Religion, politics, sex .. and other taboo subjects

Bernie Sanders answers his loyal supporters with a strong endorsement of Clinton:

"I understand that many people here in this convention hall and around the country are disappointed about the final results of the nominating process," Sanders said. "I think it's fair to say that no one is more disappointed than I am." But he said his supporters had no choice but to swallow their dismay and take part in the election, given the alternative. "If you don't believe this election is important, if you think you can sit it out, take a moment to think about the Supreme Court justices that Donald Trump would nominate and what that would mean to civil liberties, equal rights and the future of our country," he said.

I often doubted I would see a black president in my lifetime. And I doubted that I would see a major political party nominate a woman for the presidency. Both have now happened. It's important to note this is a big deal. People have fought hard over centuries for this to happen. In fact, it may well be women and minority voters in general who prevent a demagogue from becominf President.

I would have preferred Elizabeth Warren over Hillary Clinton, however I do agree it's a major step forward to have a woman poised to become President.

I am concerned that Bad Things will happen if Trump wins, but I guess we'll see.

I would have preferred Elizabeth Warren over Hillary Clinton, however I do agree it's a major step forward to have a woman poised to become President.

I am concerned that Bad Things will happen if Trump wins, but I guess we'll see.

This is exactly the problem.

Today I saw a thing someone posted on FB, a quote from Obama from 2008 when he ran against Hillary, that said something about her saying a lot of things but changing nothing.

I see her as business as usual, corrupt, lying scummy politician. But I see it as, well, I survived both Bushes, and Clinton, and Obama has done some underhanded things (programs that were supposed to help people, but I think benefited certain business interests more.) I figure she won't start WWIII, and life will go on. I'm disgusted that we can't seem to get anything BETTER than a crappy Establishment puppet into office, but there you go.

Trump, I'm afraid will actually do REALLY BAD STUFF. And you know how there are stand up comedians who say things that people take as "that thing you think, but wouldn't say, but this guy can get away with saying"...and some of it, when you really consider it, is actually awful and obnoxious and gross. And then you look at the audience that LIKES those "honest" words they don't have the cojones to speak aloud themselves and you think, "Really?"

It disgusts me that so many Americans seem to feel that way about Trump. Like, as though everyone thinks those things about minorities and women but no one says it. What? I don't think those things. I find those sentiments repulsive and repugnant. That guy doesn't represent MY voice, that's for sure. And to think that other countries would see us, as the nation who elected him, and think he really represents our opinions, just...no no no...

Hillary doesn't represent me either. But if she wins, I figure we can always say, well, she was poised to steal the election one way or another...or at least she isn't Trump...something like that. The world isn't going to look at us and think we're all THAT horrible and stupid and wretched and egomaniacal. Just the victims of a seriously corrupt process.

Yeah, I don't like how it will look to other countries if Trump wins. (For starters)

I like to think that there is no way Trump could really get elected, but then I once woke from a dream where I was painfully embarrassed that the governor of my state was Arnold Schwartzenegger only to remember that it was true! (ha! sounds like a Ripley's Believe It Or Not).

Leetah

I remember when George W was elected a second time, and there was a website that went around from progressives to the rest of the world saying "We are sorry."

I used to hate W, that stupid idiotic chimp. Trump is so much worse! I didn't think that was possible; and it's so disgusting. He can't even finish a sentence. I watched him speak at his rally today and he was just jumping all over the place, starting to tell a story, then getting distracted after 2 sentences and telling a different story, then getting distracted, and telling another story. It was exhausting. The audience just seemed to be waiting for him to praise himself so they could applaud, or to insult someone so they could jeer, or to attack Hillary so they could chant "lock her up." It was really really fucking weird.

I read recently, whenever we feel offended, we get an endorphin rush in our righteous indignation. I am sure Trump's supporters are living for that hit.

I sometimes watch a couple minutes of Trump just for irritainment so I guess I am guilty of it too. But I can't watch more than 2 minutes of him without getting nauseated. Since I no longer feel righteously offended, I just get grossed out and want to punch him in the face, or worse. Visions of guillotines come to mind, and I change the channel or click away.

I found out from the convention that Hillary has done a lot of behind the scenes work for children's rights. That's pretty damn important work. She also "sweats the details" of anything she is working on. And she was a Senator for 10 years and Secretary of State for 8 years. Bill seems to think, and Obama outright said, she is more qualified for being President than they were. And I liked Bill, and I like Barack and I love Michelle.

And she showed grace under pressure when Bill had his sexual peccadillo back in the 90s (no, that wasn't mentioned at the convention... sometimes I wonder if they are polyamorous and just can't admit it, in their position).

And Chelsea really loves her mom, in a way that Trump's kids do not. And people that know her say she's hilarious in person. Then she told that joke, that in his RNC acceptance speech, "Trump spoke for 70 odd minutes, and I do mean odd."

Also, she gives real hugs. And she listened to Bernie and the people and altered her campaign platform to be more progressive.

I do feel I learned a lot about her this week. And I felt a little bond and a little bit of trust growing. And it was a pleasant surprise, because I was a huge Bernie supporter (Pixi and I donated $90 to his campaign). When Bernie lost the primaries, I thought it was rigged, but I accepted that politics are all rigged, and I was going to give Hillary my "not Trump" vote. But now I almost feel like I am voting for Hillary as Hillary. I can't quite say #I'mwithher though. I am not that enamoured.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't like how it will look to other countries if Trump wins. (For starters)

Think of a bunch of clowns climbing out of a tiny little car with oversized shoes and squirting lapel flowers.:(

I do want to clear up a ridiculous meme, namely "Trump supported homosexuals in his acceptance speech."

No, he did not. I am so TIRED of the whipped Log Cabin dogs making excuses for politicians who'd gladly put ALL the recalcitrant anti-Jesus deviants to the sword.

(If the population really is "10%," then where's that 10% in elected office?)

Unlike most of the gay Trumpinistas, I actually WATCHED the conventions. And what The Donald said was closer to
we're gonna go root out terrorism -- just like George Bush did -- & if a few women & kids get in the way, what the hell, am I right? WE'RE GONNA BE GREAT AGAIN! And you LBGTQ, you people, those crazy towelheads don't like YOUR kind much either, so you're WELCOME, now sit down & shut up & do what you're told.

I hope that you all are aware of a Right Wingnut tactic that -- though a classic of propaganda -- was originally made a key GOP tactic in the 1980s.

Simply: when you're about to do something that would be clearly reprehensible or underhanded, FIRST accuse The Enemy of doing it.

Are you planning to block a piece of legislation, in any way you can think of, simply to marginally weaken next year's re-election chances for a Democrat? First, call him OBSTRUCTIONIST.

Want to avoid even the appearance of compromising, & be willing only to vote as your Central Committee tells you? Call the other side PARTISAN, then refuse to budge.

In this case, when the parents of the previous Republican POTUS have long-standing direct ties to Saudi Arabia, then say Clinton has sold out to the Saudis.

I'd thought this was old news. Go plug george bush family saudi arabia into your favourite browser. As mentioned by one muckraker:
In October 2001, the Treasury Department identified the Muwafaq Foundation, largely endowed by Khalid bin Mahfouz, as an al Qaeda front that had funneled millions of dollars to bin Laden. Some families of the 9/11 victims have named Mahfouz and dozens of prominent Saudis, including members of the royal family, in a lawsuit that accuses the Saudis of funding the 9/11 terrorists. Bush administration officials stated that they would seek to have the suit dismissed or delayed.

Bush Senior struck it rich in oil and in the defense industry. Mahfouz, Prince Bandar and Prince Sultan (Bandar's father) were also heavily invested in the defense industry through their holdings in the Carlyle Group, where Bush Senior served on the board of directors. Founded in 1987 as a private investment group with strong connections to the Republican Party establishment, Carlyle increased its original investment of $130 million to $900 million when it went public in 2001.

Its 550 investors consist of institutions and wealthy individuals from around the world including, until shortly after September 2001, members of the bin Laden family of Saudi Arabia.
The old joke says that "you'll know when a politician is lying to you -- his lips move." Now that we've got this Internets thing, NOBODY has ANY excuse to take ANYTHINg at face value.

For the record: I cannot "vote for Clinton," but I will certainly be voting for the Democratic Party candidates, whoever they may be.

. . . she was poised to steal the election one way or another . . .
Just like Obama stole it from her when he was nominated? I mean, come on, she was told by the party back then: "It isn't your time now, step aside." And she did it with grace.

To call her a "crappy Establishment puppet" is really off-base and disrespectful.

I will never understand the Bernie zealots and their absolute hatred of Hillary. One thing they mentioned in the New York Magazine cover story on her a while back, written by a former detractor of hers, is that she works hard, very very hard, at whatever she does, but that's a tough, unglamorous thing to sell, so people don't see the good she's been doing. She is dedicated and devoted and doesn't back down from the tough stuff.

She will be a hard-working president who isn't afraid to address the issues.

Last edited:
My brother -- who is swaying Trumpinista -- showed me this video. Weirdly, it contained an EXCELLENT poem that said why I fear Trump + GOP Right Wingnut.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrum...em_to_america_fusion/?st=ira9d5fm&sh=ec64648d
If I make (or find) a transcription, I'll gladly post it.

I do NOT fear Clinton... but I do WISH she coulda been more brightly a hope for our future. As is, she's somewhat slightly Rightward of Barry Goldwater, & (as the old Soviet saying has it) "I will trust you... but I will watch you."

And given the alternative, I will vote Democratic -- not for the POTUS itself, but because I fear the alternative, as Sanders has CLEARLY said.

To call her a "crappy Establishment puppet" is really off-base and disrespectful.

No. It is not. It's spot on.

And, yes, she's a better candidate than Trump. She will go on kissing the butts of big money institutions, just like she always has, however. She will not challenge the status quo there. She's definitely not a progressive. "Establishment" is the best single descriptive term for her.

What she says as a candidate is one thing. What she says in her behavior is another.

FTR, I objected mostly to "crappy" and "puppet" than "Establishment" in that description.

Okay. I get it. But for people like me, "crappy" and "establishment" are roughly synonymous.

Not everyone agrees. And, thank heavens, we don't need to all be in agreement. :)

Kissing big money behind, doing the bidding of the powerbrokers, playing the game that politicians usually pay, and riding that big money gravy train, that to me reeks of "puppet."

The fact that I don't expect she'll shake up my reality to the point where I've got to flee for Canada, unlike Trump, and she'll just be another politician doing the politician thing..."more of same"...that's the Establishment thing.

As for crappy...you know, if we had never had a Bernie, I wouldn't feel the need to use that word. But I'll vote for her to keep Trump out, and I'm doing what I've done every goddamn election my entire life, voting for a politician I don't really trust, because I see where their money is coming from, just as a "lesser of two evils." What blows is having someone you could actually SUPPORT, who has done things I really admire and actually stirs some enthusiasm, and watching the media from DAY ONE before he's even got a chance, telling us not to pay attention to him because he doesn't have a chance, and watching story after story and state after state of people who wanted to vote for him but couldn't, because their affiliation mysteriously changed, or because there were fewer polling locations and the line stretched on for hours past closing, or whatever reasons.

I've been hearing Bernie's praises since last year, around late summer/early fall of last year. None of my friends actually SUPPORT Hillary. I couldn't name one. Out of hundreds. A few wingnuts I know (my ex) support Trump. Mostly they are the "I want to watch the world burn, bring on the anarchy" types. All I saw and heard from actual people was, "Bernie, Bernie, Bernie, he's the man, he's our guy, we love him." People sending money to him. Making up clever memes about him. People were, for a change, HAPPY to back a candidate.

So it's that...entirely that...that makes her "crappy." The outcome is crappy, the situation is crappy, and I don't think it was done fairly.

But you know what? I really don't think she cares (if I love her) if I'm still going to go in November and vote for her. What I do NOT understand are the Bernie supporters who would vote Trump...how anyone can support someone so inspirational, and human, and turn around and vote for the Donald...it's beyond me.

Normally too, I think people should vote 3rd party, if they feel that way. Not this year. This year I am desperate to not have Trump as our next President. A fractured populace casting non-Trump votes for a handful of options doesn't strike me as in any way a good thing.

Normally too, I think people should vote 3rd party, if they feel that way. Not this year. This year I am desperate to not have Trump as our next President. A fractured populace casting non-Trump votes for a handful of options doesn't strike me as in any way a good thing.

Yeah, I'm rethinking my vote. My state is almost guaranteed to go red. In my lifetime, the state has voted for a democratic president exactly once and that was after 8 years of a republican in office. In the last century, I can count on one hand the number of times a democratic presidential candidate has won the state and all times have been after 8 or more years of a republican presidency. My vote is unlikely to count so it's a great year to vote 3rd party. Especially since I'm lukewarm about Hillary....and yet, the idea of a Trump presidency is terrifying so I'll probably vote for her anyway.

Yeah, I'm rethinking my vote. My state is almost guaranteed to go red. In my lifetime, the state has voted for a democratic president exactly once and that was after 8 years of a republican in office. In the last century, I can count on one hand the number of times a democratic presidential candidate has won the state and all times have been after 8 or more years of a republican presidency. My vote is unlikely to count so it's a great year to vote 3rd party. Especially since I'm lukewarm about Hillary....and yet, the idea of a Trump presidency is terrifying so I'll probably vote for her anyway.

It's just shocking that any of us have to take Trump's candidacy as a real threat instead of a bad joke. Shocking!

It's just shocking that any of us have to take Trump's candidacy as a real threat instead of a bad joke. Shocking!

I keep hoping I'll wake up and it was all just a bad dream, or one day he'll appear on TV collecting his winnings on a bet, and dropping out of the race.

*sigh* :(

Sometimes I get fussy over the fact that this thread, with its title, seems to default to politics.

So.

Anybody ever buy a rather cool and expensive personal toy and then have it just quit working one day? How frustrating is that? My top two favorites are now malfunctioning and I'm pretty annoyed. Although one of them (wand) is malfunctioning in such a manner that it simply won't turn OFF without a battery being popped out. That outcome could be worse, like the other one (e-stim vibe) that won't even turn on now.

*sigh*

First world problems.

Back