Myers Briggs and polyamory.

Misanthropy

Psstt...Mono...I was teasing. ;) I'm in a weird mood today. Caught between a low and a high. So playful, but ripe with sarcasm. YGirl-I hope I didn't offend. You really do sound alot like my ex. And dammit if I don't still pine over her most days. She's an amazing woman.

See why I said I wasn't sure if I wanted to reveal this part of me on the forum?

I never said I "Hate people". I do hate a lot of things people do.

I wasn't always this way. I used to go around like, "I just LOOOOVE everyone", but after doing feline rescue for a few years, I changed, and it has been working for me just fine.

There are many folks in the pet-rescue community who turn me off for other reasons. Many are simply animal-hoarders who are masquerading as rescue-people (kind of like "swingers" or "cheaters" who think they are "poly"), or bored housewives who don't return people's calls but want the attention and praise that comes with "volunteering for a non-profit".

I'm not really a dyed-in-the-wool "polyamorist" anyway. I am able to "be in love" with more than one person in the same time period, but that doesn't mean that I LIKE the majority of the population, either individually or as a group.

I was pleased to discover that there is a blog called "The Polyamorous Misanthrope" because I was feeling a bit like an oxymoron up until that point.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I upset you. Please don't feel you need to go into any kind of "hiding" over it. After all, I did say you reminded me of an amazing woman I happen to know personally. I'm just in a very odd mindset. As I say to friends who will listen, sometimes I have bipolar...sometimes it has me. :(

:D My ex isn't the worst person to be compared to. Not even nearly.

Hmm... I'm the opposite way. Human individuals usually at some point end up disgusting and/or disappointing me for some reason, usually having something to do with the way animals are being treated.

But I still keep coming back for more...

This is sort of along the lines of the "enigmatic" post I made in that other thread that RedPepper started.

PS -

I wasn't always like this. I used to think I was a people-person but doing cat-rescue will cure someone of that... Although we need people-people in animal rescue too.... it just ain't me babe.

When it comes to animal abuse I'm with you ygirl. Zero tolerance for it. No exceptions for it at all. There haven't been since I was 15 and became vegetarian after getting ahold of some "PETA" magazines.

I worked in equine rescue for a while and it was *hard*. It's definitely challenged me with my view of people, but I have a pretty strongly held philosophy around that kind of stuff and I work very hard to find compassion for all people, even the biggest assholes that starve and neglect their animals. I don't always succeed, but I never stop working towards it.

I'm a rescue kind of guy,.... dogs, cats, insects, reptiles, and people. I'm still waiting for someone to rescue me. Pathetic!

Not pathetic at all! But hey...the person best equipped to rescue you is *you* :)

I'm a rescue kind of guy,.... dogs, cats, insects, reptiles, and people. I'm still waiting for someone to rescue me. Pathetic!

Except for the insects, we could open a business. Happily, I've been rescued. Well, hubby has helped me rescue myself.

Yeah, I hear ya. It can be freakin' lonely when there is nobody to wake up to. :(

Myers Briggs, polyamory and life

Do you think people that practice polyamorous lifestyles successfully (i.e. within the "definition" of the full-consent, etc. and to the benefit of the relationship as a whole) Have common personality traits? Do you think some personality traits can handle this type of relationship better than others?

New kid on the block here but I have to say one of the biggest advocators for MBTI for relationship navigation.

At the onset of our relationship my Richard not only explored the definition and meaning of Polyamory; I just knew it instinctually he also explored personality differences, specifically Myers Briggs.

Come to find out we are EXACT opposites and not only speak differently but listen differently meaning we can clearly and easily misunderstand each other. We learned how the other need to hear what we were saying and I learned to NOT demand an immediate answer or drill till I got one, he needed to process information(the facts) to come to a conclusion where I just used my gut feelings.

He learned that just because I said something that it had to happen now, or eventually or even at all..it was an IDEA..and I spu ideas. He just seen them as another thing to add to his *to do list* or something that wasn't in his comfort level.

And the really awesome part about us learning and using MBTI as a tool to navigate our life/love we got to participate in a workshop presented my Mimi at the 2008 East Coast Poly Conference.

All the 'types' were represented my MY extreme ENFPism *look birdie* to Richards Extreme ISTJ *where's my to do list/let me think about this*

Mimi did an awesome job explaining each trait (letter) and comparing the E/I N/S F/T P/J and had us(the group) move around the room in a spectrum of the % that we believed was our dynamic for each trait. This clarified to me that I truly was the extreme. Richard actually found out he wasn't SO extreme and liked not being such a stickler.

In conclusion of the workshop she had us join up with our 'Middles' so we had four groups NF, NT, SF, ST and as she went through each group, Richards being the smallest, she explained how each personality is essential to polyamory as a whole(and this can be related to any dynamic IMO) We need the ISTJ's to keep track and keep the logic so that us ENFP's flighty ideas actually get done and in a reasonable manner.

There is so much information in the MBTI realm and I am not the best person to chatter about it - ME, I'm the ENFP...I get distracted easily and am very curious and creative so to complete a thought or retain statistics is a complete challenge; however Richard and those that are passionate about understanding it help me advocate that it's a great way to get yourself into someone elses shoes so you can communicate better and enjoy life with all it's different personalities.

If I remember correctly Richard and I are destine to have a challenging relationship - I do not believe that as we understand that sometimes we are not understood and revisit an issue, and quickly, to make sure we are all on the same page.

I am looking forward to others ideas on the MBTI's I have taken the quicky test on Quizzy and FB and always come up ENFP, but if you are in the middle of a spectrum you very well can come up different letter is those short quizzes.

i just read the entire topic seems there are lots of INFP ENFPs,
and from what i heard INFPs are kind of rare, so i wonder if we are more likley to be poly :)

I would suggest we are ladyjools. Both ENFP and INFP. I would suggest that poly people are more often than not "switches" when it comes to BDSM also.

Back