Howdy gentlefolk!

Sure, you just need to make an account so you can submit the photos you take, to those who requested them.

Sure thing! I use their free app when I am out and about. :)

I played Ingress for a while, but it requires a lot of time to upkeep and I just didn't want to do it after a while. My husband DarkKnight still plays, I think. Lately I've been helping people on the Find a Grave website, which feels a lot like geocaching because I am still getting lots of walking in, but I'm also searching for a specific headstone in a particular cemetery. However, I feel like it's doing something positive for someone else, so I get positive feelings more so than I did with geocaching. :)

That does sound pretty generous! This gives me even more reason to try find a grave. I wonder if this could be combined with geocaching or waymarking. Thanks for the info.

The way that I get my warm fuzzy feelings is by hiding geocaches for other people to find. Also, I introduced my higher level students to the sport to give them something to do that gets them out of their houses. It has an element of danger that they like, while also giving them an alternative to trouble that they could be getting into.

That does sound pretty generous! This gives me even more reason to try find a grave. I wonder if this could be combined with geocaching or waymarking. Thanks for the info.

I think it absolutely could. When MrS and I were geocaching we tended to focus on caches that were highlighting local small historical locations. Markers, memorials, historic building etc. Sometimes there would be an actual cache or micro-cache (if it was allowed) - other times you went to a place and were given clues to find numbers, letters, words that were on the landmarks that would help you solve a puzzle - you would send the answer to the cache-owner to get "credit". It wasn't unusual for us to end up visiting a little, out-of-the-way old cemetery that we otherwise wouldn't have known existed - and learned a lot of local history in the process.

I think it absolutely could. When MrS and I were geocaching we tended to focus on caches that were highlighting local small historical locations. Markers, memorials, historic building etc. Sometimes there would be an actual cache or micro-cache (if it was allowed) - other times you went to a place and were given clues to find numbers, letters, words that were on the landmarks that would help you solve a puzzle - you would send the answer to the cache-owner to get "credit". It wasn't unusual for us to end up visiting a little, out-of-the-way old cemetery that we otherwise wouldn't have known existed - and learned a lot of local history in the process.

You would like Find a grave too! We have a virtual cache like your puzzle caches in my hometown, and other puzzle caches like yours nearby. We have a monthly caching team outing where we try to do difficult ones. In October we are trying to do some near a haunted cemetery. I am less than excited, but I'm sure I'll have a good time.

You say "were" geocaching. Do you not do it anymore?

First day geocaching today! Found 2 of 3 (wondering if the third was affected by the floods here last month as no one has logged it since).

I had a search buddy too, the first time hanging out with this new friend (outside of business meetings). It was just a non-romantic girly hangout date, but I can see how this would be a wonderful romantic date activity.

I'm gonna get hooked on this :)

aroha nui
Evie

You say "were" geocaching. Do you not do it anymore?

Actually haven't gone out in a few years. Other hobbies and (people) came along and life is BUSY. We have many and diverse interests - I tend to get "hooked" on something for a few years and enjoy it immensely and then get attracted to something else, sometimes I go back and sometimes I don't. When we lived in town, geocaching was a way to get out of the house, tramp around with the dog and get some nature. Then we moved out to the country...now other things fill that niche, so attention goes elsewhere.

(Coin collecting, scrapbooking, knitting/cross-stitch, metal-detecting, online MMORG, LibraryThing, BOOKS!, drum lessons, RockBand, community band, road trips, concerts, skiing/snowboarding, microbrews, pets - there are so many things to occupy one's time!)

I've never geocached, but have done BookCrossing and WheresGeorge. I think you could combine BookCrossing with geocaching, but the WheresGeorge guidelines frown on combining that with geocaching because the point is to log and track bills that are found in regular circulation, not in caches. I love when I find a bill marked "Where's George?" in "the wild!" I get so excited to see where it's been and how far it's traveled!

I've never geocached, but have done BookCrossing and WheresGeorge. I think you could combine BookCrossing with geocaching, but the WheresGeorge guidelines frown on combining that with geocaching because the point is to log and track bills that are found in regular circulation, not in caches. I love when I find a bill marked "Where's George?" in "the wild!" I get so excited to see where it's been and how far it's traveled!

I have found WheresGeorge bills in caches but always release them again rather than cache them. (I've never created a WheresGeorge bill but always log the ones that come into our hands.) GeoCaching has the ability to create TravelBugs (and Coins) for items that are specifically meant to be moved from one cache to another. LibraryThing has a field specifically for logging BookCrossing books - and I have read some discussion of BookCrossing books re: BookMooch - but agree that there BookCrossing and GeoCaching can go nicely together (assuming that the cache is big enough and the cacher waterproofs the book).

First day geocaching today! Found 2 of 3 (wondering if the third was affected by the floods here last month as no one has logged it since).

I had a search buddy too, the first time hanging out with this new friend (outside of business meetings). It was just a non-romantic girly hangout date, but I can see how this would be a wonderful romantic date activity.

I'm gonna get hooked on this :)

aroha nui
Evie

Congratulations on getting hooked! It's a fantastic pastime that gets you out looking at parts of the world around you that you never knew existed. My inlaws reintroduced me and I re fell in love with the hobby. I have found at least one every day since May 2.

The next date you go on should be a geo-date!

Actually haven't gone out in a few years. Other hobbies and (people) came along and life is BUSY. We have many and diverse interests - I tend to get "hooked" on something for a few years and enjoy it immensely and then get attracted to something else, sometimes I go back and sometimes I don't. When we lived in town, geocaching was a way to get out of the house, tramp around with the dog and get some nature. Then we moved out to the country...now other things fill that niche, so attention goes elsewhere.

(Coin collecting, scrapbooking, knitting/cross-stitch, metal-detecting, online MMORG, LibraryThing, BOOKS!, drum lessons, RockBand, community band, road trips, concerts, skiing/snowboarding, microbrews, pets - there are so many things to occupy one's time!)

You do so many things! As a representative of the active geocaching community I have to say, we more than understand. Come back whenever you like!

I love the idea of bookcrossing! My sister in law is a librarian and fellow cacher. I will tell her about this and I'm sure she is going to love it. This is fantastic. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Back