Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 07-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Back in the '80s and '90s, I owned and studied quite a lot of books on astrology and learned the basics of how to do charts. I also had my chart done professionally by someone rather highly respected in NYC astrology circles, but I don't put much stock in it anymore. The majority of it is open to interpretation, heavily depends on knowing exact birth times, and I've gotten away from categorizing others the way I used to. Plus, in general, we are so susceptible to suggestion that a focus on things like astrology, enneagrams, Myers-Briggs, and other systems of categorization can get in the way of seeing things clearly (although I think a lot about Love Languages makes sense if not taken too literally).

That being said, a lot of what I learned, read, and experienced when I was very devoted to leearning astrology is still in my head, and my views/general perceptions of the signs are quite different from yours. And keep in mind that the outer planets supposedly influence us a great deal, much more than is often acknowledged.

You might enjoy this old thread: Astrological Compatibility
Hefe has a saying, that he repeats every time I bring up the subject:

"I'm a Taurus. We don't believe in Astrology."

He also likes to say, "You know how to tell if your house is haunted? It's not."

I just find it neat and interesting. I do NOT consider it infallible. Except in the case of Libras, and my avoidance of them, which isn't about astrology being infallible, it's about pretty much anything that remind me too much of Old Wolf, I shy away from. That dude gave me all kinds of "nope" triggers.

Analyst, Fire & Hefe My poly quad from August 2015 to July 2016. Still dear & loved friends.

Blood:
Ninja- 19, Son
Q- 17, Son

Old Wolf- Ex Husband
Old 07-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Banned

Common wisdom -- well, as much as either word can be applied to astrology anyway -- has it that fire signs simply DO NOT get along, & moreso that any two Leos will jockey for centre stage.

Yet almost half my lovers have been fire signs; seems like it's the airs I've got in the most trouple with.

I can't say that I believe in astrology, especially at the lowest (Sun sign) level. Like, while I can see when one's birth (or, some say, conception) at a certain time of year might indeed influence ones approach to life & learning thereafter, does anyone really believe that the difference of a day or three leads to drastic differences?

My brother's late July (Cancerian), I'm mid-August, & you'd be surprised how alike we are though we rarely even stayed in touch for more than 20 years. When we started comparing musical tastes a few years ago, it turned out that we were liking the same bands at the same time.

Anyway, in the greater scheme of things, I know for a fact that I often do really well when Mars goes retrograde, while many people around me are having problems. Not superstition, just post hoc observation.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post
Like, while I can see when one's birth (or, some say, conception) at a certain time of year might indeed influence ones approach to life & learning thereafter, does anyone really believe that the difference of a day or three leads to drastic differences?
Well, the idea is that a few days before or after means your planets are not only in different positions, but also trining and squaring others in different ways, for all kinds of results.

One of the reasons I don't believe in astrology anymore is that, while I acknowledge that the moon and planetary bodies influence the water on earth and in our bodies by their gravitational pulls, I realized that all the meanings attributed to the planets were at some point simply made up. It all looks organized and methodical with the math and degrees and all that, but it's basically started from something very arbitrary, even with all these experts now writing books about new methods.

Serious astrology enthusiasts will say, "Oh, no, of course it's not arbitrary! These traits and concepts have been calculated and proven by astrologers for a very, very long time!" But seriously! One day, several millennia ago, somebody looked around and said, "Hey, what if each planet was associated with an element? Ok, let's make this planet Air. Hey, you were born when a planet associated with Air was high in the heavens (from our view of the night sky), so now you are an Air sign - cool! So... let's see, what is air like? Hmmm... quick, restless, unpredictable - that's you, LOL! Ok... yeah, let's come up with some others!" Just because it was a long time ago and written down on some scroll by someone considered wise, and was eventually considered "sacred," doesn't mean they knew what they were talking about, and doesn't mean their handy little categories could assess and predict behaviors and natures of all of humanity, until the end of time.

People are complex and they like to complicate things. Same thing with tarot. People get so zealous about studying the symbols, reading up on the history of how the Rider-Waite deck was created, the philosophies of the Order of the Golden Dawn, Aleister Crowley, and so on, but somewhere in time somebody just decided to associate something with a symbol - but how can that symbol actually mean the same thing universally for everyone? We let ourselves get brainwashed.

"Oh yes, this means that and that means this," but what does it mean to you? See, I think people forget that tarot and symbology and horoscopes, etc., are all just tools to stimulate the unconscious reservoir of knowledge we all have - it's called intuition - and then they rely and depend on the symbols and categories too much, when they would do better to be present and trust their intuitive knowing. If your gut tells you to avoid someone, trust your gut and avoid that person - but don't say it was because they're a particular sun sign and all the people from your past who have been that sign have fucked you over. That's just silly.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 07-17-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:28 PM

I just happen to be a classic Leo. Punk is Pisces, and he's pretty classic too... sensitive, emotional, musical, and giving to the point of martyrdom (seen with his slavish devotion to his narcissistic mother). I just go to websites to see how I am supposed to match up with people. I see that Pisces and Leo are supposed to be terrible mates, but we get along fine. I also see that, as Leos, Pixi and I should be constantly battling for position, but that is not the case either!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 63)
Pixi (poly, F, 41) my nesting partner since January 2009
Master, (mono, M, 37), Pixi's bf since April 2013
BigGuy (poly, M, married, 43, dating me since June 2018)
Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 AM

I have Sun, Moon, Rising and Mercury in Aries.
Saturn in Leo and Neptune in Sagittarius, creating grand trines with Sun and Mercury.

Sometimes I think my motto is, "get out of my way."

Problem is, I don't actually know where I'm going most of the time lol.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:45 PM

Honestly, the descriptions of all the signs could be applied to me, depending the the day and circumstance. I'm supposed to be a sun sign Aquarius, moon sign Leo, and rising Scorpio- for what that's worth- but when I read any sign description I recognize parts of myself.

I think astrology, and other personality "pigeon holes" can be a helpful tool in self-recognition. While I don't think that the time of your birth has much to do with anything, I think reading about personality traits and reflecting on how they influence your life is nothing but a good thing.

I think of it like this: no one should make major decisions based on a coin toss. However, I find that if you are really and truly stuck on an issue, assigning Solution A = Heads, Solution B = Tails, and giving it a toss can help. Not by directing which action to take, but by reflecting on your emotional response to the toss. If you are bitterly disappointed that the coin ended up Heads, well, you probably have some thinking to do. Similarly, when I read personality type descriptions, I don't see them as being a direct reflection of me, but as a way to gauge what I may need to think on. If I read that Aquarius are "unemotional" and have a deep disgust response, well, then I should probably reflect on that a bit.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:59 PM

*raises hand sheepishly* ... stubborn goat here

but I happen to be a skeptic with astrology despite its description fitting me. there's just no science behind it whatsoever. even enneagram (which has spiritual roots) has been intertwined with westernized psychology in depth so has its merits .. but astrology ? It's just such a leap of faith. plus, haven't the planets changed making it all a bit moot ?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemenC View Post
*raises hand sheepishly* ... stubborn goat here

but I happen to be a skeptic with astrology despite its description fitting me. there's just no science behind it whatsoever. even enneagram (which has spiritual roots) has been intertwined with westernized psychology in depth so has its merits .. but astrology ? It's just such a leap of faith. plus, haven't the planets changed making it all a bit moot ?
I know, I know, I know.

And I want to dismiss it all as a lot of stuff and nonsense, too. Yes.

BUT. I...don't...? Because, I don't know, it's just a made up logic framework. Maybe it just helps me think.

Because I like analogies and symbols and metaphors and flowery language and assigning people to "elements" and thinking of them in those terms feels right to me.

So I'll reject things like, "You're <sign> which means that you're tall and thin, and like oak trees and amethysts and identify with sparrows, and you'll go really far in your career but probably cheat on your spouse. Or none of those things! Because other planets, whee! Watch for arthritis and never date a Pisces on a Tuesday." What??

But thinking of it as, "You're an earth sign. You're earthy. Rocks, nurturing soil, support and solidity." When half a dozen people independently have called me, "A Rock" (referring to my resolve or even temper) or "well grounded" (Really dude?)

It just fits.

And Hefe is just as solid as I am, and also has the trait of sometimes trying really hard to be interesting because we kind of think deep down that maybe we're rather boring and no one really wants us. Are we clumps of dirt trying rather hard to be diamonds, perhaps, the both of us? Showing off our sparkle and hoping no one will realize that well, at the end of the day, we're just rocks. We also VERY often have the exact same thought at the exact same time. It's only a question of who verbalizes it first. And we tend to invest rather a lot of confidence in our own opinions and positions, and be generally calm and rational. I'm a Capricorn and he's a Taurus.

So I can't and/or won't take the descriptions that are given at simple face value, as I have my own opinions that I have overwritten the signs with. For me it's more a question of, "How do earth, fire, air, and water people interact with me?" But it could also be said that this slightly egotistical approach as well as the dismissal of a given idea set or modification and then adherence to my OWN system or method...is exactly what a Capricorn would do.

Analyst, Fire & Hefe My poly quad from August 2015 to July 2016. Still dear & loved friends.

Blood:
Ninja- 19, Son
Q- 17, Son

Old Wolf- Ex Husband
Old 10-19-2016, 04:07 AM

How many believe in astrology? I sometimes I feel it is true but sometimes it is not.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLiza View Post
How many believe in astrology? I sometimes I feel it is true but sometimes it is not.
I feel the same way.

Mostly I look at it as fun and interesting. And don't worry if it's real or true.

Blood:
Ninja- 19, Son
Q- 17, Son

Old Wolf- Ex Husband