Is it just for sex or am I really poly?

Hi. I'm married (almost 18 years in Sept) & we are newbies. Currently we are involved with L whom i have sex with alone (rarely) & as a non-bi three sum with Hub. L is here for the sex only & i have feelings for L besides sexual. All three of us know this is short-term & hope to remain friends. L does feel something but in the long-term he is basically mono (well he thinks he is). :rolleyes:

In the meantime, both hubby & i have profiles on okcupid (okc). We have no set expectation of how a poly relationship with another will evolve whether its a triad, quad or a V (for each of us). As what appears to be typical for men & women, i get messages 99% & hub 1% of the time. I'd say hub feels some envy. ;)

What we are not agreeing on is he thinks i just want to have sex & am not actually poly :(. I disagree and believe my intentions are to meet someone, if i like that person, yes i will have sex with them (fwb to start), but i feel if the fwb continues & grows that the fwb could become a long-term relationship. I have so much love in me & have been in love with both hub & a past bf that i know in my heart i am not looking for just sex. I'm looking for what will evolve into a new relationship. My okc profile is very adamant about being poly and that I am not looking for casual sex.

How, in discussions with hub, do i get him to realize that my ability to meet someone off-line is impossible & that starting off as a fwb is a possible way for me to meet another potential poly-mate? I'm a sahm who has a very limited social life.

Later this month i will be meeting FB (potential new bf/fwb). FB is married (12 years) & in love with one other woman (he doesn't know what to think of his own situation). FB & I both agree love comes down the road & neither of us want a one night stand. Actually I might meet him this monday for coffee, but not sure yet. Since FB messaged me on okc we've been getting to know each other. Discovering we have same tastes in music, that my favorite band is his (which surprises him {Primus} prob cause not many woman in this area even know who they are). I keeping "wow"ing him and he me.

Is this potential new FB just a casual opportunity and I'm not really poly or am I doing this the best way I can, under the circumstances, to meet someone to share my love with?

I know it appears to Hub that I'm just going to go from one guy to the next but that is so not my intention. It's not like I get much freedom to just go out and meet someone. Hub works strange shifts so I'm with the kids most of the time, doing the kid thing and taking care of our home.

I've been looking at posts and have read a few that are close but not quite the same. Any advice of how to get both hub and I do understand how actually dating happens would be great.

And if this is all over the place in thoughts, so sorry, I think circularly.

Hi and welcome ,

Your title asks the question only you can answer.

Why don't you have sex with L alone ....if it was all about sex ?

You want advice on how to get hubs to see dating is going to be great ?

Advice for hubs

You want advice on how to get hubs to see dating is going to be great ?

DINGEDHEART - I have already answered my question & I am poly. So I do need advice on getting hubs to see dating is going to be great.

Last night he came home from work (he's a chef) telling me about a co-worker who appears to like him. I'm so happy he has an interest in someone. I just don't have that option on meeting either men or women.

With L Alone

Why don't you have sex with L alone ....if it was all about sex ??

I have been with L alone, once, & it was just as amazing as when L & hub share me in the same moment. L lives a 1/2 hour away & can rarely have me at his place so he comes to ours. Gas gets expensive.

The one time I did go to L's, stayed there for just over 5 hours, but late at night, our 2 y.o. woke. Hub said it was hard to get her back to sleep since I normally breastfeed her when she wakes. I think on that one visit for hub he was dealing with jealousy & envy issues so he was trying to guilt me for falling asleep at L's.

Hub is getting more accepting of the changes we both are & will continue to face in this lifestyle.

I guess I am confused. What does hubs think you should be doing instead? I agree as a sahm, your opportunity to meet others the more traditional way is limited.

I guess I am confused. What does hubs think you should be doing instead? I agree as a sahm, your opportunity to meet others the more traditional way is limited.

Well this morning he was very upset. He's now feeling dejected, thinks he'll never be able to meet another person because he's married and how could a single or other married woman want to be involved with a married man. Yes he's working a lot and doesn't have time to go out. Yet he flirts with all the female co-workers, he's even kissed one but she's way too young so he feels she is off limits. Then he starts getting a crush on another. He's driving me nuts :eek:.

I'm starting to think he's more mono than poly or if he is poly he's feeling a huge amount of envy at the fact I can find a guy with a snap of my fingers. Jealousy that he has to work harder at it. I also think that if he has a huge amount of insecurities that have always been there since before we married.

I've got quite the headache today from the emotional roller coaster that he gives to me each day. Upset in the morning, feeling better mid-day, totally gung ho when he gets home. Is this normal for one partner to feel these things when starting out in the poly world?

It's funny because he's the one who suggested and now he's the one having resistance to it. He loves sharing me sexually (as long as he can be there) but I've discovered he is not ready to share me emotionally. How do I help him overcome that insecurity? It doesn't matter how much I show/tell him I love him and I would never end us because I feel for another, he's still fearful that we will divorce one day.:(

He loves sharing me sexually (as long as he can be there) but I've discovered he is not ready to share me emotionally.

This sentence makes it sound like he's really not into poly (having multiple relationships) and would be better with swinging (and the type of swinging where each couple is in the same room) or just threesomes and orgies.

If this isn't what you want then you guys will have to decide what to do.

Would he consider posting to the group? Sometimes, it can be helpful to express those insecure thought and feelings to a more objective group than one's spouse. And, there is a wide variety of experience here. Many here have gone through the process of fighting their own demons.

This sentence makes it sound like he's really not into poly (having multiple relationships) and would be better with swinging (and the type of swinging where each couple is in the same room) or just threesomes and orgies.

If this isn't what you want then you guys will have to decide what to do.

I am poly & he realizes that to ask me to change is not going to make either of us happy. We are discussing it. I truly feel he is poly but needs to figure some of this out on his own. Last winter he had a girlfriend whom he felt love for. The g/f couldn't accept he loved me at the same time.

Would he consider posting to the group? Sometimes, it can be helpful to express those insecure thought and feelings to a more objective group than one's spouse. And, there is a wide variety of experience here. Many here have gone through the process of fighting their own demons.

I will suggest it. I think that is a good step for him. He needs objectivity which I try my best at providing but is impossible to do.

UPDATE: he said he'd get an account on here after work. I've been here a few days and it's really helped me just from reading other posts.

Thank you all who have commented. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
I will suggest it. I think that is a good step for him. He needs objectivity which I try my best at providing but is impossible to do.

UPDATE: he said he'd get an account on here after work. I've been here a few days and it's really helped me just from reading other posts.

Thank you all who have commented. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Excellent! It is not just a matter of how objective (or not) the spouse is - it is hearing different experiences and points of view til things start to click. One can be totally objective, but it is impossible to catalog all the knowledge. :p

My first thought upon reading the title was "Why does it matter?" When I saw that you had answered the question for yourself and trying to change your husband's mind, I'm not sure my reaction changes.

If your goal is to convince your husband that you can love another person without falling out of love with your husband, then just go ahead and do it. No hypothetical argument is as convincing as evidence and reality. It doesn't sound like he's trying to stop you from dating, so just go with that and let the chips fall where they may.

So I do need advice on getting hubs to see dating is going to be great.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. You can't really convince anyone that the future will be one way or another, because no one ever really knows until it's the past. Barring, of course, psychic powers of prediction, in which case can you give me some good stock tips for next year?

I'm starting to think he's more mono than poly

It sounds like you're doing exactly the same thing he is: trying to decide for him whether he's poly or not. Perhaps if you both spent more time listening to the beliefs and feelings of the other and less time deciding what the other is or is not, you could move past this roadblock.

Is this normal for one partner to feel these things when starting out in the poly world?

I love that line from Forrest Gump... "What does normal mean, anyway?"

But yes, it's pretty common for people to be all over the place minute-to-minute as they begin exploring the world of nonmonogamy.

It's funny because he's the one who suggested and now he's the one having resistance to it.

Also surprisingly common. People don't always think through the fact that opening doors means anyone can walk through them.

He loves sharing me sexually (as long as he can be there) but I've discovered he is not ready to share me emotionally.

I personally try to avoid possessive language like "sharing me." To me, it implies that he owns you and he's allowing you to do this or that. You own you, and only you get to share you.

If your goal is to convince your husband that you can love another person without falling out of love with your husband, then just go ahead and do it. No hypothetical argument is as convincing as evidence and reality.

The bold above is so true. I could argue it and argue but until I fall in love and still love him, I'll turn blue in the face trying to convince him verbally.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. You can't really convince anyone that the future will be one way or another, because no one ever really knows until it's the past. Barring, of course, psychic powers of prediction, in which case can you give me some good stock tips for next year?

I wish I was psychic, but I find when I don't listen to my instincts, I regret it later. And that is true as well, trying to convince anyone of the future. I do know after almost 18 years of marriage he and I have gone through a few separations (more than 3) & moments of not being in love with each other. And today, here we are still loving each other & communicating the best we ever have due to each of us discovering more about ourselves individually. I feel like I will still love him as much as now if I fall in love with another. I've been there before in our past, I just didn't know it was polyamory those many years ago.

It sounds like you're doing exactly the same thing he is: trying to decide for him whether he's poly or not. Perhaps if you both spent more time listening to the beliefs and feelings of the other and less time deciding what the other is or is not, you could move past this roadblock.

The funny thing is, I don't want to decide for him if he is poly or not. He has to do that for himself. I do want him to discover more about polyamory, discuss with a forum what he is feeling and just be open to the concept. If it isn't right for him; then we should discuss how to be mono with a poly, if it is a workable lifestyle.

I love that line from Forrest Gump... "What does normal mean, anyway?"

But yes, it's pretty common for people to be all over the place minute-to-minute as they begin exploring the world of nonmonogamy. Also surprisingly common. People don't always think through the fact that opening doors means anyone can walk through them.

Good point to remember as we start this journey.

I personally try to avoid possessive language like "sharing me." To me, it implies that he owns you and he's allowing you to do this or that. You own you, and only you get to share you.

Funny thing about this is, I asked him today if he really loved me or does he feel like he owns me? I pointed out that loving me doesn't mean I am his possession (I feel like I am one at times). That love is unconditional.

Those above are issues, he and I, need to resolve, individually and together. We spoke briefly (he's working) and will talk tonight when he gets home.

Thank you for your input. I'm realizing more about myself with each comment.

Last edited:
Hi :)

What strikes me after reading your thread is that hubby is basically feeling envy and also feeling like things are out of control. Both entirely normal feelings when one is new to poly (or even when one isn't).

I also think that what you are going through is the 'normal' response to suddenly having a world of men at your fingertips. It's exciting. You're getting lots of messages. It's all fresh and new. Of course you want to date - and probably keep dating until you find someone you really click with. As you say, it won't go from one email to love. It can't even be pushed in that direction. Connections will be as they will be.

When hubby is saying "you're acting like you just want to sleep around" what he's really saying is "I'm uncomfortable/envious about the amount of attention you are getting" and "I'm uncomfortable about the idea of you going on lots of dates."

My GF and I have been together for just over two years and poly from the start. When we both started really dating others, she was at it like a bull at a gate. We laugh about it now and, understandably, it still irks her a little bit that I call it her Dating Mania phase. She went on something like seven dates in five weeks and there were men coming at her (perhaps pun intended, perhaps not) left right and centre. It felt like she was constantly talking to men, at all hours of the day, and that her head, heart and whatever else was fully engaged in that.

For me, it just felt out of control. Every time I turned around, there was a new man on the go; some new entity to 'get used to'. I also struggled with my own moral/biographical differences, because I've always had long term relationships and very few sexual partners, whilst she has always been... well, what's the word? Promiscuous I suppose. I don't like that word. But oh well, it's the only one I can come up with.

Nowadays, I accept her for who she is. If she's lucky enough to find men attractive and therefore falls into the pool of getting lots of attention (unlike, say, your hubby and myself who are interested in women; and women more rarely make the first move) then I am very happy for her.

I'll be really interested to read your husband's posts, if he does decide to come onto to forum.

Overall, I'd say that perhaps there needs to be less emphasis on what the end goal is, even though it's good to have a common one in mind. Perhaps the issues, as you are discovering, are coming from the here and now. Perhaps there is a lack of agreement between you two about being poly in general? Or about what this entails? Perhaps there are expectations that are unrealistic, unfair, or not being met? Perhaps there needs to be more communication in the here and now? For example, perhaps your husband needs to know that you want to date and that you would actually be happy to date many, be happy to stay casual or develop further, or whatever it is that you are feeling. Perhaps he feels that you are saying one thing, but doing another? That's what it actually sounds like to me.

Hi :)

What strikes me after reading your thread is that hubby is basically feeling envy and also feeling like things are out of control. Both entirely normal feelings when one is new to poly (or even when one isn't).

He says it is envy.

There is also fear that he'll loose me in the end. He says that is what is consuming him the most. A fear that I'll meet someone who really isn't into poly, but because I fall in love with this person, this new guy would convince me to go back to mono and leave him.

Another situation where I could try to convince him as much as I could but until we are there, he will never know if this fear is a reality. And I could never be mono again.

I also think that what you are going through is the 'normal' response to suddenly having a world of men at your fingertips. It's exciting. You're getting lots of messages. It's all fresh and new. Of course you want to date - and probably keep dating until you find someone you really click with. As you say, it won't go from one email to love. It can't even be pushed in that direction. Connections will be as they will be.

I tell him I can't control who contacts me & I think he realizes that. I rarely send a message to a guy. I've done one but all this guy wants is to have sex, so I'm not meeting him.

When hubby is saying "you're acting like you just want to sleep around" what he's really saying is "I'm uncomfortable/envious about the amount of attention you are getting" and "I'm uncomfortable about the idea of you going on lots of dates."

Like I said above, it's what will happen in the end he is fearful of. He sort of has a doomsday perspective about us (not sure why, we've made it this long together and I don't daydream about not being with him when I'm too old for sex).

He read poly hell last night and realized he has separation anxiety issues. A story his mother loves telling everyone about is when he was about two weeks old, she went into the bank, set him on a chair, finished up her business and walked out, without getting her baby. I think parents sometimes don't realize what they do to their children by recounting a tale that seems funny but actually has devastating emotional impact.

My GF and I have been together for just over two years and poly from the start. When we both started really dating others, she was at it like a bull at a gate. We laugh about it now and, understandably, it still irks her a little bit that I call it her Dating Mania phase. She went on something like seven dates in five weeks and there were men coming at her (perhaps pun intended, perhaps not) left right and centre. It felt like she was constantly talking to men, at all hours of the day, and that her head, heart and whatever else was fully engaged in that.

I am trying my best to limit my interaction with other men. When hub is home, it's all about him. I ignore texts, emails, okc messages so my focus is on him. I'm trying to set boundaries for myself so I'm not intruding on his time with me.

But when he's at work (jealousy maybe) he's thinking about how I have free time to contact other men and that I'm not thinking about him. I do think about him but he's working, so he doesn't reply back to me immediately. And I'm raising our kids and watching other kids so I'm not always on my cell.

For me, it just felt out of control. Every time I turned around, there was a new man on the go; some new entity to 'get used to'. I also struggled with my own moral/biographical differences, because I've always had long term relationships and very few sexual partners, whilst she has always been... well, what's the word? Promiscuous I suppose. I don't like that word. But oh well, it's the only one I can come up with.

I'd say he is much like you. I was "promiscuous" in both high school & college. He has had very few sexual partners. It sounds like your gf and I are a lot alike.

Nowadays, I accept her for who she is. If she's lucky enough to find men attractive and therefore falls into the pool of getting lots of attention (unlike, say, your hubby and myself who are interested in women; and women more rarely make the first move) then I am very happy for her.

I hope he does come to accept me for me and finds happiness in my joy.

I'll be really interested to read your husband's posts, if he does decide to come onto to forum.

I gave him the link to the forum and suggested he sign up. We agreed to not get upset with each other's posts here; otherwise we'll be in a bigger poly hell.

Overall, I'd say that perhaps there needs to be less emphasis on what the end goal is, even though it's good to have a common one in mind. Perhaps the issues, as you are discovering, are coming from the here and now. Perhaps there is a lack of agreement between you two about being poly in general? Or about what this entails? Perhaps there are expectations that are unrealistic, unfair, or not being met? Perhaps there needs to be more communication in the here and now? For example, perhaps your husband needs to know that you want to date and that you would actually be happy to date many, be happy to stay casual or develop further, or whatever it is that you are feeling. Perhaps he feels that you are saying one thing, but doing another? That's what it actually sounds like to me.

We are working on it. My end goal is another lover, only one, not two or three. He and I would like a unicorn as well, but men are more my focus at this stage in my life.

I wish I was psychic, but I find when I don't listen to my instincts, I regret it later.

I completely agree. It took me a long time to learn to trust my gut, but I did finally get it through my head that sometimes my intuition knows things my conscious can't agree with. I can't remember ever trusting my gut and regretting it, and I can count dozens of times where listening to my brain instead of my instincts has gotten me in all kinds of trouble.

The funny thing is, I don't want to decide for him if he is poly or not. He has to do that for himself. I do want him to discover more about polyamory, discuss with a forum what he is feeling and just be open to the concept. If it isn't right for him; then we should discuss how to be mono with a poly, if it is a workable lifestyle.

Realistically, he may be "neither." Many people go in and out of phases all through their lives. There may be times when he feels capable of loving multiple people, and times when he just wants you.

Whether he's poly or mono isn't as important as what behaviours you choose and how he chooses to respond to those behaviours. Even if he discovers that he is polyamory, it really won't make it one iota easier for him to deal with any emotions that come up. It may even make it harder.

I'm trying to learn to stop wanting things for other people. They have to come into them on their own terms. While I love education and always support people trying to learn as much as they can about a thing, you really can't force people to inform themselves. Letting him choose whether or not to learn about polyamory is one way of respecting his autonomy.

Funny thing about this is, I asked him today if he really loved me or does he feel like he owns me? I pointed out that loving me doesn't mean I am his possession (I feel like I am one at times). That love is unconditional.

My, what a difficult question! I mean, obviously there's only one "acceptable" answer... Who, in this culture, is ever going to admit that they believe they own their spouse?

Some love is unconditional. Most is not. Everyone has their breaking point.

Update - guilt projection

Late last night, more it was really early this morning, we had a late night of fun, he tells me he had sex a couple times with his co-worker. The roller coaster of emotions he has been projecting at me have been caused because of guilt. We are definitely moving forward in a good direction.

I was not angry, very happy for him that he is finding others who find him attractive, but did let him know it was not fair how he could not be honest with me & instead made me feel bad that I am poly. This was a good conversation.

I am also letting him be aware of my boundaries. I do want to know who he is seeing but going into details about physical aspects I am personally not into hearing. I have my own insecurities about baby scars & i know he loves me & my body. I am just not ready to hear about physical perfectness of a woman many years younger than me (does that mske sense)?

It's his day off today so we're relaxing & cuddling.

Thank you everyone for helping me get through these last few days. Today is good, tomorrow could go either way, but I am so happy I can evolve personally & look forward to what life has to offer.

Late last night, more it was really early this morning, we had a late night of fun, he tells me he had sex a couple times with his co-worker. The roller coaster of emotions he has been projecting at me have been caused because of guilt. We are definitely moving forward in a good direction.

I was not angry, very happy for him that he is finding others who find him attractive, but did let him know it was not fair how he could not be honest with me & instead made me feel bad that I am poly. This was a good conversation.

I am also letting him be aware of my boundaries. I do want to know who he is seeing but going into details about physical aspects I am personally not into hearing. I have my own insecurities about baby scars & i know he loves me & my body. I am just not ready to hear about physical perfectness of a woman many years younger than me (does that mske sense)?

It's his day off today so we're relaxing & cuddling.

Thank you everyone for helping me get through these last few days. Today is good, tomorrow could go either way, but I am so happy I can evolve personally & look forward to what life has to offer.

Does sound like some awesome communication! It was wonderful you could handle his confession with such objectivity and support. Unfortunately, many people are emotionally conditioned to behave with an exclusive mono mindset, even when they *know* that is not what poly is about. So he had sex, he told you and he gets to see that the world did not come to the end. :)

Unpopular opinion follows

How, in discussions with hub, do i get him to realize that my ability to meet someone off-line is impossible & that starting off as a fwb is a possible way for me to meet another potential poly-mate? I'm a sahm who has a very limited social life.

I was a sahm for years. Now I am a part time student.
But-at no point in time did I ever have an issue meeting people in real life. In fact, I don't understand how you even come to the conclusion its impossible.

As for the rest-it's all personal preference and many here have issue with my view on this-but as far as I am concerned-once you add sex to the equation-the probability of building a healthy long term relationship (if you haven't already managed to address that) is reduced exponentially.

NRE is a bullshit excuse for rushing the relationship train to the bedroom.

I was clear as day with my SO's. If they choose to fuck before a friendship is established between ALL OF US and the other party-that person won't ever be a part of our family dynamic. Period.
They are free to fuck whoever they want-they can have fwb with whomever they want. But those people aren't welcome to participate in our family dynamic.
If they want someone to have the opportunty of being a part of OUR family dynamic-they can table sex until we have established a functional friendship with them as a family.
(and no-we don't date together-we all have very different tastes in lovers)

I am also letting him be aware of my boundaries. I do want to know who he is seeing but going into details about physical aspects I am personally not into hearing.

It's good that he confessed and that the conversation was productive. However, have you thought about the woman he fucked? Was there honesty all around? Does she know he is married? If so, does she know his wife consents to a non-monogamous arrangement? It's important, if he is going to continue fucking and seeing her, that she not be deceived into thinking she could eventually be his "one and only."

Back