Survey: How do you negotiate privacy?

Kray

Hi! So, I am curious about how people in polyamorous relationships who have metamours negotiate privacy with their shared partner. I am exploring this question for my master's thesis in the communication studies department at the University of Montana. I got into this research because I have many loved ones who are polyamorous, and wanted to expand academic understanding representation of polyamorous communities.
So, I’m looking for people in polyamorous relationships who have (or have had) metamours to contribute to a quick, anonymous, online survey on privacy management. You can read more about my research and participate here: https://umt.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2bm5Qzta3hRC6I5
(Feel free to share elsewhere).

Hi Kray,

I have taken your survey, it took about 30 minutes. It wasn't hard to do, although I had to guess sometimes, particularly about stuff my partner might have told me about my metamour that I didn't want to know. My partner never did that, so I had to guess about how I'd respond if she did.

Regards,
Kevin T.

I have answered the survey as well. However I'm worried about how my answers may seem. For instance, I said that my partner has disclosed a great deal about me to my metamour, and about my metamour to me, but all those conversations have happened between the three of us together, not behind anyone's back, and there was no option to say that. I hope my saying that I am very comfortable with it and that he never says anything I wouldn't want him to say made it clear.

I have answered the survey as well. However I'm worried about how my answers may seem. For instance, I said that my partner has disclosed a great deal about me to my metamour, and about my metamour to me, but all those conversations have happened between the three of us together, not behind anyone's back, and there was no option to say that. I hope my saying that I am very comfortable with it and that he never says anything I wouldn't want him to say made it clear.
Yes, I would interpret "a great deal of disclosure" with a high level of comfort as a sign that these conversations have taken place with the informed consent of everyone. I'm definitely not looking for dirt here- just curious how people manage the private information they have disclosed because it might demonstrate effective ways people manage their privacy. :)

Hi Kray,

I have taken your survey, it took about 30 minutes. It wasn't hard to do, although I had to guess sometimes, particularly about stuff my partner might have told me about my metamour that I didn't want to know. My partner never did that, so I had to guess about how I'd respond if she did.

Regards,
Kevin T.
Thank you for taking the survey! I appreciate your time and insight.

Hi! So, I am curious about how people in polyamorous relationships who have metamours negotiate privacy with their shared partner. I am exploring this question for my master's thesis in the communication studies department at the University of Montana. I got into this research because I have many loved ones who are polyamorous, and wanted to expand academic understanding representation of polyamorous communities.
So, I’m looking for people in polyamorous relationships who have (or have had) metamours to contribute to a quick, anonymous, online survey on privacy management. You can read more about my research and participate here: https://umt.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2bm5Qzta3hRC6I5
(Feel free to share elsewhere).

I think there should have been an "I don't know" option in there. I have no idea what this partner has said about me to my metamor. I answered the questions as if she has shared with him as she does with me. My answers also reflect how little I care about what info is shared,

I think there should have been an "I don't know" option in there. I have no idea what this partner has said about me to my metamor. I answered the questions as if she has shared with him as she does with me. My answers also reflect how little I care about what info is shared,

I appreciate that! Thanks for that input. :)

So my study is closing soon. If you or someone you know would like to share their experiences, please do so in the next day or two!

Back