How do others organize workplace benefits in V relationships?

Raceface

So this is a post that I have yet to come across. Luckily I live in Canada, where although we have universall health care, there is still some health care issues provided by private insurance. For example dental, and vision is covered by insurance, unless it's of an emergency nature.

So how do some of the poly people out there arrange employee health benefits?

On a tangent, how do you manage family passes to various recreation centers?

In my country only the legally married partner or single domestic partner gets any benefits. Heck your spouse can't even cover you here if your employer offers health benefits. We all carry our own benefits to be honest because of this. If I was to lose my job then Butch would cover me since there is a legal document saying we are married.

We do not have family passes to rec centers so that is a null and void issue.

Hello Raceface,

All three people in my V have separate insurance policies (I'm pretty sure). I personally have state coverage, on some things but not others. I have no coverage for vision or dental.

I have a senior pass for state and local parks, so as long as I'm with my companions, they (and I) can get in free.

Regards,
Kevin T.

My employer will only allow spouse and dependent children on health insurance benefits. If MrS and I were not legally married (I had to submit our marriage certificate) then neither partner could be on my benefits. My gym allows a "couple" membership - you have to live together and have a shared checking account - so either but not both could join with me (neither has any interest).

For retirement accounts and life insurance through work, your spouse has to sign if you want to assign anyone else as the beneficiary.

We three share checking and credit card accounts. The house is in my name only. Cars are registered to me or MrS whose names are on the car insurance. I could put Dude on the car insurance except that Nationwide requires an in-state driver's license.

In our V, each adult carries their own health insurance (through employer or state). The guys have family policies which include only their respective children. I have a single person policy, as each of the kids is covered by their other parent. I’m not married (anymore), on principle, and the loss of employer-provided spouse benefits is one of the real costs of eschewing marital privilege.

For other family-membership-type things, we always include me and all of the kids, and whichever dad is local to or otherwise more likely to use a membership. Rarely, we have paid to add an adult so that any combination of us could easily enter a particular venue without fuss.

Back