Is it wrong to cancel a date

You would be surprised.. I have met women repulsed by beards.. height etc. Its kind of funny to me..

It is interesting isnt it? now that you mention it, a guy recently shaved his beard and i was instantly less atracted to him. i love facial hair (though again, BF has none and i still find him very attractive)

If you say you also have long hair Im gonna start hitting on you. (i kid i kid)

So what youre saying ... size matters :D Are there any other size requirements (minimums ) these new suitors should know about :D ?

A recently divorced male friend of mine is having the same problem with the weight (size ) of some of the lady's he's met on line. The dilemma is put the requirement in the profile page and weather the negative comments or waste a lot of time on first dates

LOL :D not always but it might, just depends on how well they know how to use it. ;)

Yeah, a height requirement might be a good idea. I always check details but this guy didn't have his filled out. I don't worry about the negative comments, it's not like it's facebook where it appears on my wall for the world to see.

I'm very forthcoming on mine. I say I'm a bbw (I am told I'm not) but it's better safe to put that out there then the guy/girl has zero surprises. :cool:

I am amazed at people who write potentially wonderful partners for superficial things bbeyond their control. Why judge a book solely by its cover.

Maybe I'm superficial, I don't think I am, but I have been with too many guys in my life (and I mean too many) to not know what I'm attracted to. Yes there is a possibility some chemistry might exist between a guy shorter than 5'11 and I could be missing out on something amazing. But with this guy, it was just more than his height.

When I married DH he had a head full of hair and no facial hair. For the last 12 years, shaves it bald and facial hair. But my attraction to some one new does not include the facial hair just the height.;)

When you met Murph it wasn't from an online dating site and that helps. For me, until I get the nerve to flirt with some of the hotties at the gym, I'm on-line.

Unless a man had it done in adulthood that is within his control how?

I am amazed at people who write potentially wonderful partners for superficial things bbeyond their control. Why judge a book solely by its cover.

The same control a man has over his height ;)

The same control a man has over his height ;)

My point exactly.

Murf is very different in someways than any man I have dated. Past men 6ft plus.. 200lbs.. Usually very Nordic features. Murf is 5'6" brown eyes and hair. Very Irish in his features.
He has knocked me for a loop. His natural scent drives me nuts. First timehe kissed me my knees buckled. Hasn't let up in 17 months. in fact gets worse as time passes.

It doesn't matter what your reason is. You're a grown-up, so if you want to cancel a date, then cancel it. To be honest, I was flabbergasted by the subject of your thread - do you really need people you don't know to tell you it's okay to cancel a date you don't want to go on? Don't go if you don't want to!

My point exactly.

Murf is very different in someways than any man I have dated. Past men 6ft plus.. 200lbs.. Usually very Nordic features. Murf is 5'6" brown eyes and hair. Very Irish in his features.
He has knocked me for a loop. His natural scent drives me nuts. First timehe kissed me my knees buckled. Hasn't let up in 17 months. in fact gets worse as time passes.

Oh I get it. I personally never say never. Im not normally attracted to heavy set guys but here I am, seeing a 300 lb man and I think he's sexy ;)

It doesn't matter what your reason is. You're a grown-up, so if you want to cancel a date, then cancel it. To be honest, I was flabbergasted by the subject of your thread - do you really need people you don't know to tell you it's okay to cancel a date you don't want to go on? Don't go if you don't want to!

Well you can be flabergasted all you want. I didn't know there are rules for not being allowed to work through our thoughts here. If you read my OP you would have read through my thought process that I needed advice on how to tell the guy I wanted to cancel the date. Guess I'm a backwater retard in your opinion of me. I think this is the second time you've belittled a thread of mine that is important to me. I'm not sure why my "concerns" get treated this way by you, guess this forum is not a place for a bumpkin like me to come to.

Yep, I did read your OP, your thought process, and the entire thread, in fact. I personally don't understand why you wouldn't go out with a short guy, but hey, that's your choice and you're attracted to whatever you're attracted to so I saw no need to comment on that aspect of your post, as others have.

It's the part about wondering whether you should cancel it that gets me. :confused: You're an adult, so if you don't want to go, don't go. It's easy enough to call or text someone and say you can't make it or changed your mind. You don't have to tell him it's because you're prejudiced against short men. What is so befuddling about that?

That you think strangers on the internet would know better what you should do about saying yes or no to someone you haven't even met yet makes no sense to me. However, telling you my direct, objective opinion is not belittling you or stating any rules (?), so I don't know where you got that from what I wrote. You seem overly sensitive. I have no emotion connected to posting my reply, and no idea why you're reacting so melodramatically. I am just calling it as I see it, and this is a public message board, so take it or leave it.

I don't have any opinion of you. I don't recall any of your other threads, nor anything else about you, so I don't remember of my previous responses from any of them, but you can put me on your ignore list if you do not like blunt or direct responses.

My point exactly.

Dag, a lot of your posts about you and Murf sound so much like me and Nudge! Makes me smile :)

It is interesting isnt it? now that you mention it, a guy recently shaved his beard and i was instantly less atracted to him. i love facial hair (though again, BF has none and i still find him very attractive)

If you say you also have long hair Im gonna start hitting on you. (i kid i kid)

nope.. short usually very short.

I dumped the long blond hair when I was in my teens. Doesn't really work in the type of work I have done in my life :)

nope.. short usually very short.

I dumped the long blond hair when I was in my teens. Doesn't really work in the type of work I have done in my life :)

You were blonde? Can't picture it.

You were blonde? Can't picture it.

Ya my hair was the colour of your sons actually. As I aged, and in turn stopped having so much time in the son, it darkened.

If I spend the summer on a beach, it goes right back to being blond (at least it has in the past).. :).. tan, blonde with blue eyes..

I personally don't get why many short women prefer tall men, but whatever floats your boat :p You've added that it's not only his height that bothers you, though, so IMO, there's nothing wrong in cancelling the date.

I'm 5'1 and though I personally prefer short men(it's much more easier to kiss and cuddle), I don't really care. J is 5'2 and O is 6'1... With O, even if I stand on the tip of my toes, he still has to bend over to kiss me... It's not a huge issue, or I wouldn't be dating him, but it definitely isn't an advantage :p

Yeah its the opposite for me on the height. I'm short so once a guy's height is beyond 6', my interest goes down with every inch. Some guys are clumsy. The 6'4" one that fell on me made an impression. Literally.
Most I've dated were still, to varying degrees taller. I rarely meet men my height.

For me its dark hair. I just don't dig on blonds. Or blondes for that matter.

Not wrong at all to cancel a date

but you might be wise to just not make plans for a second one. You wouldn't be the first person to have another person change your view on life and what you once thought you knew for sure.

There are many stories about how a person would never be able to be with someone who was _____, that is until I met so and so. So maybe keep that one date just to make sure you aren't one of the people who live their whole life and retain the viewpoint of never being attracted to anyone shorter than 5'11", but only because you cancelled that date

But then there to, you might find you know for sure you can't be with a short person because you dated every single person available, if you would regret wasting all that time, then cancel the date. I subscribe to the "you never know" theory because life is peculiar.

Last edited:
But then there to, you might find you know for sure you can't be with a short person because you dated every single person available, if you would regret wasting all that time, then cancel the date. I subscribe to the "you never know" theory because life is peculiar.

I did cancel. The height thing with this guy didn't help to keep my intetest in meeting.

Yes, you are right "you never know". I have been talking with a diffeent guy, 5'8, and have plans to meet next weekend. I know I do have a height preference but in reality, it boils down to a personality preference more than any thing.

I think I should have titled this "What's Your Preference" rather than my OP Title.

Last edited:
Back when I was single and monogamous I always said I had a "type." I liked men with light complexions, with blonde or light brown hair, blue eyes. Tattoos were a huge plus. Fast forward to when I started dating on-line and I met my now husband. He was the polar opposite of my "type." He has dark black hair, dark skin (he is often mistaken for Arab or Hispanic), brown eyes, and he hates tattoos. I knew this before we first met in person, but opted to meet him anyway because I had come to realize through phone calls and e-mails that he had a wonderful personality. Now had his personality not been as obvious before we met would I have chosen to meet him? Probably, but who knows if it would have gone anywhere.

I have come to realize that for myself I should try to not let my opportunities in life because of someone's outward appearance. Oh, and it turns out I am not my husband's "type" either. He prefers bigger women, with curves, while I am a size 2 girl who still has the body of a teenager.

I personally don't get why many short women prefer tall men

Why do some men like big breasts? Personal preference. But these superficial characteristics are deceiving.

Online dating is bass-ackwards to me. It encourages people to make judgements based on superficial characteristics such as height, weight, age, etc. and rule out people because they are just over the line: too old, too young, too short, too fat.

Meeting people at parties or meet-ups, however, you make a connection and the chemistry comes first. When you find the right chemistry, the "list" that was so important goes out the door.

Back