Russian Spam

Got nothing to do with Trump! The Russian spam showing up now, just means that many of the moderators are busy with real life and miss a few. This has been an big issue every since even before I became a member here. I've been on the board since 2010.

Got nothing to do with Trump! The Russian spam showing up now, just means that many of the moderators are busy with real life and miss a few. This has been an big issue every since even before I became a member here. I've been on the board since 2010.

You have no sense of humor whatsoever, do you?

I got curious and ran the page through a translator and it was a bunch of links supposedly for various agricultural compounds and products. Fertilizers and whatnot. So um...not only weird Russian spam, but weird Russian spam attempting to (supposedly, damned if I'd click a link to find out!) direct us to buy bomb making products or something?

It just gets weirder and weirder, comrades.

Spam was originally (and also remains) a dense, canned mystery meat product which originated in the USA (naturally).

But the Russians quickly reverse engineered the product, is as their wont. That this was done was heralded with great pride on the pages of Pravda as long ago as the Soviet Union. (Originally it was eaten with sauteed butter, garlic and onions atop, with only the lightest sprinkling of sea salt.)

Now even the post-USSR Russians are proud to put Spam (by some other, Russian name) on their morning breakfast toast. It's a global thing, really.

In Australia, they like to top that with a little Vegemite ... with just a dash of pepper and extra virgin olive oil.

In France, the Russian "spam" is especially prized when served with sauteed mushrooms with a side of snails or frog legs.

This message has been brought to you courtesy of International Fake News (IFN), "Where we gratefully work 60 hour weeks to be sure that you're never without us!"

.... "At IFN, we're proud to say "you can make this shit up!"

Last edited:
Vin, I got the joke and thought it was funny (in a sadly not-so-funny way).

We've had a shitload of spam here lately. So much! A lot of it is always Russian, but you guys don't see most of it because it gets caught in our filters before being posted. Only the Mods can see the filtered ones so we can delete them and ban the spammers. Sorry that so many have gotten past the filters and onto the board!

I am not sure exactly how the filters work, but it's been a deluge of spam over the month or so, and it's hard to keep up with at times. But it comes and goes in waves, so sometimes there isn't much at all. I guess this is Spam Season!

I got it, but also took a screenshot of the board when I first saw the post (woke up 10 min before my alarm that day, by the look of it). To give you an idea of what doesn't get through:

picture.php

The yellow lines are spam about to be banhammered.

You guys do a great job of getting rid of the spam. I just thought it was funny that the ones I see are usually Russian.

I'm thinking the Russian ones are harder to spot

Recently I was reading up on British rationing during and after WW2. The information I got about Spam is that the near starving English were so glad to get this "Specially Processed American Meat" into their nearly meatless diets in the late 40s and 50s. Rationing was very tight in England until 1954, and continued until 1957. Even chicken was extremely hard to get, and so expensive, you were lucky to get one for Easter dinner.

Now just googling it, there is also a theory that Spam stands for SPiced hAM. And that there was a competition in the late 30s to come up with a name for this product. $100 was awarded to the winner.

I just don't know which one is true. lol

Recently I was reading up on British rationing during and after WW2. The information I got about Spam is that the near starving English were so glad to get this "Specially Processed American Meat" into their nearly meatless diets in the late 40s and 50s. Rationing was very tight in England until 1954, and continued until 1957. Even chicken was extremely hard to get, and so expensive, you were lucky to get one for Easter dinner.

Now just googling it, there is also a theory that Spam stands for SPiced hAM. And that there was a competition in the late 30s to come up with a name for this product. $100 was awarded to the winner.

I just don't know which one is true. lol

Spam's site only mentions feeding it to our troops in WW2. I suppose some of it made it's way into the Brit's hands. A funny aside to that is a story my Aunt told me about how German refugees were afraid to eat American rations because the boxes had wording similar to "poison" on them.

According to their website the contest wad won by a Hormel employee, but they don't mention what it stands for. Special Processed hAM, naybe? I don't think there are spices in the original spam.

I love spam (the food) and I love the Monty Python reference that led to yhe internet term.

Spam's site only mentions feeding it to our troops in WW2. I suppose some of it made it's way into the Brit's hands.

"Spam was shipped from America to Britain through the Land-Lease agreement..."

http://theconversation.com/how-world-war-ii-rationing-gave-us-a-liking-for-spam-35975

I love spam (the food) and I love the Monty Python reference that led to the internet term.

Since Python devoted a sketch and then a Broadway musical title to Spam, it should be enough indication of Spam's popularity in Britain during rationing.

Russians now, two months ago a site I moderate was getting tons of Red China spam for Nikes & bauble jewelry.

Hypothetical guess:

The bots get in with a harmless message. The spiders come along & note which have succeeded & how long they stay up. This is logged for overall density of security of the site, its hosts, maybe its servers.

Also provides metrics for vulnerability to brute-force attacks -- for instance, instantaneously spam the crap out of all the discussion sites hosted by GoDaddy, impinge/crash their servers, & thus bring to a halt large commercial & Wall Street users.

This diverts resources so that anti-hack response bogs down as well & database breach is easier.

And what is up with Hawaiians and SPAM? Every Hawaiian person I've ever known is obsessed with the stuff. That is a thing, too...

Ravenscroft, I think I mentioned that my only serious personal run-in with hacking and security breach (impactful to my activities) was years ago when the Chinese were relentlessly after my World of Warcraft account. It was interesting, they kept busting into my email to gain control of my account in order to set up a bot to run my characters around and farm up game currency, in order to (I presume) sell it for real money, which of course when people bought game gold from the Chinese, they opened up their accounts to hacking as well, or so we were always told. I'd never bought gold. The problem was eventually solved with the purchase of an authenticator fob. Once I got that, it all stopped. Thing is though, they had a demonstrated ability to crack into that email, and from there, they should have been able to gain access to any number of my other accounts, some of which were even my financial accounts, I would think. But the moment I shut them out of my WoW account, all breaches came to an abrupt halt. They had one and only one objective, it seemed.

This all started after my ex came home on leave from Iraq and used that computer to illegally download a bunch of movies that he burned to disk and took back with him. The malicious code that opened us up to the whole mess, I eventually traced to one of those files. That was in 2010. I had a program that could trace intrusion events, they all came from Beijing. I'm not really super savvy (just really patient) when it comes to this sort of thing, but I admit that I kinda enjoyed the detective work a bit at the time.

What is up with Hawaiians and Spam?

Of course Hawaii was an important WW2 base. Much Spam was imported there, and caught on with civilians as well as the military.

I am guessing it has remained very popular because Hawaii, being a fucking rock in the middle of the fucking Pacific Ocean, has the problem of being a fucking expensive place to live. Almost everything is imported. Spam is pretty cheap and easy to import.

I just read they even make sushi out of it there! Ew.

Of course Hawaii was an important WW2 base. Much Spam was imported there, and caught on with civilians as well as the military.

I am guessing it has remained very popular because Hawaii, being a fucking rock in the middle of the fucking Pacific Ocean, has the problem of being a fucking expensive place to live. Almost everything is imported. Spam is pretty cheap and easy to import.

I just read they even make sushi out of it there! Ew.

Right! Yeah, that totally makes sense.

But yeah, they do some crazy stuff with it.

It's a thing I enjoy, find interesting, that there are different demographics in different places I have lived. Like Cincinnati has the German and Irish ethnic influences, and Des Moines, Iowa had some interesting history with Scandinavian settlers (and a term for their descendants: "Iowegian"!) as well as Italian descended mobsters from Chicago that sent their families there in the prohibition days, where many of them just rooted and stayed. Well there are significant numbers of "Pacific Islanders" (Hawaiians) in the Pacific Northwest. I suspect part of it may be to do with military families moving around. You see lots of cars up there with decals of the islands or of sea turtles. And yeah...the Hawaiian folks I met were definitely big on the SPAM.

I can't stand the stuff, myself. :p

FWIW, I've put RuslanWeaft in my Ignore list -- 56 long "posts" so far & rising!! -- because it makes browsing MUCH faster.

In the spirit of the parallel topic...

russian-spam.jpg

Among gun fans, a "spam can" refers to the big metal box Russians ship rifle ammo in. ;)

On a heavy metal forum I am on, spam is a big issue to the point they had to add extra moderators to either move it to the appropriate Links forum or delete it all together. Not only are Russians doing it, but other nations as well. I do feel bad for the mods who have to constantly do this hours upon hours a day.

Back