French court allows stepmother to marry with stepson

I always like it when the courts rule in favor of the relationships between consenting adults.

Just another proof that the incest taboo has nothing to do with genes.

I'm glad this couple got to marry, especially since she can't possibly have raised him (they're only 3 years apart) which is probably what the law is trying to prevent (people marrying people they raised) due to the power dynamics and potential for abuse.

Didn't Woody Allen marry his stepdaughter as well? Of course different countries = different laws. I do remember a lot of people making a fuss about it though, although the fuss they made was at least partially about cheating (I have no clue if any cheating happened, I wasn't there. They could definitely have made up that part).

Didn't Woody Allen marry his stepdaughter as well? Of course different countries = different laws. I do remember a lot of people making a fuss about it though, although the fuss they made was at least partially about cheating (I have no clue if any cheating happened, I wasn't there. They could definitely have made up that part).

This is oft-repeated untruth. Woody Allen and Mia Farrow were never married, never even lived together. Woody Allen married Mia Farrow's adopted daughter, Soon-yi. There was some cheating, though. Mia and Woody broke up when she found nude pictures Woody took of her (20-year old) daughter. Then Woody married Soon-yi, and they are still married.

This is oft-repeated untruth. Woody Allen and Mia Farrow were never married, never even lived together. Woody Allen married Mia Farrow's adopted daughter, Soon-yi. There was some cheating, though. Mia and Woody broke up when she found nude pictures Woody took of her (20-year old) daughter. Then Woody married Soon-yi, and they are still married.

Thanks for the clarification. Quite honestly, I don't think it makes a huge difference if they were married or not, because I don't think marriage is that important (being allowed to get married is important. But whether you choose to marry or not, I don't really care. If your relationship is serious and committed I'll think of your partner as your spouse) and not living together doesn't necessarily mean not serious, or not committed.

I think it does make a big difference whether the first relationship was serious or not. If it had just started and was casual and he realised he liked the daughter more, I find it less difficult for someone to live with than if it happened after a really serious and long relationship.

The cheating I find more relevant, but cheating does happen and it would be unrealistic to assume it doesn't.

Of course, the fact that they weren't legally married IS relevant in this specific topic, as maybe the law would have prevented the second marriage if the first relationship had been a marriage. So I stand corrected in my previous comment.

Still, it shoes the taboo we have with those things is not about genes. Especially when in this case the daughter was also adopted, so not genetically similar to her mother.

Back