Poll: "I am non-white"

Are you white?

• Total voters
OMG you are cracking me up. Those numbers are per ethnic group, not percentages of recipients overall.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/11489642/everything_you_think_about_foo.amp

In all of America white people collect more in food stamps than any other race. That's a useful statistic to use against racists who say all SNAP users are lazy minorities who don't want to work BTW.

That's kind of the point. If you were to talk about percentage of recipients overall, of course there would be more white people in SNAP because there are more white people in the country. But when you look at *the proportion* of how many people are on the programme by each race, that's where you see the inequality.

That's what I mean when I say that you're looking at the wrong things.

In all of America, yes there are more white people than any other demographic on food stamps. But when you look at *proportions* you see a very different picture. There is a far larger PROPORTION of POC who require these programmes than white people.

Across America the numbers are:

Black: 27.1%
Other: 23.2%
Hispanic: 20.1%
Mixed: 19.7%
White: 8.5%

One in every four black people require food stamps.
One in every five Hispanic people require food stamps.
One in every twelve white people require food stamps.

If we lived in a society that didn't advantage white people pretty much across the board, these numbers would be more equal. The *proportions* would be more equal.

So yes, there is still a huge disparity. You are MORE LIKELY to require these programmes if you are not white than if you were white. And that's just only one category we can measure this inequality by. Pretty much EVERY OTHER CATEGORY we measure it by follows the same pattern.

And that remains as true in South Florida as it is in the rest of the USA.

Last edited:
That's funny considering you have been trolling me since the first week I came here. You'd be on ignore by now if you weren't a mod.
You overestimate my interest in you; an internet stranger. If you think I have been trolling you, please report it so that the other mods can take a look at your complaint.

That's funny considering you have been trolling me since the first week I came here. You'd be on ignore by now if you weren't a mod.
Curious to see what you could be thinking of, I've taken a couple of minutes out of my afternoon to look at your early posting history. The only threads we seem to have interacted in during your first 2-3 months were OKC advice, in which we disagreed about whether a woman on a dating site is obliged to respond to every message she receives, and not-quite-poly: lovers & friends w/ benefits in which you responded to a math joke straight line. I assume you mean the OKC thread because that's the only one that took place during your first week. Could you point out the trolling please?

A white mod and a white spaminator hijacking a conversation about racism to bicker about some personal BS. How precious.

If i were a mod on this forum you'd both be getting a warning shot to take it outside or else. Do we need Imaginary Illusion to come here and break this up?

That's kind of the point. If you were to talk about percentage of recipients overall, of course there would be more white people in SNAP because there are more white people in the country. But when you look at *the proportion* of how many people are on the programme by each race, that's where you see the inequality.

That's what I mean when I say that you're looking at the wrong things.

In all of America, yes there are more white people than any other demographic on food stamps. But when you look at *proportions* you see a very different picture. There is a far larger PROPORTION of POC who require these programmes than white people.

Across America the numbers are:

Black: 27.1%
Other: 23.2%
Hispanic: 20.1%
Mixed: 19.7%
White: 8.5%

One in every four black people require food stamps.
One in every five Hispanic people require food stamps.
One in every twelve white people require food stamps.

If we lived in a society that didn't advantage white people pretty much across the board, these numbers would be more equal. The *proportions* would be more equal.

So yes, there is still a huge disparity. You are MORE LIKELY to require these programmes if you are not white than if you were white. And that's just only one category we can measure this inequality by. Pretty much EVERY OTHER CATEGORY we measure it by follows the same pattern.

And that remains as true in South Florida as it is in the rest of the USA.

First off, I saw your argument that Hispanics can't be in control because they are on food stamps as a racist argument.

But let's look at why that is here in South Florida. The numbers don't always mean what you think they mean. Here in South Florida the majority of Hispanics are immigrants. Most of these immigrants come here with next to nothing. Yes, that means they require some assistance occasionally. They also take low paying jobs. They are exploited by the "rich", which are both white and Hispanics. It is not the same in other parts of the country due to the white power structure. In other parts of the country these people are kept down. Here they are able to better themselves.

Yes, the school system does put non-English speaking people at a disadvantage. That is being worked on now that Hispanics are in control. However, not all Hispanics are keen on the idea of lowering standards for their children as that can have the unintended consequence of lowering their education. Something still needs to be done. When my father came here at the age of 13, he wasn't just thrown into his age appropriate grade. He went from second to eighth grade in one year. They don't do anything like that here nowadays.

As to the real estate you mentioned. You cherry picked the highest priced real estate. Those are multi million dollar homes owned by rich white people who may or may not visit them once a year. They are certainly not part of the community. Likewise, if a guy like Bill Gates buys a house here and decides he is going to call himself a Floridian, well that is just going to skew those income numbers.

Speaking of skewed numbers, how about Asians? They are a minute percentage of the population yet have the second highest incomes. How does that fit into your equation?

And the argument that white people are not as oppressed as other minorities? This is true. But is that how we are gauging the power structure? Hispanics haven't truly made it unless they are shooting white people in the streets?

A white mod and a white spaminator hijacking a conversation about racism to bicker about some personal BS. How precious.

If i were a mod on this forum you'd both be getting a warning shot to take it outside or else. Do we need Imaginary Illusion to come here and break this up?

The conversation about racism is a hijack as well. The original subject of this thread was diversity. However, sometimes one subject leads to another. A side conversation is not a hijack.

Then again, this thread also cemented my decision to take a break from dating white women. I don't need that power dynamic in intimate partner situations, especially since I have it everywhere else.

I was married to an Asian man, so thought I understood being in an "interracial couple." Sure, I saw how people made assumptions based on his eyes/hair/skin ("Do you know karate?") I understood why he felt the need to affect a certain hyper-masculinity as Asian men are perceived as "feminine." But the world still values men above women, so at least our power dynamic wasn't so inequal.

The racism I saw Asian exhubby take on the chin was NOTHING compared to what I saw during a 2 1/2 year relationship with a (half) black woman.

She had a serious mental illness, which meant dealing with drs, social workers, etc.. I can't tell you how many times their treatment of her became more respectful and thoughtful as soon as I entered the conversation as her advocate and partner, white and college educated and not scared to demand attention.

I remember once a trio of southern-accented women surrounded my exgf and asked if they could please touch her hair (gorgeous curls.) One of them started braying about how she had a black brother-in-law and loved to rub his head. My exgf was so sweet to them, while I got mad and actually pushed one woman's hand off her, snarling "She's not a goat in a petting zoo." I was honestly to shocked to hear this wasn't the first time that happened to her.

She had a million tales of being pulled over by cops or approached by security guards for doing things that I feel I never would have been. She had a fear of authority figures I lack utterly. I think nothing of walking around with weed in my pocket, or of worrying about where my hands are when getting pulled over for blowing a stop sign. I learned a lot from that relationship about white privilege. Yes, it's a thing. Big time.

I find myself reluctant to engage with white straight men lately. The last two I dated just had everything come so easy in their life, they couldn't come out of the shallow end of the pool, ya know? The last guy I dated really tried to be woke, but his life was just so comfy, he couldn't really get it.

Back