Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 08-22-2017, 12:45 AM

Default our poly roots

I figured I'd launch a "miscellanea" thread.

When I first set out to create some replicable model for open nonmonogamy, I was very familiar with all the literature -- well, such as it was in the early '80s -- on non-monogamous sexuality, but a key point avoided by almost all the studies & articles was how the heck are you supposed to meet like-minded people?

At the same time, I was a fairly new Wiccan (~two years), had been attending fan-run science-fiction conventions about as long, & was new to the whole Renaissance Faire thing. There was a LOT of nonmonogamy happening there; sure, some looked more like middle-class suburban "cocktail party" groping & quickies, but there were also a lot of people who were completely open about demonstrating affection to multiple others -- no theory, no philosophy other than "it feels right." They inspired me.

So, for the scrapbook, here's three old photos from various World Science Fiction Convention (a.k.a Worldcon) costume competitions.

1971: "Strider, Goldberry, Tom Bombadil and Frodo". In the center is, of course, Julie Carter, whom so many of you know well.

source

1972: "Cernunnos & Ceridwen." On the right, Julie Carter-Zell.

source

1974: Tim Zell as "Peter Stag," and Morning Glory Zell as "High Priestess of the Goddess Coulmbia".

source

You might now recognize Tim in the first two.

(Coincidentally, I lived for a bit over a year with the sister of the guy who took the last two photos. He's still married to author Pamela Dean. Fandom can be a REALLY small world sometimes. )
Old 08-22-2017, 02:34 AM

Huh. I was going to expand from conventions those photos made me think of. Back in the '90s, being "poly" &/or "bi" was a really trendy thing in the Twin Cities sf/f community, & amidst a lot of chaff were some really great moments, & lots of people loudly proud of their new "style."

I left Minneapolis in 2000, apparently at the peak. Sometime over the past decade, most of the people I'd love to name-drop here have quietly removed blog entries, articles, photos, etc., where they baldly proclaimed their beliefs. I getthe feeling I'd now be intruding on their privacy to put in any "remember when...?" moments.

Bums me out a little. Like a piece of my life evaporated, & I hadn't even noticed.

Last edited by Ravenscroft; 08-22-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:12 PM

These pix are all of early poly celebrities? Do you have any pix of yourself at sci fi or Wiccan cons or celebrations?

I hate when people get old and more conservative and lose interest in poly or BDSM or hippy ideals, or whatever, or turn Republican! Argh!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 62)
Pixie (poly, F, 40) together since 2009
My bf Kahlo (single, poly-friendly, M, 45) since August 2017
Seeing Rick and Glori (MF partnered, both 33 and poly) since September 2017
Master, (mono, M, 36), Pixie's bf for 3+ years