Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyNatural View Post
If you just gotta have a church, the obvious place to start is: Church Of All Worlds
Nah; nonsense. That's just Neopagan stuff that is nowhere near mainstream.

If hewing toward Xtiman ideals is ideal, then stick with Unitarian.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post
Nah; nonsense. That's just Neopagan stuff that is nowhere near mainstream.

If hewing toward Xtiman ideals is ideal, then stick with Unitarian.

The Church of All Worlds is where the word Polyamory is widely credited to have come into existence, and they welcome those of Abrahamic faith. In contrast, the "mainstream" or Abrahamic religions are the ones that have traditionally pushed monogamy ( despite some of the biblical stories ). But there are other alternatives if you prefer a patriarchal religion based on fables and myths where non-monogamy was common, such as Nordic mythology. Not sure where you can go to worship Thor though. Why bother with religion at all is what I wonder.

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Hemmingway | Introduction To Polyamory
Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Token UU here! Join our cult!

Personally, I've found that I like the community a religious community offers and am active in both the local UU and pagan communities, which have been very accepting of my polyamorous lifestyle.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The Church of All Worlds
I have to confess that I have a special fondness in my heart for the CAW - just because they adopted the name from Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land", which remains one of my very favorite novels of any genre to this day (it's been with me since I was ten). And I am also aware that the term polyamory is often associated with the CAW - which is an interesting point for our group. And I certainly have no objections to Paganism - I have a number of Pagan friends with whom I have some very interesting conversations.

The purpose of the post, however, was to present options for those individuals who specifically identify as Christians and have a preference for attending a Christian or a "Christian-style" (as in UU) church. Hopefully, it may prove helpful for some to whom that is important.

There are many other options for those who self identify differently and pursue other paths. Just a matter of preference. Some people prefer chocolate, some prefer poly.... etc....

Al
Bouncingbetty: ldr girlfriend to Al99, poly, bisexual female, early 30's
Ben: Becky's medium-ldr bf, heterosexual male, 40's

My Introductory Post - An Unexpected Introduction to Poly.

Last edited by Al99; 10-23-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al99 View Post
I have to confess that I have a special fondness in my heart for the CAW - just because they adopted the name from Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land", which remains one of my very favorite novels of any genre to this day (it's been with me since I was ten). And I am also aware that the term polyamory is often associated with the CAW - which is an interesting point for our group. And I certainly have no objections to Paganism - I have a number of Pagan friends with whom I have some very interesting conversations.

The purpose of the post, however, was to present options for those individuals who specifically identify as Christians and have a preference for attending a Christian or a "Christian-style" (as in UU) church. Hopefully, it may prove helpful for some to whom that is important.

There are many other options for those who self identify differently and pursue other paths. Just a matter of preference. Some people prefer chocolate, some prefer poly.... etc....

Al
Fair enough. If I keep going I'll just end up steering the discussion into the question of why bother with religion in the first place, let alone mythical superheroes like Jesus, and that's not what the thread's for. But for what it's worth, if Jesus was real, I think he'd be poly but repress it because he seemed to have this thing for suffering ... lol.

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Hemmingway | Introduction To Polyamory