Pet peeve: "sleeping together"

Oh I've never perused the personals at CL, so not familiar with the common "host" usage. I think it's to the point and has clear meaning.

Sleeping together as a term for sex is just wrong. Sex is active, sleeping is being checked out and resting.

Now, once I shared a beach cottage for a long weekend with 2 other couples and my ex h. We'd go to the beach in the morning, have picnics, come home in the afternoon, and all 3 couples would go "nap." Sure, maybe some slept, some fucked. It wasn't necessary to say, we are going off to fuck now, see ya!

But saying sleeping together as a common term for sex, it's just outmoded and sex-negative, I think.

I hear ya. It's like saying you're going to "powder your nose" when you're really going to the bathroom to pee. Very old-fashioned.

Thank you! Very apt comparison. Remember when movies never showed that people had to use the bathroom? People would get up and out of bed in full makeup and perfect hair, and just go about their day with no need to urinate or poop. LOL.

Nowadays it seems I can hardly watch a movie that doesn't have someone sitting on the toilet. lol

Oh I've never perused the personals at CL, so not familiar with the common "host" usage. I think it's to the point and has clear meaning.
"Host" is all over OKC. Someone I barely got started with asked, "Do you host?" apparently as a means of weeding out people who had no feasible hook up joint.

On the other hand, I adore "powder my nose" - so quaint. I sometimes refer to the women's bathroom as the powder room, even though I've never used powder in my life.

Last edited:
Frubbly and wibbles? When the terms are combined, they sound like a terrible children's show.

Powder my nose is bearable. I despise when grown women say they are going to the little girls room, though.

Frubbly and wibbles? When the terms are combined, they sound like a terrible children's show.

Powder my nose is bearable. I despise when grown women say they are going to the little girls room, though.

Living in a house of men and having only boys (who are now young adults), I've always said things "I need to pee." Not being around tons of females tends to make you a little more crass in things like that :). If I'm trying to not be as crass (like at work or around a new person) I'll say "I need to go to the bathroom" or "I need to visit the restroom." But left to my own devices and when I'm exhausted and not thinking about the words coming out of my mouth, it's always "I need to pee."

edit: I did grow up with 2 sisters but tended more towards being around my three brothers.

We say 'going down the hall' at work. The washroom is out of the office and at the other end of the building... down the hall. Lol.

Elimination and sex. N. America's two big hang ups.

Sometimes I think parents make up euphemisms for sex so as not to alarm their kids. Of course, Polyamory.com is an adult site, so it is a little silly to camouflage kid-sensitive terms.

Though there's synonyms-a-plenty for sex (see below), many of them are ambiguous because think about it, people have all kinds of definitions for sex. It doesn't always mean intercourse, at least not to everyone.

In my day I've heard "be with" and "be together" used to denote sex. I've also heard "encounter" used. Talk about vague and polite! but I guess you can use just about any euphemism, as long as your context makes the meaning clear.

Re: Borat ... LOL, he's hilarious (IMO). I like when he says, "Happy times!" when something really shitty is happening.

• sleep together (Wiktionary, idiomatic) = to have sex with; to be intimate with another person in the same bed
And here's quite a few of the synonyms (for sexual intercourse and copulate):
  • bang
  • be together
  • be with
  • bed
  • beep
  • bone
  • boff
  • boink
  • bonk
  • breed
  • bump uglies
  • bust a nut
  • carnal knowledge
  • chesterfield rugby
  • coition
  • coitus
  • commerce
  • congress
  • consummate
  • copulate
  • couple
  • discuss Uganda
  • do it
  • do the deed
  • do the nasty
  • doink
  • drill
  • eff
  • encounter
  • enter
  • exchange flesh
  • feck
  • fool around
  • fornicate
  • frak
  • fuck
  • funny business
  • get busy
  • get it on
  • get laid
  • get one's leg over
  • get into someone's pants
  • go for a roll in the hay
  • go in unto
  • go to bed with
  • hank
  • hanky panky
  • have
  • hit
  • horizontal dancing
  • host
  • hot beef injection
  • how's your father
  • hump
  • intercourse
  • intimacy
  • jiggery-pokery
  • join
  • jump someone's bones
  • knock boots
  • know someone in the biblical sense
  • lay
  • lie with
  • make love
  • make whoopee
  • marital embrace
  • mating
  • monkey business
  • mount
  • nail
  • nookie
  • nut
  • penetrate
  • piece of ass
  • play
  • play hide the sausage
  • plow
  • plug
  • quickie
  • rail
  • ream
  • relations
  • ride
  • roger
  • root
  • rumpy-pumpy
  • rut
  • screw
  • sex
  • sex share
  • sexy time
  • shag
  • share sexual space
  • shelve
  • sleep together
  • swive
  • tap
  • the beast with two backs
  • tumble
  • tup
LOL, we can do both better and worse than "sleep together." Which synonyms annoy you? (Most of them entertain me.)

Last edited:
OMG, "hot beef injection!" That is so-o-oooooo gross! Lol.

I often use the term "get it on." Probably because I'm a relic from the 70's.

I do love "boink."

And what about "getting jiggy with it?" It's not on the list, but doesn't that mean fucking, too?

Last edited:
Hmmm. At least in my dialect (British English), rogering refers exclusively to anal sex, and 'making (a) whoopee' is something only a 4 year old would exclaim, upon delight at his/her own ability to fart loudly and longly.

It's all so very culturally dependent.

As long as it's clear what people mean from context though, I'm generally not bothered. The inherent contradiction in phrases like 'sleeping together' don't grate half as much for me as stuff like 'six month anniversary' or the US English 'could care less' (when you actually mean you *couldn't* care any less, or if you were going for irony, you could care more but don't).

We are all pedants in different ways! ;)

"Discuss Uganda"???? o_O

As for "Getting it on," I simply cannot say that phrase without doing so in a 1970s 'hey bebeh' voice. Or a bad facsimile thereof. ;)

I also now have the song running through my head. Note to self: don't burst into song while at work today. :eek:

Ooh rumpy pumpy! My new partner and I did the rumpy pumpy last night, lol.

I like "a bit of the ol' slap and tickle." Sounds kinky.

But most of those terms are just silly fun. For ordinary language, I like have sex, fuck, or shag. Shag, because I am obsessed with Eddie Izzard and he says it a lot. Come to think of it, he also says fuck a lot.

Making whoopee was a stupid term that I only ever heard on the old Newly Wed game in the '70's. It came from a sad song from even earlier.

Another bride, another June
Another sunny honeymoon
Another season, another reason
For makin' whoopee

A lot of shoes, a lot of rice
The groom is nervous, he answers twice
It's really killin'
That he's so willin' to make whoopee

Picture a little love nest
Down where the roses cling
Picture the same sweet love nest
Think what a year can bring

He's washin' dishes and baby clothes
He's so ambitious he even sews
But don't forget folks
That's what you get folks, for makin' whoopee

Another year or maybe less
What's this I hear? Well, you can't confess
She feels neglected, and he's suspected
Of makin' whoopee

She sits alone 'most every night
He doesn't phone her, he doesn't write
He says he's busy but she says, "Is he?"
He's makin' whoopee

He doesn't make much money
Only five thousand per
Some judge who thinks he's funny
Says, "You'll pay six to her"

He says, "Now Judge, suppose I fail?"
The Judge says, "Budge, right into jail"
You'd better keep her, I think it's cheaper
Than makin' whoopee

You'd better keep her
I know it's cheaper
Than makin' whoopee

That list of slang terms is hilarious. One that always made me laugh was from the sitcom Laverne & Shirley -- not sure how the writers really spelled it, but it sounds like "vo-dee-oh-doe-doe." Shirley Feeney was such an adorable little prude.

I have never heard some of these. Hot beef injection? That just sounds nasty. Make it stop. None of those are my cup of tisane. Recently, I heard one on an older movie from the 70s--maybe 80s. The character said something to his wife about "opening the door/garage and letting an old friend come in for a visit." He was trying to get it on, and she was not having it.

None of those terms on that list are sexy, and I felt my hormone levels drop with every line I read.

None of those terms on that list are sexy, and I felt my hormone levels drop with every line I read.

"We are not amused." Thank you, Queen V!

Ry, you're hilarious. You remind me of my asexual sister.

That list of slang terms is hilarious. One that always made me laugh was from the sitcom Laverne & Shirley -- not sure how the writers really spelled it, but it sounds like "vo-dee-oh-doe-doe." Shirley Feeney was such an adorable little prude.

Oh, thank you for reminding me of that!!!! I am going to try to bring that expression into vogue by using it ALL THE TIME!

Re: getting jiggy with it ... woohoo! Wiktionary confirms it: "To have sexual intercourse."

Re: roger ... Wiktionary says, either, "Of a man, to have sexual intercourse with (someone), especially in a rough manner," or, "To have sexual intercourse."

Re (from tenK):
"It's all so very culturally dependent."

Yes it is.

Re (from YouAreHere):
"'Discuss Uganda????' o_O"

Heheheheheheh; that was one of my favorites. That and "how's your father."

Re: slap and tickle ... all I could find in Wiktionary was, "Mild or playful kissing, cuddling, and other amorous play." But intercourse could be a subset of "amorous play," right?

Re: shag and Eddie Izzard ... Austin Powers and shag go together too. Must be why I like both fellows. :)

Re (from FullofLove1052):
"None of those terms on that list are sexy, and I felt my hormone levels drop with every line I read."

Hahahahahahahah; sorry for making your hormone levels drop [evil chuckle].

I think "lovemaking" sounds romantic, but it's all downhill from there.

Many vo-dee-oh-doe-doe's to all of you,
Kevin T.

Right. It is precisely like, "We are not turned on!" I am on the asexual spectrum.

And I completely see Lady Grantham in me, Mags. Martha serenading Lady Grantham with "Let Me call You Sweetheart." My reaction--through a smile and gritted teeth--would be, "No, no, dear. This is hardly appropriate."

I really want to send a euphemistic e-mail to Matt. Something along the lines of, "Big daddy, my hormones are raging, and I need some sexy-time with a bit of play. Oh, yes! We need to buff the muffin. You can start with an Aussie Kiss. I am willing to down some baby batter. Then, I want to share sexual space and sex-share via double dose of hot beef injection. I want you to smash my back out while you hide the sausage, and after, we can sleep together. In the morning, after I powder my nose, I want to do it again. Let's get it on, Snookie Wookie Ookums. I am ready to knock boots. You know you want to kick a goal!" [Credit to YAH for coining that nauseating pet name.] Sexiest e-mail ever right there. I already know his response would be something off the charts.

Thirteenth, thank you for that Laverne and Shirley clip! :D

Looking over that list again reminds me that "sleeping together" is not the worst one!

I am on the asexual spectrum.

"Big daddy, my hormones are raging, and I need some sexy-time with a bit of play. Oh, yes! We need to buff the muffin. You can start with an Aussie Kiss. I am willing to down some baby batter. Then, I want to share sexual space and sex-share via double dose of hot beef injection. I want you to smash my back out while you hide the sausage, and after, we can sleep together. In the morning, after I powder my nose, I want to do it again. Let's get it on, Snookie Wookie Ookums. I am ready to knock boots. You know you want to kick a goal!"

OK, now I am turned on.

Looking over that list again reminds me that "sleeping together" is not the worst one!

It is! It is! This is my thread and I say it is! It's boring!

As a Sims gamer, I just have to mention the utter sillyness that is "WooHoo". Translated as the hardly any less ridiculous term "Techtelmechtel" into the German version. :D

Does it make me a hopeless sop that I really, really like the term "making love"? I know that most folks on the asexual spectrum seem to loathe it... how is it seen by here with the poly bunch?

Back