Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 AM

Thank you both so much for commenting. Itís really affirming, oddly, to hear support for poly not being for everyone and hard on all.

I loved it while I was doing it.

But, it really does feel right to give it up.

It gave me so many chances to grow.

And so much forced growth - things being strongly hurtful enough to put my foot down, and become a different person through it.

It didnít give much rest, much relaxation, much security, but I suspect that was also a large part, me. Maybe why it was a good fit while it was.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 PM
Official Greeter

Sometimes poly can be helpful. Sometimes not.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:35 AM

Default New to Poly

I'm new, and in the midst of my first real Poly relationship... and I will tell you I have been on an emotional roller coaster the last couple months like I did not expect. I'm not an overly emotional guy, I'm pretty rational in my day to day life and work, and rarely make rash decisions, but... I have been facing down every internal demon I have (I won't list them here) and some I didn't know I had...

I could interpret the feelings as traumatic at times, because I have struggled through a lot of self doubt - since its my first experience doing anything like dating in almost 20 years, boy it brings back a lot of old feelings and things I had I had conquered in my 20s... and a lot of joyous exciting feelings too.

And to be honest, I am pretty sure my brain works like a Poly brain - I can love more than one person, I prefer to love more than one person... but if every relationship is this emotional and requires this much thought at some point I may go to the sidelines and root for team Poly but sit on the bench for a while.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Spaminator

I consider myself innately poly. Still, I am transitioning to mono. Not because of anything bad with poly. I'm a little worried that I won't be able to handle monogamy. It's not going to be easy for me.