Astrology

Spork

I wanna talk about it!!

I know lots of people think it's a bunch of baloney. I don't blame you, because it seems like superstitious nonsense to me if I think about it in a certain light.

I've had to ponder WHY I like astrology. Because I do. I think it's because I like organizing ideas and using symbols and categories and sets of concepts to understand my world and think about people. There are limits to how much belief I'll place in it, and I can't imagine getting SO into it that I'd buy books or learn to chart or pay someone to do my readings or charting or whatever.

I did have a friend who was into doing charts and she did mine. It jived with my own view of myself pretty damn well. I know that most of everything I've ever read about Capricorns feels very true about me, and what I have read or know about other signs does NOT resonate. My moon is in Cancer, and I've got Sagittarius rising.

But...(true to form for my Cappie-ness) I have formed my own opinions about at least one sign that has repeatedly come into my life, and it goes contrary to what I've read about them, but every one I've known well has been this way so I've decided that I'm right and I just go with it. It's a Cappie thing to be kind of a know-it-all like this.

So here is, based on people I know (and I know a lot of people) my opinion on various signs. Because I am bored right now and I feel like sharing it.

Aries are supposed to be the infants of the Zodiac, basically somewhat immature in addition to being warlike. While I'll admit they do have anger issues, I've found I get on with them really well if we're cracking jokes. It's a guarantee when I meet an Aries, that they will LOVE my snarky sense of humor. I've found that they have a serious need to be good and right. If they make a mistake or do something wrong, they beat the crap out of themselves over it. And they tend to form strong romantic attachments that they want to be permanent...but often it doesn't work out (because of the anger issues?) and when it ends, they're broken about it for quite a while.

Taurus I've found to be stubborn, cynical, and occasionally judgmental. Not like they intend to be mean about it, but in just a matter of fact sort of way. They seem to feel they've got a really strong handle on the Way Things Are, and they'd be happy to tell you about it. Some of it is realistic...some maybe a little harsh for my liking. Earth, earth, earth. Solid and well matched with more volatile signs because they ground 'em out. Hefe is a Taurus and he and I both being earthy as we are, I feel like we sometimes GET one another in some pretty neat ways.

Gemini... I've only known a couple very well. Things they had in common... Really drastic and instantaneous mood shifts, truly like they had more than one personality in there that could turn on a dime. And a bizarre need to be in control of a conversation. I've watched a Gemini basically inform an entire room that we would no longer be discussing that particular topic, and put an instant and undisputed stop to it. I've also noticed that they sometimes can justify taking advantage of others, sometimes in really extreme ways, and see nothing whatsoever wrong with what they are doing.

Cancer I LOVE (but then, I love love love water signs anyhow.) They always think I'm really cool! They seem to really want to hear all of my stories, and they feed me validation and I feel so nurtured with them. But I find that Cancer, like Scorpio, in my experience get very focused on one other person at a time. If a Cancer who is my best friend gets in a serious loving relationship, I have to be prepared to lose the friendship, maybe not hear from them for years or ever, even if we used to talk every day. I've learned not to take this personally.

Leo, I can't speak to because I haven't known any well enough.

Virgo, I have a lot of fun with. They are usually the friend who breaks the rules. Since I'm a risk averse and cautious Capricorn, on my own I won't break rules, but Virgo is the perfect person to nudge me into being brave and taking risk. They have a freespirited energy that I find rejuvenating, but they often give wayyy too much of themselves to doing what others seem to expect of them, often putting themselves last. They overcommit their time and resources, and then seem surprised when they don't have enough to give. Virgo needs to learn to stand up for themselves and say "no" once in a while instead of always saying "yes" and then flaking out later.

Libras. I cannot stand them. What I've read is that they are these charismatic and lovable characters who flirt with the world and always find the spotlight...life of the party types. My experience has been that they will latch on and demand to be the center of the universe and everyone's attention. I've known many Libra who were narcissists, of the most unpleasant variety. They are deeply insecure and need constant emotional validation and maintenance. And if they don't get what they demand, they are very sour grapes about the whole thing. "Fine! I didn't want your attentions anyways, I am fine on my own!" No, you're not. Could be that Libra and me is just a terrible combination, maybe they are better for other people. Old Wolf is a Libra, as are several other people I know. I feel so strongly about them that I'd actually reject a potential date just for finding out that they are a Libra. Like, nope, I don't even want the two of us to get to know each other now. Sorry. Good luck. Go away.

Scorpio scare me, but we get along well. I bond well with water signs anyhow. Like Cancer, I see them as devoted partners who do best with one other person in their lives at a given time to whom they devote tremendous energy and focus. The difference is, when things go wrong, a Cancer will go cry about it and a Scorpio will get revenge. I've seen Scorps perpetrate some of the most shocking acts of violence that I have ever witnessed...the wild thing is, they GET AWAY WITH IT! My Mom is a Scorpio.

Sagittarius, my lovely fiery Fire is a Sagittarius, and it is my ascending. I think it's why I come off as exciting and fun when people first meet me, but I feel like a rather boring person underneath that. She on the other hand really is exciting and fun...and mercurial and engaging... But I hesitate to say too much because she is the only Sagittarius I have ever known very well.

I'm a Capricorn, and I am ambitious, risk averse, cautious, somewhat materialistic and very concerned with prestige. I play a long, long game. I'm a skilled manager and administrator. I'm endlessly patient and usually very practical. Some people think that I am cold and reserved. I would agree that I can be. I've found that we're also very methodical. Like the Cap approach to a problem is to create our own whole system for doing it, and then behave as though it's the most brilliant solution ever and follow it for the rest of all time. We feel slightly superior to others, and don't expect them to live up to our standards. Which leads to a big fault of ours, because we are natural leaders...we hate to delegate. It's really hard. We're pretty sure you're gonna mess up whatever we've trusted you to handle, and we feel a need to check and make sure it's done to our specifications. But our methods aren't arbitrary. Ask, we'll explain, there's a totally logical reason behind whatever system we've created.

Aquarius, used to be one of the signs I didn't know well enough to speak to, but in recent years, one after another has come into my life. I have learned the hard way that I probably ought to just give up when it comes to air signs. Either they drive me nuts or we just can't connect, they are always challenging for me. Aquarius seems confused, and not sure what the heck they want, they speak as though they know, but then they demonstrate otherwise. Get all passionate talking about something and then turn around and dive headfirst into the opposite of that, leaving me scratching my head and completely confused. I feel they have a hard time really engaging with me emotionally, too. But also, they seem really lucky and rather charming.

Last but not least, Pisces...Zen is the second Pisces I have come to know, and now that I think about it... In both cases I was not completely won over at first sight, but upon getting to know these two people and explore the depths of their character, I got incredibly close to them both. What deep people with such fascinating interests and personality facets! They like me and I like them, but unlike the other water signs I feel that they are better at being social than Cancer or Scorpio.

To come to even more basic symbology, I can sum up how I feel about signs based on elements.

Earth: Basic and sensual, appreciative of fine quality, tend to be rather stubborn. I think sometimes we have too much of a tendency to nurse unspoken resentments. We aren't necessarily confrontational...more like quietly stubborn.

Air: Flighty, contradictory and confusing. Smart! But there's a certain thing of processing people as IDEAS and not as PEOPLE there. I find it incredibly hard to do relationships with air signs. It's like we connect, but only to a point and no further.

Fire: Passionate and exciting! Funny! But also rather moody. Can be destructive when their emotions get control of their actions, and usually regret it deeply once the conflagration has burned itself out.

Water: My emotional self is water-ish, and I fall in love with water signs whether as best friends or...in Zen's case...lovers. I love their approach to sex. I love how appreciated and nurtured they make me feel. Some of my favorite people ever have been water signs.

I did my chart and my friend's and it's pretty spot on for both of us. I'm a libra sun, virgo moon, and cancer rising and she is an a Aquarius sun, Sagittarius moon, and Pisces rising.

my favorite signs are Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries, Gemini, and Leo for both friendship and romance.

I love this site http://astrology-numerology.com/sun-moon.html

My 11 year is a double Gemini and it totally makes sense why he is how he is.

My ex is a triple Libra, and oddly he bears no resemblance to any description I've ever read about Libra anywhere. Including that site you linked.

But there will always be bizarre outliers perhaps...?

Mine was spot on.

Scorpio here. You've been warned ... :cool:

Scorpio here. You've been warned ... :cool:

Now, now. You and I could probably have a great conversation, and you'd probably give me very interesting advice. Just warn me if you get angry at someone, so I can get out of the blast radius, huh?

:p

There was a point in my life where I was *very* into astrology.

For the record, I'm Cancer with Cancer Ascendent and either a Cancer or Leo moon (I remember calculating it and having it come out Triple C; if I look now it comes out Moon in Leo). I'm not nearly as much of a homebody as that would indicate, though.

Anyway, Knight is Capricorn with Cancer rising; Artist is Cancer with Cancer Rising. So there's something to the compatibility there, perhaps...?

I'm a Leo, miss pixi is a Leo, my ex husband is a Leo, and my son is a Leo. Rawr. I am a classic Leo, look up the qualities, I've got all of them. A leader, supportive, generous, too much hair on my head. lol Optimistic, opinionated, straightforward, loyal. I love to love, and be loved and admired. I'm like a cat, I can be really lazy, and then spring into an energetic project and give it my all. When I lead, I don't want to do all the work, I like to delegate to people as their skills present them able to do important work.

My younger daughter is a classic Aries. "Ready, fire, aim!" is her way of going.

Back in the '80s and '90s, I owned and studied quite a lot of books on astrology and learned the basics of how to do charts. I also had my chart done professionally by someone rather highly respected in NYC astrology circles, but I don't put much stock in it anymore. The majority of it is open to interpretation, heavily depends on knowing exact birth times, and I've gotten away from categorizing others the way I used to. Plus, in general, we are so susceptible to suggestion that a focus on things like astrology, enneagrams, Myers-Briggs, and other systems of categorization can get in the way of seeing things clearly (although I think a lot about Love Languages makes sense if not taken too literally).

That being said, a lot of what I learned, read, and experienced when I was very devoted to leearning astrology is still in my head, and my views/general perceptions of the signs are quite different from yours. And keep in mind that the outer planets supposedly influence us a great deal, much more than is often acknowledged.

You might enjoy this old thread: Astrological Compatibility

Last edited:
And keep in mind that the outer planets supposedly influence us a great deal, much more than is often acknowledged.

Ha, given that literally everything in my life, except being married, changed in six months *right* at my Saturn return, I *definitely* acknowledge it. :D

Back in the '80s and '90s, I owned and studied quite a lot of books on astrology and learned the basics of how to do charts. I also had my chart done professionally by someone rather highly respected in NYC astrology circles, but I don't put much stock in it anymore. The majority of it is open to interpretation, heavily depends on knowing exact birth times, and I've gotten away from categorizing others the way I used to. Plus, in general, we are so susceptible to suggestion that a focus on things like astrology, enneagrams, Myers-Briggs, and other systems of categorization can get in the way of seeing things clearly (although I think a lot about Love Languages makes sense if not taken too literally).

That being said, a lot of what I learned, read, and experienced when I was very devoted to leearning astrology is still in my head, and my views/general perceptions of the signs are quite different from yours. And keep in mind that the outer planets supposedly influence us a great deal, much more than is often acknowledged.

You might enjoy this old thread: Astrological Compatibility

Hefe has a saying, that he repeats every time I bring up the subject:

"I'm a Taurus. We don't believe in Astrology."

He also likes to say, "You know how to tell if your house is haunted? It's not."

:p

I just find it neat and interesting. I do NOT consider it infallible. Except in the case of Libras, and my avoidance of them, which isn't about astrology being infallible, it's about pretty much anything that remind me too much of Old Wolf, I shy away from. That dude gave me all kinds of "nope" triggers.

Common wisdom -- well, as much as either word can be applied to astrology anyway ;) -- has it that fire signs simply DO NOT get along, & moreso that any two Leos will jockey for centre stage.

Yet almost half my lovers have been fire signs; seems like it's the airs I've got in the most trouple with.

I can't say that I believe in astrology, especially at the lowest (Sun sign) level. Like, while I can see when one's birth (or, some say, conception) at a certain time of year might indeed influence ones approach to life & learning thereafter, does anyone really believe that the difference of a day or three leads to drastic differences?

My brother's late July (Cancerian), I'm mid-August, & you'd be surprised how alike we are though we rarely even stayed in touch for more than 20 years. When we started comparing musical tastes a few years ago, it turned out that we were liking the same bands at the same time.

Anyway, in the greater scheme of things, I know for a fact that I often do really well when Mars goes retrograde, while many people around me are having problems. Not superstition, just post hoc observation.

Like, while I can see when one's birth (or, some say, conception) at a certain time of year might indeed influence ones approach to life & learning thereafter, does anyone really believe that the difference of a day or three leads to drastic differences?
Well, the idea is that a few days before or after means your planets are not only in different positions, but also trining and squaring others in different ways, for all kinds of results.

One of the reasons I don't believe in astrology anymore is that, while I acknowledge that the moon and planetary bodies influence the water on earth and in our bodies by their gravitational pulls, I realized that all the meanings attributed to the planets were at some point simply made up. It all looks organized and methodical with the math and degrees and all that, but it's basically started from something very arbitrary, even with all these experts now writing books about new methods.

Serious astrology enthusiasts will say, "Oh, no, of course it's not arbitrary! These traits and concepts have been calculated and proven by astrologers for a very, very long time!" But seriously! One day, several millennia ago, somebody looked around and said, "Hey, what if each planet was associated with an element? Ok, let's make this planet Air. Hey, you were born when a planet associated with Air was high in the heavens (from our view of the night sky), so now you are an Air sign - cool! So... let's see, what is air like? Hmmm... quick, restless, unpredictable - that's you, LOL! Ok... yeah, let's come up with some others!" Just because it was a long time ago and written down on some scroll by someone considered wise, and was eventually considered "sacred," doesn't mean they knew what they were talking about, and doesn't mean their handy little categories could assess and predict behaviors and natures of all of humanity, until the end of time.

People are complex and they like to complicate things. Same thing with tarot. People get so zealous about studying the symbols, reading up on the history of how the Rider-Waite deck was created, the philosophies of the Order of the Golden Dawn, Aleister Crowley, and so on, but somewhere in time somebody just decided to associate something with a symbol - but how can that symbol actually mean the same thing universally for everyone? We let ourselves get brainwashed.

"Oh yes, this means that and that means this," but what does it mean to you? See, I think people forget that tarot and symbology and horoscopes, etc., are all just tools to stimulate the unconscious reservoir of knowledge we all have - it's called intuition - and then they rely and depend on the symbols and categories too much, when they would do better to be present and trust their intuitive knowing. If your gut tells you to avoid someone, trust your gut and avoid that person - but don't say it was because they're a particular sun sign and all the people from your past who have been that sign have fucked you over. That's just silly.

Last edited:
I just happen to be a classic Leo. Punk is Pisces, and he's pretty classic too... sensitive, emotional, musical, and giving to the point of martyrdom (seen with his slavish devotion to his narcissistic mother). I just go to websites to see how I am supposed to match up with people. I see that Pisces and Leo are supposed to be terrible mates, but we get along fine. I also see that, as Leos, Pixi and I should be constantly battling for position, but that is not the case either!

I have Sun, Moon, Rising and Mercury in Aries.
Saturn in Leo and Neptune in Sagittarius, creating grand trines with Sun and Mercury.

Sometimes I think my motto is, "get out of my way."

Problem is, I don't actually know where I'm going most of the time lol.

Honestly, the descriptions of all the signs could be applied to me, depending the the day and circumstance. I'm supposed to be a sun sign Aquarius, moon sign Leo, and rising Scorpio- for what that's worth- but when I read any sign description I recognize parts of myself.

I think astrology, and other personality "pigeon holes" can be a helpful tool in self-recognition. While I don't think that the time of your birth has much to do with anything, I think reading about personality traits and reflecting on how they influence your life is nothing but a good thing.

I think of it like this: no one should make major decisions based on a coin toss. However, I find that if you are really and truly stuck on an issue, assigning Solution A = Heads, Solution B = Tails, and giving it a toss can help. Not by directing which action to take, but by reflecting on your emotional response to the toss. If you are bitterly disappointed that the coin ended up Heads, well, you probably have some thinking to do. Similarly, when I read personality type descriptions, I don't see them as being a direct reflection of me, but as a way to gauge what I may need to think on. If I read that Aquarius are "unemotional" and have a deep disgust response, well, then I should probably reflect on that a bit.

*raises hand sheepishly* ... stubborn goat here :p:eek:

but I happen to be a skeptic with astrology despite its description fitting me. there's just no science behind it whatsoever. even enneagram (which has spiritual roots) has been intertwined with westernized psychology in depth so has its merits .. but astrology ? It's just such a leap of faith. plus, haven't the planets changed making it all a bit moot ?

*raises hand sheepishly* ... stubborn goat here :p:eek:

but I happen to be a skeptic with astrology despite its description fitting me. there's just no science behind it whatsoever. even enneagram (which has spiritual roots) has been intertwined with westernized psychology in depth so has its merits .. but astrology ? It's just such a leap of faith. plus, haven't the planets changed making it all a bit moot ?

I know, I know, I know.

And I want to dismiss it all as a lot of stuff and nonsense, too. Yes.

BUT. I...don't...? Because, I don't know, it's just a made up logic framework. Maybe it just helps me think.

Because I like analogies and symbols and metaphors and flowery language and assigning people to "elements" and thinking of them in those terms feels right to me.

So I'll reject things like, "You're <sign> which means that you're tall and thin, and like oak trees and amethysts and identify with sparrows, and you'll go really far in your career but probably cheat on your spouse. Or none of those things! Because other planets, whee! Watch for arthritis and never date a Pisces on a Tuesday." What??

But thinking of it as, "You're an earth sign. You're earthy. Rocks, nurturing soil, support and solidity." When half a dozen people independently have called me, "A Rock" (referring to my resolve or even temper) or "well grounded" (Really dude?)

It just fits.

And Hefe is just as solid as I am, and also has the trait of sometimes trying really hard to be interesting because we kind of think deep down that maybe we're rather boring and no one really wants us. Are we clumps of dirt trying rather hard to be diamonds, perhaps, the both of us? Showing off our sparkle and hoping no one will realize that well, at the end of the day, we're just rocks. We also VERY often have the exact same thought at the exact same time. It's only a question of who verbalizes it first. And we tend to invest rather a lot of confidence in our own opinions and positions, and be generally calm and rational. I'm a Capricorn and he's a Taurus.

So I can't and/or won't take the descriptions that are given at simple face value, as I have my own opinions that I have overwritten the signs with. For me it's more a question of, "How do earth, fire, air, and water people interact with me?" But it could also be said that this slightly egotistical approach as well as the dismissal of a given idea set or modification and then adherence to my OWN system or method...is exactly what a Capricorn would do.

How many believe in astrology? I sometimes I feel it is true but sometimes it is not.

I feel the same way.

Mostly I look at it as fun and interesting. And don't worry if it's real or true.

Back