only I always have a waist, it's my hips, thighs, and stomach that get huge. I stay small from mid-waist up...typical pear shape. I feel/look best when my bmi is right around 21/21.5. Any lower, I look gaunt, any higher, I look thick :/ It's all the lumps and dimpling that I don't like....

Today's been a mixed bag for me. I did the stepper this morning...but nothing else. I had a mocha and donut for breakfast... but low cal/low fat soup for lunch :eek:

Back