Captain's Log

Last night I met up with Shane at a wine bar. He explained he was stuck at work when he flaked on me earlier this week, so I let it drop. Once the wine kicked in, so did my libido. Shane still has houseguests, so we couldn't go to his place, and one of my husband's hard bottom-lines is no sex with other partners in our home. We went to a karaoke bar for a bit, and Shane wanted to make out in the bar. I allowed it, but I know some of the staff, so I felt a bit weird. It's a small town. Yes, my husband knows I date outside the marriage, but he wants me to be "discreet." Making out in a karaoke bar might not qualify, in Arlo's eyes.

I keep wiggling for more space, trying to become what I'm supposed to become. It's complicated when my life partner, Arlo, resists change. For example, Shane asked me if he might be able to take me with him one weekend when he travels to the mainland. But that would involve having a big conversation with Arlo where I let him know "there's someone I want to spend more time with." Arlo won't love the idea, and there will probably be mild drama while he processes that new reality. At this time, I don't want to spend a weekend with Shane badly enough to risk rocking the boat with Arlo.

Luckily, Shane understands. He was in a similar arrangement with his ex-wife, who was also monogamous. Her bottom-lines were almost verbatim to Arlo's: "Don't wave it in my face, and don't publicly embarrass me." Of course Shane was mostly only interested in casual hook-ups, so he might not have struggled as much. I'll have to ask him the details. I'd be interested to hear how he handled it, or if it ever backfired. He said he got divorced because they both travelled all the time, not because of his extramarital relationships.

When I got home last night, Arlo was home from work. Arlo and I had not-good sex before bed. I propositioned him, he accepted, but there was no real enthusiasm on either part. I was drunk and tired. Arlo's lack of healthy habits, his working too much, drinking, smoking, and coking too much, really has taken a toll on his ability to get hard, stay hard, and orgasm, and I resent it. I want us to have a good sex life together. And I really wanted to have sex with someone yesterday.

Here's another example of why Arlo's DADT-rule is annoying. I'm wary of accepting gifts from lovers. Shane gave me a bottle of wine today from his wine club and I'm thinking about what to say if Arlo mentions it (it's a Chardonnay and I never drink Chardonnay.) I've told Arlo he must never expect me to lie, so I guess I'll just tell him "Someone gave it to me," and let Arlo infer what he likes.

Today I took Shane paddleboarding, he'd never gone. We had a great time, even found a secluded bit of shore to fuck upon (standing up--we hadn't brought towels or blankets.) I think it's funny that we've done it twice now, both times outdoors. Orgasms for us both!

Looking at Shane, I can see how Arlo would feel insecure if they met. Shane is more sexual than Arlo, has more a lot more money, Shane is more well-traveled and has more education. He's even in better shape. But Arlo and I share a history, we are a family, and Shane--well, Shane does whatever he likes, he travels a lot, he's shamelessly promiscuous, and he's planning on leaving town for good when his station ends in a little over a year from now. Shane's not life-partner material, and I like having a life partner. Most of the time, I like having Arlo for that life partner. But Shane is pretty perfect for a lover.

Arlo hopes whoever I get serious about, ultimately, will be a woman--and frankly, so do I, not just because it's easier on Arlo, but because I've always wanted a husband and a girlfriend. But, with either gender, Arlo's resistance to them being in my life hinders my ability to bond with them.

I'd been chatting for a few days with a woman on OKCupid, single, bisexual, and polyamorous, who lives on the mainland but travels here a few times a year. She messaged she was "excited to meet healthy poly people." At that point, I explained that my husband wasn't polyamorous, and my marriage had only been open a year and a half. I admitted it hadn't been easy, but that I felt we'd come to a place where we were both fairly comfortable. I didn't want her to think she was dating an experienced poly couple where a friendly metamour might bring her tea while she and I cuddle on my sofa... Not now, maybe not ever.

The chick seems to have ghosted. She lives in a place where there is large poly community, so I'm guessing she can find plenty of people closer to her and with less baggage.

I worry Arlo and I will never outgrow this stage. But, at least for now, things feel pretty good, so I'm choosing to be grateful for the balance of freedom and stability.

Last edited:
My husband, Arlo, and I have hit a rough patch. With our sex life dwindling, lots things around the house and yard in need of maintenance, and him working 60 hours a week, I resent time he spends out drinking with his buddies. We argued because he was out late 2 nights in a row. Arlo is not a good arguer, he attacks me with everything he's got. He brought up that he hasn't gotten over the abortion I had last year. He says a big part of him wishes he had children. It hurts to have to deny him something he wants, but I'm about to turn 42, and I have zero desire to be the caregiver of a child.

We have been talking the last few days about the possibility of transitioning out of our marriage together. We've nearly split before, but I think we both seem less resistant to the idea this time. Arlo might be happier within a more traditional marriage, and I might thrive with a life partner who is more adventurous and sexual. On the other hand, we've got nearly 17 years of living together under our belt, and it's very, very hard and painful to imagine a future in which Arlo is not in my daily life. Nobody in the world knows me better than Arlo. I'm not close, geographically or emotionally, to my parents and have no siblings, so he is my only family.

Though some might say finances shouldn't even be a consideration, I have to be honest and say, for me, they are. I'd have to trade in our nice house with a fishpond and hammock in the yard for a studio apartment, or find a roommate situation--and idea which makes me cringe. I would likely have to work more and/or change one or more my current jobs to make enough to get by. Moving us both out into new rentals will empty our paltry savings.

Are my husband and I even in love anymore? I know I often enjoy his company, and I care what happens to him, but the sexual passion has simmered. There are certainly aspects of him I find utterly unendearing, but I assume that's true with all long-term relationships. We already conduct our social lives separately, it's just easier. I work days, he works nights, I like tequila and karaoke bars, book clubs, and deep talks, while he likes wine and cigar bars, casual chit-chat about work, and watching sports on t.v..

We both know we have a lot of soul-searching to do, but we're both so busy with work that we don't have time or energy to just stop and hash things out. It sucks. I'm just trying to be still and figure out what I really want and need while listening to what Arlo really wants and needs, but I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Our island's tourist season is almost over so hopefully soon we can both a take a breather work-wise and spend some time together and figure this out. As for tonight, Arlo is at work. I can't decide if I should go to a party and be social and refresh my spirit or just stay quiet at home and refresh my body. I do not want to be this tired or this stressed, but I don't see much getting around it right now.

The night before last, Arlo took my hand in the middle of the night and said, "I love you so much. Please don't leave me." I didn't know what to make of that, considering we'd been discussing divorce just days earlier, but I assured him I wasn't trying to leave him. Then last night, he texted that he was staying at a friend's house for the night. I was confused and miffed, thinking he was out getting drunk and high all night and avoiding me.

But when my husband walked in the door in the morning, I recognized the irrepressible little grin that comes after a very nice encounter. "You met a girl!" I shrieked in glee. Arlo wasn't comfortable giving me details, but he admitted (proudly) she is 23 years old (he is 40,) and they kissed, maybe more, they did not have sex. I assured him he had no reason to feel guilty or conflicted about this, it really is ok with me as long as he was a gentleman with her. Then, I jumped in the shower and he joined me. At first, I resisted having sex, not wanting this to be about some other woman. Then I though, what the hell? and gave him an orgasm.

I'm guessing Arlo will need some time to process his feelings about this. I broke down and told my bosses I need a few days off from double-shifts, I need some time for my body and mind. Could this be the start of Arlo truly understanding the benefits of polyamory?

It seems like your husband didn't want poly in the beginning but was afraid that you'd leave him.

You also say he's insecure about your relationships with men.

He might be feeling resentment, abandonment, insecurity, jealousy, and a lot of stress because of the marriage opening up. Doesn't seem like he wanted it in the first place.

I don't see this ending well.

Well, @Listen, no, he didn't want an open marriage, though I always thought he was more open to the idea than he turned out to be. Unfortunately, at this point, my sexuality isn't a genie that's going back in the bottle, not even for my husband, and he understands that. We have no kids, no shared assets, so every day we stay together its out of love. We just had a great day together celebrating my birthday, so today I'm feeling optomistic. He even asked me how things were going for me "relationship-wise," and seemed genuinely glad when I replied "great." For now, I'm going to continue to trust in the man who has been at my side, growing with me, for nearly 17 years, rather than end my marriage to search for some hypothetical partner for whom polyamory is more natural. If it becomes untenable for either of us, I will let him walk away, and I will remain his biggest fan.

Well, @Listen, no, he didn't want an open marriage, though I always thought he was more open to the idea than he turned out to be. Unfortunately, at this point, my sexuality isn't a genie that's going back in the bottle, not even for my husband, and he understands that. We have no kids, no shared assets, so every day we stay together its out of love. We just had a great day together celebrating my birthday, so today I'm feeling optomistic. He even asked me how things were going for me "relationship-wise," and seemed genuinely glad when I replied "great." For now, I'm going to continue to trust in the man who has been at my side, growing with me, for nearly 17 years, rather than end my marriage to search for some hypothetical partner for whom polyamory is more natural. If it becomes untenable for either of us, I will let him walk away, and I will remain his biggest fan.

Just an observation, really.

Ask him how he really feels and what he wishes he could have. Ask him how the situation makes him feel. I'm sure you have done it already, but it's always good to check up on him and how he is doing.

A growing bitterness will stir inside of him and lead him into heavy depression if he truly does not want an open relationship and he feels a lot of mental pain from you being with other men. You already see that he's in a lot of stress.

Make sure he's okay, ever single day.

@Listen, I don't even see him every single day. He works 60 hours a week, which causes much more of his stress than anything I do. I "check in" about once a month. Arlo isn't particularly in touch with his emotions so asking him how he's doing daily would accomplish nothing and annoy him.

During our last check in, I told him he needs to decide if he wants a more traditional marriage (monogamous, children, someone who is more of a homemaker, who values a man who is a provider rather than a companion), or if he wants me. So far, for whatever reason, he chooses me, but believe me, I will ask him again down the road.

"Listen," your posts aren't really appropriate for a blog. Our blogs here in the Life Stories and Blogs forum are "protected" in a way, as they are meant to be a safe space for people to post without being challenged or given advice when they just want to tell their story and/or work things out for themselves. Read our Guidelines for more about that. It's not that people can't post to blogs, but this is not the place to challenge someone or debate a topic. If this blog makes you think of issues you want to discuss, you can start a thread in General Discussions or the Poly Relationships forums.

LoveBunny, I can remove Listen's posts for you, if you like. Let me know. Blogs are the exception where you can ask for any negative or unwanted posts removed from a thread you started.

Thanks, @NYCindie, you can leave the comments. They're certainly nothing I haven't thought of myself, and goddess knows I've heard enough "you shouldn't be doing this to your husband" from the rest of the world that I'm pretty much immune. Thanks for the quick moderating, though.

With my workload lessened and beautiful, perfect weather on the island, I've spent lots of time lately loafing on or near the water with friends. Arlo and I celebrated my birthday with a boat trip to the Nat'l Park. We tried a little sex in the water, but there were too many people around to pull off more than a couple of quick, short thrusts. Last night, Arlo chastised me for getting drunk all yesterday afternoon at the Yacht Club with my girlfriends (the Club isn't stringent about keeping out yachtless riff-raff)--but you know what? I felt good today, rested and focused and positive.

Swinging Single Shane seems to have ghosted again. I didn't get to see him last week due to schedule conflicts, but we had a great text session early this week where he told me he enjoyed my company and said he found me very sexy, and I told him I liked him too. I thought we were getting together Saturday evening, but he did not reply to my text Saturday morning, and I haven't heard from him in the two days since. I'm not sending another text. My phone said the text went through, so it's not that he didn't get it. Even if he didn't, we had talked about seeing each other Saturday, so he knew I was looking forward to it.

Maybe he's mad because I didn't respond to the dick pics he sends me on my birthday. Really, they do nothing for me. I assume he just does it because it turns him on to think of me looking at his penis. I suppose I should text him a "yummy" or "so turned on" just to make him happy. I don't really care to encourage it, though.

It's made me think about what I really want from my "secondary" relationships. I'm longing for a certain level of contact, at least what I get from my closest platonic friends, with whom I rarely go more than a week or two without seeing. Also, I want our time together to be "quality." In other words, I don't want to hang with you while you do your laundry or go food shopping with you. It's a tall order for many people, I know, especially the independent, non-monogamous types willing to date a married woman.

Coco once described my desire for contact with her as me having "a ticking clock." "It must be painful having a ticking clock," she said "Please remember I don't have one." Meaning, she could pass months without seeing me and not care. From that relationship, I learned I want to be with someone who is really excited to spend time with me. Is Shane, or isn't he? I think the answer is "sometimes."

With no current action pending on OkCupid (set up seeking women only) or SwingersDateClub and no one IRL clamoring for my (secondary) hand, I decided to cast the net a bit wider and dirtier: I'm giving the paid version of AdultFriendFinder a try. I fear I'm becoming more and more depraved, but that's not a judgment I'm willing to cast upon myself.

I use a face pic on OkCupid (with secondary full body pics) and a full body pic for SDC, but on AFF I use a picture of just my legs and bikini bottom with the blue ocean between my knees. I set my preferences to women, MEN, and couples--what the hell, come one, come all! I posted my profile (a variation on which is on the other sites:)

My natural, girl-next-door looks hide a rock-star attitude. I work outside and I love spending time on the beach, on the water, or in the woods. At night, I'm usually near a karaoke machine. I'm an introvert, but never a wallflower.

My husband accepts that I have relationships outside the marriage, but he is not involved. I need a few dates before taking it to the bedroom, as I'm very selective about who gets between my legs. I'm passionate, sensitive, and a great communicator.

I'm looking for much more than "casual sex" or "n.s.a. fun." I'm not planning to leave my adorable husband or steal anyone away from their significant other, and I don't expect anyone to be monogamous to me, but I require trust and friendship at the very least. I promise to treat everyone involved with respect and empathy. If we aren't right as lovers, making new platonic friends is fun, too.

I'm capable of the full spectrum, from lust to romantic love, for either gender, and I believe humans are capable of passionate love for more than one person at a time. I've been intimately involved with men, women, couples, and identical twins.

I'm looking for a part-time lover. Possibly two. Someone reasonably local, someone comfortable with true polyamory (the capacity to love more than one person at a time.) I'm especially hoping find a long-term girlfriend. If you're the female half of a male-female couple, that's great, but I'm not looking for a "package deal." If I happen to like your man too, we'll discuss that when the time is right. I'll want lots of sexy time alone with you.

I'm also open to meeting men who are discreet, caring, educated, fit, and sensual, single or practicing ethical non-monogamy. Again, no "package deals." If your lady is bi-curious, she'll have to seduce me herself.

You are brave and free-thinking. You are capable of real intimacy, communication, and connection. You accept that I am already in one committed, long-term relationship which requires a certain amount of my time and energy. You are capable of making and keeping plans and promises.

So far, I've heard from one woman who wouldn't "play" without her man (I hate that expression. "Play." As if sex is a game, or a competitive sport.) I've also heard from numerous single men who clearly haven't read my profile fully: A man looking to cheat, a single man who wanted to come to town and fuck me once in a while, a man interested in "cuckolding." I chatted up one local woman, a swinger, who said she was open to seeing me without her husband. After a few exchanges, I decided we were not a match. Her pictures (face and body) did nothing for me, but worse, she was boring. She even used the word "bored" and "boring" several times when telling me about herself and her life. No, lady, I do not want to come have casual sex with you by the pool because you're bored. I guess I shouldn't expect more from a sex-dating site. I don't think I'll renew.

I'm sure the best thing to do right now is to put my focus elsewhere, stop obsessing over the love and sex I don't have, be glad for the love and sex I do. I knew opening my marriage would change my life, and it has, but not in the way I'd expected. A year and a half of searching, and it's pushed me to be more open, more outgoing, more honest, and more willing to act upon my instincts. It's exhausting, though, and I have to remind myself often to focus on other things. So I'm off to do other things. Just one last peek at AFF first... ;)

So far, I've heard from one woman who wouldn't "play" without her man (I hate that expression. "Play." As if sex is a game, or a competitive sport.)

Oh, gawd, I hate that, too! I want to slap people who say "play" when they're talking about sex. Stupid, ridiculous euphemisms bug the shit out of me.

I had some drama yesterday. Carey was my fuckbuddy from last spring until just before the new year. We didn't have much of an emotional bond, and I felt he was getting too rough with me in bed, so I just stopped seeing him, without any official "break up." He made a couple of attempts at meeting up which I politely declined, then I didn't hear from him for many months. In late March he messaged me with a crude come-on. I just made a glib comment back and ignored him. By then, I could see on Facebook he had a serious girlfriend who seemed pretty possessive, so hitting me up seemed like a douchebag move.

Apparently, his girlfriend snooped in his phone and found his very explicit message to me. So she contacted me. She was perfectly respectful, she said she was thinking about relocating to our city to be with Carey, but she didn't feel she could trust him. I assured her I wasn't sleeping with her boyfriend, and I hadn't been, to my knowledge, while they were dating. I couldn't excuse what he'd written me--clearly, he was out of line.

She asked me for the time frame of my relationship with Carey, and I gave it to her. I wasn't going to cover for him if he was using me to cheat. She informed me he wasn't dating her then, but he was with another woman, long-distance, who he was supposed to be monogamous to. She knows because at the time, he was cheating on the other woman with her. Sigh. I'm not going to tell Carey I heard from her, or warn him that she's decided to contact his other exes. He's on his own.

A couple I know, swingers who previously only "played" together, have found themselves in a polyamorous situation. The wife started dating a friend of her husband and they're struggling to work themselves out. I'm more than a little jealous that her men talk to each other as well as to her, given Arlo's insistence that I maintain utter separation between him and whoever. But I'm glad to have some polyamorous people my age to hang out with.

Shane is confusing me. After not hearing from him all last week, I texted him. He said he's been out of town on his days off, and will be this week too. After that, he's in town the next three weekends, then traveling for three weeks straight. He asked me if I could spend a night with him, maybe travel somewhere with him.

I told him it was possible, in theory, and that we could talk about it next time we see each other. Honestly, I don't know if I'm ready for an overnight with Shane. Arlo has said I can spend nights and take trips with lovers, but I haven't taken him up on that in over a year. I know Arlo will struggle some, and I need to decide if my relationship with Shane is worth that strife. On the other hand, I need Arlo to get used to the idea at some point, if I'm hoping to really take this lifestyle for a ride.

Shane seems lackadaisical about making and keeping plans with me. I am unclear if he's interested in an overnight because he wants to deepen our bond, or because he just wants prolonged sessions of sexual access to me. Maybe he's just saying it to keep me hooked, and he will never actually follow through with it. I can't figure him out. For me, spending a night means emotionally bonding, and I'm worried about getting too attached. I remind myself that Shane goes away a lot, and he's planning to be transferred across the country next year. Anyway, I haven't heard from him in four days. I really miss how he used to text me every other day or so. How I long for an ever-ardent lover, who is consistent with their affections.

My natural, girl-next-door looks hide a rock-star attitude. I work outside and I love spending time on the beach, on the water, or in the woods. At night, I'm usually near a karaoke machine. I'm an introvert, but never a wallflower.

My husband accepts that I have relationships outside the marriage, but he is not involved. I need a few dates before taking it to the bedroom, as I'm very selective about who gets between my legs. I'm passionate, sensitive, and a great communicator.

I'm looking for much more than "casual sex" or "n.s.a. fun." I'm not planning to leave my adorable husband or steal anyone away from their significant other, and I don't expect anyone to be monogamous to me, but I require trust and friendship at the very least. I promise to treat everyone involved with respect and empathy. If we aren't right as lovers, making new platonic friends is fun, too.

I'm capable of the full spectrum, from lust to romantic love, for either gender, and I believe humans are capable of passionate love for more than one person at a time. I've been intimately involved with men, women, couples, and identical twins.

I'm looking for a part-time lover. Possibly two. Someone reasonably local, someone comfortable with true polyamory (the capacity to love more than one person at a time.) I'm especially hoping find a long-term girlfriend. If you're the female half of a male-female couple, that's great, but I'm not looking for a "package deal." If I happen to like your man too, we'll discuss that when the time is right. I'll want lots of sexy time alone with you.

I'm also open to meeting men who are discreet, caring, educated, fit, and sensual, single or practicing ethical non-monogamy. Again, no "package deals." If your lady is bi-curious, she'll have to seduce me herself.

You are brave and free-thinking. You are capable of real intimacy, communication, and connection. You accept that I am already in one committed, long-term relationship which requires a certain amount of my time and energy. You are capable of making and keeping plans and promises.

Just for the record I think this is an AWESOME profile - just what I would respond to when I was on OKC. I clearly stated in my profile "poly, bisexual, married" and looking for someone similar to meet and talk to. I clearly stated that I wasn't part of a "package deal" and was looking to meet individuals on an INDIVIDUAL basis (if I hit it off with your SO, or you with one of mine...great, but by no means expected).

I did end up talking to a few who "got" what I was saying - and ended up going to a MeetUp as a result. But, I got mostly single men who wanted to "join my stable of boys" or couples looking to "play" together. I didn't get any cheaters (that I know of - but I may not have responded to their messages so never got that far).

Then Dude found Lotus (on OKC)...and I got exactly what I was looking for (and more!)...life is funny some times :rolleyes:

JaneQ

Well, Arlo and I are having massive strife. I have to confess, a lot of it is my fault. I'm growing and changing and I'm frustrated by how rigid he is, how hard it seems for him to change ANYTHING, even change which is clearly for the better.

It's not just that he doesn't embrace polyamory to the extent I'd like. He doesn't embrace LIFE. It's about his lack of effort towards anything outside of his work. He doesn't buy new clothes or get haircuts when he needs them. He doesn't fix anything when it breaks, or clean unless I tell him to. He doesn't read or meditate or try to improve himself, he just turns on the t.v.. He doesn't have a drivers' license so it's inconvenient for him to run errands. He lets utilities get shut off even though he has money in the account. Frankly, I'm sick of cleaning up after him, driving him around, and generally feeling like the mother to a teenaged boy (granted, a teenaged boy who is the household's primary breadwinner.)

When I met Arlo, I was 26, bartending in the Village and working towards my degree. Back then, what I wanted in a partner was a party buddy, but one with a work ethic who could provide well. Now, the fact that all he does is work and get wasted just pisses me off. I'm no angel, but I (almost) always know my limits, and (usually) keep it together in public. Arlo stands around swaying with a big stupid grin, he can't form words, most of the time he's in his grubby clothes from work with his hair a mess, and he wonders why I don't often invite him out with my current batch of party pals.

A portion of my irritation with Arlo has to do with lack of sex. Sure, Arlo could drink/coke/smoke like crazy in his 20's and still get hard, but not now that he's 40. ...I do not feel bonded to him with routine sex just once a month, and half of the time he poops out before orgasm. I beg him to take better care of his body, not just for aesthetic reasons, but because I want him to live a long, healthy life, and I'm sure our sex life would improve. I've been trying to get him to do more physically active stuff with me, with minimal success.

So the big fight: We met up for dinner, he showed up already buzzed, we split a bottle of wine, then he wanted to go to a bar. We had one drink there, then I wanted to go home. He wanted to stay out. He got mad, saying I'm not interested in him. I explained I really wasn't interested in watching him get so wasted he can't talk. I told him to just go out without me, but then I got pissed when he was still out four hours later, and I started blowing up his phone telling him to come home.

He says he's moving out at the end of the week. He often threatens to leave me after we fight, so we'll see. The truth is, I'm wondering if it isn't time for us to call it quits. Then, he can concentrate of his career, get as fucked up as he wants, and seek a partner content to be his housewife. I can find someone who takes better care of themselves, has more of a libido, and is more comfortable with polyamory. Might be a win-win.

Thanks, @JaneQSmythe, I actually enjoy filling out dating site profiles, it's such a great exercise in figuring out what I do and do not want in a relationship.

Love Bunny

Do you think there is any possibility that his behavior that is irritating you so much, all valid things to be irritated about, may be because he has just given up on your marriage. You have committed yourself to polyamory, regardless of the outcome, which you are entitled to do, but from reading what you write he is not and has not been truly on board with it and basically has been sucking it up, and it is depressing him to the extent that he does not care.

You know him better than anyone, but you might be better to let him leave, at least for a while. Maybe if he is not constantly seeing you absorbed in your dating life he might straighten himself out to where you two could reconcile if you want to.

I could be wrong, but it seems you are a committed poly person living with a man who really does not want to be a partner to someone who is going to be dating other men for the rest of his time on this planet. If he thought he could stop it by "performing" better, maybe he wold take care of himself so he could.

You have the stress of it seems like every other week wondering if you guys are going to make it or not, and maybe you might be better off without that stess in your life. It just seems like it is getting toxic.

Good luck

@friskyone4u, I agree. I am not going to argue with him to stay, though it's killing me. I need him to be happy, even if it's not with me. We talked last night. He asked if I thought I could go back to monogamy with him, and my answer is....I could, but for how long? It would always be in the back of my mind. He'd have to find a way to give me all the love, passion, companionship, sex and romance that I crave, indefinitely. I have no reason to believe he's suddenly going to be capable of that.

Nothing will happen right away, financially, we can't afford the rent on the house plus another rent. Plus, we've got a very elderly, handicapped pet who would suffer from a move. Arlo slept on the couch the last few nights. He's talking to his bosses about transferring to another property, maybe in California. He's always wanted to head West. I'm very frightened, sad, angry, but I knew the risks when I started this. Nothing to do but put on my big girl pants and try to make a life for myself that works.

Love Bunny

Just a suggestion. Since you have some time since financially nothing is happening quickly, why don't you tell him that you MIGHT consider going back to monogamy with him WHEN and ONLY WHEN, he shows you by his actions that he can and will make a maximum effort to fulfill your needs, which would include STOPPING all the crap ( booze, drugs, etc) that are making that impossible. Also that he stops all of the other behaviors that are irritating you. In return, you make the effort to step back for a time period from poly relationships that are physical until you can reasonably assess the situation.
If you find you cannot live without having multiple men physically in your life, then at least you know that before he transfers out West where it is a mute point.
You may be happier just letting him go without all the effort. That is obviously your call. Without boring you, my wife and i have gone back and forth from swinging to poly to monogamy multiple times so it can work. We are still married over thirty years.
I guess the answer is just follow your heart, which sometimes differs from your hormones.

I'm feeling a bit more connected to and patient with Arlo, he's been affectionate and open to talking the last several days. He says he wants to be a better husband, and in return, I've been trying not to get upset over undone housework or blow up his phone when he comes home late.

We've had some good discussions about possible paths our future could take. He thinks he might be happier living in a bigger city, and I told him I'd consider it, though I don't like the idea of moving away from my friends/support system while I'm still in the middle of some spiritual mid-life transition. I speculated on the possibility of redefining our relationship, such as trying a long-distance life-partnership, or a part-of-the-year relationship, should we decide we don't want to live in the same place, and if we can realistically work in the travel time. He seemed open to the idea. I was clear that things need to change. He needs to decide if wants to be in this marriage or not, then act like it. As do I.

I was invited to play Cards Against Humanity with some local swingers the other night. They're three couples and one single guy. They were all nice, normal people. In fact, if I didn't know they weren't non-monogamous, I might not think we had anything in common. They weren't my usual bohemian crowd, and several of them were (gasp!) REPUBLICANS! I had fun, though. I didn't feel any sex/love connection with anyone, but I enjoyed the attention I got as potential "new meat." I left as soon as the women started making out and the men whipped out their camera-phones. I did group sex to death in my twenties, plus, I don't use my bisexuality to turn on straight men. It cheapens the female-female connection.

I didn't feel I quite fit in with them, but then, I often feel as though I don't fit in with anyone. Here I am, a bisexual white woman married to a straight Asian man, and I occasionally have sex with a bi-curious black man. My heterosexual girlfriends all do their best to get me, but then they'll go and shove their heads head so far up their men's asses, I know I'm not like them.

Men are great, but I crave the lovetouch of a women so deeply sometimes it hurts. I've thought about just "switching teams" entirely so I can concentrate on finding an attractive woman willing to have a relationship with me, but then, I sure don't dress, talk, or think like the lesbians I know, nor am I attracted to lesbians unless they are firmly of the "lipstick" variety.

I've questioned so many of my labels during this mid-life transition, it's a wonder I even know my real name half the time. For so many years I called myself a writer, and now I find writing just isn't important to me, and I don't do it much, and I don't know how to explain to my friends who live, breathe, and eat art that I just don't think it saves the world. I've shifted my focus to nature. And to my own relationships.

One thing is clear. I cannot go into the second half of my life being as emotionally fragile as I've been. I have always been an HSP, and this is one of the most compelling things about me, and one of the most draining. I've been working hard on trying to rewire my brain, getting more zen, being more grateful and less negative and trusting the flow of connection to other human beings. I can't believe I was ever someone who made fun of self-help books, my younger self would be appalled at how often I read them now.

But boy, do I struggle with feelings of loneliness and not belonging. I often feel like others have been given some superpower I lack which allows them to be able to do things like hold eye contact without feeling utterly exposed. They know how to laugh at a joke that isn't funny or original just because it's a joke, How are people doing that? I notice that many people in this world aren't completely demolished by the rejection or carelessness of another. They aren't as easily soul-sickened by life's horrors.

Still, I'm grieving the death of all these "selves," and it is often exhausting. I drink too much. Sometimes I cry in the shower. I snap at my friends. I try to trust in a benevolent higher power because I know it feels good to do so, but I'm not convinced whatever's out there much cares for our individual lives.

When I look back to the end of 2012/beginning of 2013, I was collapsing inward. I was in serious crises. I briefly went back on antidepressants after 8 years without. For several months now, I've been using St. John's Wort/valerian root supplements instead of drugs, and I feel better. Either that, or all the inner-work I've been doing is kicking in. I feel so much much more balanced and in control, usually.

I question if the act of placing profiles on sex sites looking for lovers outside my marriage denotes extreme crisis, or is there a logic to it in my case, a return to a more authentic, more passionate self?

I love your blog LoveBunny! Thanks for sharing. I feel for you with all the turmoil you are going through, but I think that's not unusual at all for bisexual women like us. Sometimes you want a guy, other times you want a woman, and sometimes you are sure what you want at that time!My quad has it ups and downs, but I am fortunate to have two men and a woman to love me and me them back.
I hope you and Arlo continue to have fruitful discussions about what your future will hold.

Much thanks, @swirlingnurse. The world just isn't set up for people like us, is it? As much as I crave women, I'm not about to resort casual sex with a man watching, nor will I be some bicurious woman's "experiment," or accept anything less than an awesome, fully empowered woman who engages me mind, body, and heart.

Back