Article on Polyamory in the Washington Post

bumblebee

The Washington Post is a pretty prominent publication, so, it is good to see polyamory represented there. Thank goodness, it's a positive representation!

Thanks for sharing that.

If agree, I thought the same thing about the positive representation. Of course, I have a pro-poly bias, but they came off as a pretty adorable little group there.

My wife (The Signal) sent that article to me and asked me what I thought of it. Admittedly my main thought was "I wish I'd known what polyamory was when I was 24, when I was young like the people in the article and I wasn't weighed down with a career and the requirement to live a mononormative, cookie-cutter lifestyle." I found the people in the article to be rather adorable as well, and I was also pleased to see such a poly-positive article.

Yes, OnceAndFuture, it is easy for me to have a little bit of envy of what is basically described as a youthful polyamourous utopia. Makes me laugh a little wondering if these young sexually charged open hearted cuties even appreciate the treasure of what they have, some of their commentary is so nonchalant. And yet the mere fact that they can be nonchalant about something that felt at times, surely for some of us, like a crusade, is such a wonderful, wonderful sign of progress in the area of acceptance of polyamory.

My young open relationship attempts at expansive love were so clumsy compared to what is described in the article. (And, articles being as they are, their is no way we are being presented with all of the facets of what this group is experiencing. So I am not going to pretend it is truly and constantly utopic. They are a group of humans, after all)

That said, I am at the same time reminded that I am so thankful that I happen to have the incredible experience of existing in a time and place where I have the super delightful ability to choose the option of polyamory in my own life right now, regardless of my age. I think of all the people through out history and even in the world today who have lived or are living their lives in circumstances where they feel that they do not have the right or ability to choose the who or how of their own relationships. It makes me feel angry, heartbroken, indignant . . . so many feelings rush in when I think of this. But, at the same time, I am flooded with an immense appreciation for this life I have the privilege of living. Love is the effing BEST!!!

Back