Polyamory as a modality for spiritual growth

Polyamory as a modality for spiritual g

Good to know that pleasure can only be derived from pain.

Quite the sadistic universe, isnt it?

Not necessary, Ravenscroft. Not cool.

Linafox has a point worth considering about the sadistic nature of the universe, particularly when considered in conjunction with a post from Spork on her own blog about what it is to master the pain as a masochist.

The human existence almost universally has pain and suffering involved. This often feels like the result of a good hard whack by the universe. To process that whack rather than running away from the pain or calling red is a very real part of the spiritual journey if one chooses to see it as such.

Pagans say 'as above, so below'. Alchemists know the source of that, and the rest of it. The S/M scene might be considered a microcosmic expression of a macrocosmic phenomenon.

From an alchemical perspective, the journey to enlightenment is a process of divide, purify, recombine. That which is been through this process is now in the Q state. This is a difficult thing to achieve, and when the base metal is a human being (a human mind) it can be very painful for that mind to be transmuted and simply won't happen without certain criteria being met. And that might be a whack or two from the universe.

Well, too, I find it interesting to consider the nature of pain and the nature of suffering.

I embrace pain.

I reject suffering.

Even when I experience pain, I do not necessarily suffer...

It's a matter of semantics perhaps, but my perception of suffering is a matter of a negative headspace. When my fling flaked out on me and I curled up in bed with my phone wishing he would call, I was suffering. When one is existing in a negative place, where joy is not, there is suffering.

I can certainly understand that people struggle with depression, with circumstance, with a hundred reasons that they might experience suffering. But I do not agree with any dogma that places excessive emphasis upon it.

In fact, it's one of the big reasons I reject most organized religions. There is this notion that suffering is noble and embracing and seeking joy is selfish, hedonistic, and essentially WRONG. That the more you suffer in this life, the greater the rewards in the next. Personally, I think that is meant to be a balm to those who toil in poverty and hardship, and frankly a means of control. For who among the elite wishes for the lower classes to really improve their lot in this life? Then who would do all of the hard labor? And (horrors!) they might expect a fair shake of the resources!

But enough of that... I choose to embrace joy whenever possible, and it's usually possible for me. I'm grateful for my joy and I don't take it for granted. And even in pain, I derive joy. I simply do not see the point in choosing to suffer, if one can do otherwise.

I agree.

In my perception, suffering is caused by the meaning we add to the pain, the stories we tell ourselves about it. The "negative headspace."

The alchemical path is designed and structured to avoid this. In fact, when someone is likely to get trapped in the suffering, their process will be terminated before getting near this point.

When we can recognise the pain for what it is (say, an opportunity to master ourselves through it), we alleviate or avoid the suffering because we don't layer the negative meaning onto it. Why the hell would I want to by into a dogma that tells me I *should* suffer? Lol. That, to me, is misguided and not productive. It is a lot harder to choose a positive headspace when in pain, but doable. And the rewards are immediate and tangible.

What does it mean when a person in spiritual teams is complete. I would like a clearly definition of what stage a person is on when he/she is considered to be complete.
I know what the word means but not in a spiritual sense what have one achieved to be complete?

Yours

A Peaceful Mind

Back