What to expect from the new film Trainwreck

Seekingadvice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-pwOQl11s4

So this film seems to be a RomCom about a woman who rejects monogamy. It got me interested... enough to watch the trailer.

Now I'm just irritated by it. It seems to be written from the perspective of someone who is monogamous and considers non monogamy to be a socially wrong path (even right down to the title "Trainwreck").

It also annoys me that it chose to focus on this woman basically just being about casual sex - it's fine if that's what you're into - but the general population already seem to think that's ALL there is to non monogamy. It would be nice I guess to see a decent rom-com which ended in a loving poly family... most love triangle type rom-coms end with a decision having to be made because "monogamy is ultimately the only solution".

Is this likely to be for the poly community what 50 Shades was to the kink community? I mean 50 shades reached a lot of people, made kink more socially acceptable (and even fashionable to an extent), it also got people talking about kink which was cool... but it also gave them a very wrong message about what kink was and thus pissed off 99% of the community.

What are your thoughts?

Is this likely to be for the poly community what 50 Shades was to the kink community?

I don't think so because few people will even think of this as a poly movie. It's pitched as a "modern girl" movie and to most people that means a woman who is sexually confident. The concept of poly won't even enter into the discussion (.....if there even is one. 50 Shades is a head scratching anomaly in the world of romance marketing.) Amy Schumer kicks ass, but yeah, it's a standard Hollywood rom-com. Judging from the trailer, it's about a "modern" girl who finds the prince charming who saves her from her shallow "trainwreck" existence. I think we've all seen this movie about six thousand times already.

Last edited:
Back