Calgary poly - friendships!

ElMango

Hi all!

I was wondering if there are any other YYC poly people so we can have some like minded friends to talk with and potentially meet up with that aren't our SOs!

Cere Bayou

That's for sure! I'm halfway to considering moving to a more liberal city (for this and other reasons!). I've found the facebook page for the city, but it's not super active

That's for sure! I'm halfway to considering moving to a more liberal city (for this and other reasons!). I've found the facebook page for the city, but it's not super active

I'm not fully out on Facebook. Slowly I'm getting there. I sent you a PM as well

Hi all! I was wondering if there are any other YYC poly people so we can have some like minded friends to talk with and potentially meet up with ...

One here. I tried the Meet-Up group which turned out to be a front for a swinger's club that charged a steep admission for guys only. They looked at all open relationships the same way. I brought my concerns to the organizer who basically told me the group probably wasn't for me. Feeling somewhat misled, if not appalled, I withdrew from that group and haven't found anything that I'd call truly poly around here since.

Interested

I agree with the above...there's not a lot of community for relationship dynamics.
As the monogamous half of an open (poly friendly) marriage, I would definitely be interested in conversation or meet ups with other interesting relationships.

I agree with the above...there's not a lot of community for relationship dynamics.
As the monogamous half of an open (poly friendly) marriage, I would definitely be interested in conversation or meet ups with other interesting relationships.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for commenting! I'm fairly new here too and find the people here very civil even when there are differences of viewpoints or opinions.

One here. I tried the Meet-Up group which turned out to be a front for a swinger's club that charged a steep admission for guys only. They looked at all open relationships the same way. I brought my concerns to the organizer who basically told me the group probably wasn't for me. Feeling somewhat misled, if not appalled, I withdrew from that group and haven't found anything that I'd call truly poly around here since.

Is this the MeetUp at Eau Claire?

We had an unimpressive MeetUp with a poly group that was advertised as an informational session and turned into a “tell us your insecurities and sign up” group. They crowded us in a small room and the leader sat in front of the door so we couldn’t leave. By the end of it I left in disgust and had people following me out asking if I’m going to join. My wife was with me and is generally considered gorgeous. She was creeped out by the guys staring at her the entire night and never wants to see them again.

Disappointing to say the least.

New Connections

I'm wondering if the few people here might be interested in meeting up just to come up with a game plan on how to get a true poly scene going here in Calgary. I've got a basic website up ( link below ), but maybe if we put our heads together we can come up with something better. There's around a million people here. There must be more than a handful who would be interested if there was some public awareness. I'm considering creating a new Meetup group.

Last edited:
Poly Meetup

I would definitely be interested in a poly community. Currently the meet up groups seem more like swinger groups.

Exactly.

I started the process of registering on Meetup but stalled when I discovered it was going to cost me money. I've been looking at other Meetup type software to start my own Meetup type website, but it looks like a lot of work.

Do you think that if I started a group on Meetup that it wouldn't bother members if I were to ask for a small donation to cover the cost of operating?

The other thing that stalled me was the thought that there are so few people in the area who seem interested that it would be a waste of effort, and even if a few were attracted to it, I've had so much debate here over my ideas on what being truly poly means, that I'm not sure how to handle that. I have very specific ideas about what "truly poly" is, and don't want to compromise that.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

There's still an active Polyamory Calgary group on FB. It's a secret group for privacy with a public facing page at https://www.facebook.com/Poly-Calgary-460999460585444/ for contact information.

Again, for privacy they look for people to attend an event before getting access to the FB group, but events are I believe at least monthly, or you can make other arrangements through contacting admins at [email protected]

It's been a while since attending, but the group was in a good state the last time I met with them.

Interested

Will be nice to meet up with the Poly community in Calgary. Newbie from Vancity.. am solopoly. any kitchen table happening?

Back