Those strange patterns in your dating history

I guess mine would be that every guy I have been involved with has worked in the music business in one form or another. But every woman has worked in different fields.

All my lasting relationships have been with very intelligent creative introverts.

Ex was a software developer/writer

Nate is a artist/writer

Sam is a writer /thespian/computer technician

All my lasting relationships have been with very intelligent creative introverts.

Ex was a software developer/writer

Nate is a artist/writer

Sam is a writer /thespian/computer technician

My patterns are similar, though my real loves are usually pretty extreme extroverts that walk to the beat of their own drum.

#1 Long term: musician/writer

#2 Love: writer/philosopher/beatnik/basically a modern Neal Cassidy (which is why it didn't work)

#3 Love: Photographer/scholar of the arts, conspiracy, healing, etc

#4 My best friend and chosen life partner: comedian/writer/filmmaker

As patterns go, I tend to attract a lot of engineers, for some reason.

Hmm!
Interesting posts! :p
I would say that I sort of feel like a gay man in a woman's body. I have been told on numerous occasions by gay men that they would date me but I would be an exception to their rule
Now I mostly attract heteroflexible men, and it maybe the past gay boys were just from a time when heteroflexible wasn't even a word.

I have dated 4 gay men from ages 14-17, and 6 openly heteroflexible men from when I was 25- present.

As for women, I have dated almost 100% bi women not gay women. And most of those experiences the woman was with other people too even before I was properly open poly myself.

Last edited:
Every guy I've had sex with (16 people) has the word MAN or SON somewhere in their name. Mostly their last names, but a couple of them in their first names.

those strange patterns in your dating history that can't be explained.

Older, married, fiercely intelligent, athletic (sometimes bulimic), emotionally troubled brunettes.

Perhaps it can be explained thus:
intelligent + emotionally troubled = plenty of game playing/manipulation from us both
married = doesn't trigger my intimacy/commitment issues

I think all of us find coincidences with the people we date and/or are attracted to because we do unconsciously seek similarities and find comfort in certain types of people. There's no surprise in the coincidence that two women I've had relationships with are now tenured professors, for example (neither was when I was with them).

On the other hand I can't explain why the two women I've been married to have had the same middle name...and that despite them being from different countries, growing up speaking different languages. (My ex got an English middle name because her father was from the UK). Or the fact that I somehow dated two women with the same first name, middle initial, and last initial (and their last names were almost the same at that).

I tend to end up dating people who are at least 7-10 years younger than me. I cruise online for people my age or older, but I'm guessing they're looking for someone younger than me as well ;)

Here's another pattern, this one divided by gender. I tend to be attracted to women who work as counsellors/therapists/teachers and men who work in IT.

Here's a weird one I've yet to fully understand...

EVERY single connection (literally), every man has lost their mom to death and in 2 situations, on an emotional level, void of mom ...

and you would think that maybe, I coddle like a mom (which I don't). and you might think I seek it out (which I don't because LITERALLY in every case, I don't find out till WAY after a connection is established).

WHAT ... THE FUCK .. RIGHT ??? :p weird as hell ...

It used to bother me but for some reason .. I get these men who all have that in common. So far my theory is that I am emotionally stable (and they love that), I'm very emotionally expressive yet I like to keep my emotional sharing clean (whatever that means - I just don't do sloppy relationship). I have mad communication skills even in the midst of anxiety. I'm super forthright but on occasion maybe a bit intense ... so maybe they lean on me psychologically like women often lean on men for logic resonance ?

Regardless .. the universe loves me enough to play with patterns ... I, to this day, do not know if I should take it as a compliment or an insult. :p:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My pattern is dating Capricorns... I have had several short flings with them when younger, but my last three significant others lasted 3 years, 2 years, 4 years and were all Capricorns. Two of them share the exact same birthday; same day same year. (So weird!)

My best friend and my mom are also Capricorns. Apparently I am a goat-magnet.

There have been several men called James in my life.

Apart from that, I seem to have a history of brilliant, creative, manic artists or musicians. Often can't look after themselves and impossible to live with ego wise, and I wonder if part of me sees the best in others and wants to nurture it. After a very bad relationship with an abusive narcissist, I am hoping I am cured :)
All the women I have had relationships with identified as straight...

TheKnight pointed out the other day that the majority of men I date who are _not_ him tend to be artistic in some way, and tend to be physically slender/non-athletic types. (Knight was fairly slender when we met but bulked up a bit as he got older, and has always done some level of sports/martial arts, and isn't artistic).

What can I say, I enjoy the contrast?

(Also I'm a terrible person in that height is a bit of a requirement - I'm only 5'3", but I almost never date any guys under 6' for more than a few dates. ::shrug::)

The last two men I got super attached to had certain similarities.

Both of them were older by at least 10 years.
Both of them were nerdy, intellectual, and created rather immersive and slightly odd worlds inside of their homes, where they lived alone. I'd call both of their homes, "a strange place" but for completely different reasons.
Both liked cats.
Both were barely taller than me (I'm 5'3") and had bellies like barrels, not just kind of large, but hard, not soft squishy fat bellies. Apparently a body type I favor in a man.
Both were naturally somewhat sadistic and were rougher with me than partners tend to be, though Zen is much better at this.
Both had a voice and laugh that I loved to hear.
Despite being older, neither one is significantly balding.

Otherwise it's hard for me to pin down patterns decisively. Because my love life has had such big chapters to it. From my slut rampage teenager days to my 18 year marriage, to my attempt to date and find a middle ground between exploring my sexuality and owning it...but not quite slutting like I used to...since I left my ex. I can't assume that the things I used to see in the interactions of my high school days will have much bearing on what I'm doing now.

Back