Moments in Poly

Al99

So - maybe it would be interesting and amusing to share some of our more memorable poly moments - perhaps the humorous as well as the epiphanies.
Maybe the sentimental and heartwarming - Or... you know your poly if........

The first one that sprung to mind for me was a night that my wife and I were on vacation. She had fallen asleep - while I was still up reading - when she suddenly sat up in bed, and starting calling out her boyfriend's name and telling him to come back to bed. While it was mildly disturbing, I actually found it quite amusing --- you know your poly if.... (I am grateful that our young daughter, asleep in the other bed in the motel room, did not wake up!)

Other moments out there? Al

You know you're poly if ...

... if there's confusion over who should open the car door for her.

You know you're poly when...

...someone calls out "honey" and everyone in the room turns around.

As a parent, I liken this to being at a school function, hearing some child plaintively wail, "muuuum!" and seeing two dozen heads all snap up at the same time and scan the room, thinking it was their child.

:D

Good choice of topic though, Al.

I can think of many, many memorable poly moments - and I've only been in a non-monogamous relationship by choice for the past year or so.

I guess one heartwarming story involves the time my LD male partner sent me a present - a gorgeous and meaningful item of jewellery to be exact - which was a rare and lovely thing to happen, as it wasn't expected or for any occasion in particular.

But although heartwarming in itself, the polyamorous part of this story is that I then noticed there was another item of jewellery in the box. Due to the nature of the thing, I knew it was meant to be one of a pair... but though I looked and looked, shook the box, searched the ground around me, I couldn't see the other half anywhere!

My stomach sank, as I thought about how to tell my partner I'd lost part of his present, or it had somehow disappeared in transit... but when I tentatively mentioned receiving his gift, he then surprised the hell out of me by telling me that I'd only gotten one half of the set on purpose - he had sent the OTHER one to my OSO, so that she and I have a matched set between Us. (My girlfriend is his metamour, essentially, so that was a really sweet gesture.)

You know you're poly when...

...you cringe when thinking about monogamy.
...you find that the song Two Ladies (from Cabaret) describes your ideal relationship.

When a toxic friend decided to try and make my life miserable by telling Cat that I was sleeping with Elle. She told him, "I know. What business is that of yours?" I just called him a dumbass.

On the slightly racier side, you know you're poly when...

When doing the laundry the morning after your wife returns from her overnight, you find ...uhhh... stained undergarments... and you just smile at the evidence of her good time ... while also thinking about how much fun it's going to be teasing her about it.... :)

Last edited:
I was in bed with Tracy, & she brushed her hands over my back, making me wince. I hadn't noticed the clawmarks on my back.

Next night, when Jeanne came over, Tracy looked at her & said, "you really have to bring him back in the condition you checked him out in!!"

Yup

I was in bed with Tracy, & she brushed her hands over my back, making me wince. I hadn't noticed the clawmarks on my back.

Next night, when Jeanne came over, Tracy looked at her & said, "you really have to bring him back in the condition you checked him out in!!"

Always funny and be fun.. That is..lol

Yes, Otherwise they will start competing to see who can leave the most unassuming intentional Mark!

Haha, both of my loves are sadists (in a good way) so if one leaves bruises the other pinches them just to see me wiggle.

That cracked me up! I love it!

You know you're poly when . . .

You have an awesome date, and the first thing you do when you get home is passionately kiss your fiancée.

You know you're poly when your metamour volunteers to lend you her cycling helmet for your vacation, roughly around the time you're writing on this forum about your fierce fight.

You know you're poly when you are honestly disappointed and sad for your wife after her boyfriend had to cancel that date that she had been really looking forward to...

(And, you know - if you had asked me a year ago if I could have even imagined being disappointed that my wife didn't get to go have an evening of passionate sex with another man, the question itself would have seemed insane. Sometimes it still seems a bit like the twilight zone. :) )

Last edited:
You know you're poly when. . .

You're texting all three of your sweeties AND browsing the forum here at the same time.

You know you're poly when your husband tells you to go spend time with your boyfriend even though it's a rare kid free night, because otherwise you won't get to see him for several days.

You know you're poly when you take your wife to the airport early on a Sunday afternoon so she can arrive in time to spend the night with her boyfriend before the next round of business meetings on Monday morning - and you tell her to have a great time as you kiss her goodbye.

Back