Poly-Friendly Pagans?

Hi there Evie! I'm just glad you're there. I would say I lean towards native American spirituality in that I believe in spirit and nature as a universal power kind of thing. I do spells and meditation. Right now learning more about chakras. I also work with the tarot, but they are the animal version. Have you looked into astrology? I have a co-worker who does that. I didn't really think much of it until I looked at the employee board showing birthdays and realized that a group of people I knew at work had similar personalities, all with the same sign. I thought I better study this! Never enough time in the day!

Think I might be a little Pagan. I'm a pantheist, with an interest in spirituality, astrology and theosophy (mainly Itchasakti).
There are some reoccurring placements and aspects in astrology that lean towards open/poly relationships.

Astrology is one of the three disciplines in hermeticism, but I'm not that disciplined...

You might be like, hermet-what? But that's where your very familiar "as above, so below" originated. Except that's a contraction. The whole phrase is "That which is above is from that which is below, and that which is below is from that which is above, [for] working the miracles of one [thing]" and is just a part of the Emerald Tablet (just a wikipedia link). Combine this understanding with the kabbalistic notion of Jacob's ladder, and you end up with a much more powerful understanding of cause and effect on different planes and what is (probably) actually happening when you light that candle or whatever spell work you choose.

As for astrology, there is certainly so much more than the sun sign (what most would call the star sign) that makes up the personality. For example, I have Venus in Taurus (astrologers go "a ha") even though I am Aries Sun, Moon, Mercury and Ascendant (astrologers go "woah").

For tarot, other than the Waite-Smith deck, I use the Shadowscapes deck a la my profile pic.

I know that I need to be meditating. I used to to great effect, but such great effect that I really actually need a teacher to help me through it. I much prefer guided meditations, even if that guide is something I've read before going into trance.

Chakra work is fun and powerful. Although I've done my own work on this, it still sometimes sneaks up and surprises me. Like when I briefly did yoga in my last town. One day, the teacher was doing the guided meditation (at the end) and it was a really classic journey "up" the chakras - like, you're walking in an underground cave/tunnel and you come to a passage filled with rubies, red garnets, carnelian, red tourmaline etc. You select a piece from the side and pick it up, polish it and place it in the middle of the tunnel. Next up, amber, citrine etc. You get the idea. Now I wasn't really feeling it so I rather went through the motions in my mind not even feeling like I was particularly deep in trance. Well. Silly me lol. I got to the amethyst and placed it in the middle of the tunnel and kablooie. It was like I'd unlocked a door and suddenly I was flying through the universe. Nothing to note after that, I just got to float around in the big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff for a while and it was super relaxing.

So, does poly fit with this for me? Yes, and no. Sometimes I really do think that if I devoted myself to the spiritual practices that I get the most out of (including certain sexual practices) then I would have to really focus on working with one partner. On the other hand, I am deeply enriched as a human being by all my connections and there are definitely spiritual elements to my two primary ones.

Last edited:
Astrology is one of the three disciplines in hermeticism, but I'm not that disciplined...

You might be like, hermet-what? But that's where your very familiar "as above, so below" originated. Except that's a contraction. The whole phrase is "That which is above is from that which is below, and that which is below is from that which is above, [for] working the miracles of one [thing]" and is just a part of the Emerald Tablet (just a wikipedia link). Combine this understanding with the kabbalistic notion of Jacob's ladder, and you end up with a much more powerful understanding of cause and effect on different planes and what is (probably) actually happening when you light that candle or whatever spell work you choose.

As for astrology, there is certainly so much more than the sun sign (what most would call the star sign) that makes up the personality. For example, I have Venus in Taurus (astrologers go "a ha") even though I am Aries Sun, Moon, Mercury and Ascendant (astrologers go "woah").

For tarot, other than the Waite-Smith deck, I use the Shadowscapes deck a la my profile pic.

I know that I need to be meditating. I used to to great effect, but such great effect that I really actually need a teacher to help me through it. I much prefer guided meditations, even if that guide is something I've read before going into trance.

Chakra work is fun and powerful. Although I've done my own work on this, it still sometimes sneaks up and surprises me. Like when I briefly did yoga in my last town. One day, the teacher was doing the guided meditation (at the end) and it was a really classic journey "up" the chakras - like, you're walking in an underground cave/tunnel and you come to a passage filled with rubies, red garnets, carnelian, red tourmaline etc. You select a piece from the side and pick it up, polish it and place it in the middle of the tunnel. Next up, amber, citrine etc. You get the idea. Now I wasn't really feeling it so I rather went through the motions in my mind not even feeling like I was particularly deep in trance. Well. Silly me lol. I got to the amethyst and placed it in the middle of the tunnel and kablooie. It was like I'd unlocked a door and suddenly I was flying through the universe. Nothing to note after that, I just got to float around in the big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff for a while and it was super relaxing.

So, does poly fit with this for me? Yes, and no. Sometimes I really do think that if I devoted myself to the spiritual practices that I get the most out of (including certain sexual practices) then I would have to really focus on working with one partner. On the other hand, I am deeply enriched as a human being by all my connections and there are definitely spiritual elements to my two primary ones.
Oh Evie I have to look into that! I want to feel a kablooie! Any suggestions on going through the chakras? Links? I suppose I could create my own recording like self-hypnosis. That may be better?

I ID as pagan, but of no particular kind. I am NOT drawn to Native American or Norse, although I am taking an interest in Pacific Island indigenous myth quite a bit the last couple of years (so sadly smashed by forced Christian "conversions"). However, I try to stick with my Celtic roots, and ancient gnostic Mediterranean myths/practices, since I am Northern European by descent. I avoided seeking the ancient roots of Christianity until I'd explored Wicca for a decade, since it all seemed so bogus when I was raised as a Christian as a kid.

Currently I am delving into the work of Dr Richard Carrier and his recently published peer-reviewed book On the Historicity of Jesus. It's very fascinating. He has a lot of his debates and presentations on YouTube as well. My interests lie in ancient religions of that area: Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian, Persian, Canaanite, Hebrew, Greek (Platonic) and Roman, which all led to the unfortunate world-domination of Christianity. I really tend to look for female divinities in ancient religions, since they have been so downplayed since the patriarchy took hold about 2500 years ago. I am also interested in "mystery religions."

Last edited:
Oh Evie I have to look into that! I want to feel a kablooie! Any suggestions on going through the chakras? Links? I suppose I could create my own recording like self-hypnosis. That may be better?
Sorry, I don't have any links to chakra meditations. Recording one yourself wouldn't be a bad idea, just remember to include something at the end to bring you back.

I ID as pagan, but of no particular kind. I am NOT drawn to Native American or Norse, although I am taking an interest in Pacific Island indigenous myth quite a bit the last couple of years (so sadly smashed by forced Christian "conversions"). However, I try to stick with my Celtic roots, and ancient gnostic Mediterranean myths/practices, since I am Northern European by descent. I avoided seeking the ancient roots of Christianity until I'd explored Wicca for a decade, since it all seemed so bogus when I was raised as a Christian as a kid.

Currently I am delving into the work of Dr Richard Carrier and his recently published peer-reviewed book On the Historicity of Jesus. It's very fascinating. He has a lot of his debates and presentations on YouTube as well. My interests lie in ancient religions of that area: Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian, Persian, Canaanite, Hebrew, Greek (Platonic) and Roman, which all led to the unfortunate world-domination of Christianity. I really tend to look for female divinities in ancient religions, since they have been so downplayed since the patriarchy took hold about 2500 years ago. I am also interested in "mystery religions."
Hi there Magdlyn!

I also tried Wiccan for awhile, but for me, it felt like I was trading in gods. (I was raised a Catholic) It just didn't work for me. I find I collect a mishmash of ideas from different religions or cultures. Cultural anthropology and world religions were some of my favorite classes. (Along with philosophy, the class that made me question the butter I was putting on the bread.)

I keep thinking about the similarity between Pagan and Poly. Some of the books I've been reading mention the relationship. Is it that foundation of wanting to break away from the forcefed culture and wanting to think for ourselves in what we feel will make us happy? I caught myself going by the book on what I've been reading about Polyamory and seeing that the definition given, isn't a complete match for me and that I have to find my own way.

I know, I got off track of Paganism.....or did I?

What do you mean, in Wicca you felt you were "trading in gods"?

I love the natural seasonal base of Wicca. The obvious fact that Christianity co-opted Ostara, Samhain and Yule, making them into their own holidays somehow, and took pagan gods and made them Christian saints, makes me glad to celebrate those holidays in their closer-to-original honest form.

I also love the balance of male and female deities. All-male god-based religions bore the hell out of me and make me angry besides. I love to tear away the mask of Christianity and expose its patriarchal male-centric power grab roots. The same goes for Judaism and Islam, of course.

I've just started reading a book on gnosticism. At first I was pretty comfortable with the basics as they even reference Hermetic, Christian and Kabbalistic concepts I was familiar with, but the mythology is incredibly elaborate with a complex cosmogony. But then I'm not far through that first book, which is an exposition rather than a doctrine.

@Emmjay how did finding or creating a meditation go?

I've just started reading a book on gnosticism. At first I was pretty comfortable with the basics as they even reference Hermetic, Christian and Kabbalistic concepts I was familiar with, but the mythology is incredibly elaborate with a complex cosmogony. But then I'm not far through that first book, which is an exposition rather than a doctrine.

Just so you know, not all gnostic beliefs are that complicated! It was very popular in the early centuries CE to write "gospels" with all kind of ideas about dying and rising gods (Christ in this case) and new takes on the creation myth, Seth, the roles of Judas and Mary Magdalene, often setting them on their heads, e.g., making the serpent in Eden a representative of the spirit and one who helped Eve and Adam to even have spirits, representing Yahweh as an ignorant lower god with delusions of grandeur, or making Judas the one (male) apostle who really knew why Christ was here, and was given the important role of marking Christ for crucifixion, so that he could fulfill his role, etc., etc.

I've spent 20 years studying it. Just take it all with a grain of salt. My main takeaway is that gnosticism has more in common with Buddhism, and less with "orthodox" Christianity, which gives regular humans more ownership of their own spirituality. There are no "gatekeeping" priests in gnosticism, just increasing levels of depth of direct knowledge of the spirit (ie., gnosis).

Well, not so well. Meditation is best for me at night. I've been brain fried and find myself falling asleep while sitting in front of my altar. I will rectify tonight. Lately it's just been working on breathing and centering and THAT hasn't gone so well. I'm highly sensitive to scent and sound and invested in some oils to work with Chakras. I also found this book that I'm jumping up and down about called Becoming Supernatural and I think it has its own kind of magic. Reminds me I need to get the CDs for meditation. I do well with guided. Thanks for asking Evie! Anything new you are putting into practice?

Hailsa Everyone! This is mostly just a curiosity question . . .

My husband and I are new to Poly-Love and it is my understanding that he and I are the only couple in our local Pagan group that embraces this form of love. Now the pagan group we are involved in is very eclectic and they are very internally pleased that unlike most groups that tend to be dominated by singles and weighted towards female membership, that they are 90% couples and there is almost an even split between the sexes. The average age is also 35+. This group is awesome and devoid of the usual drama and pagan politics that generally plague most groups and bring about their downfall. I love all of the members very much.

For those of you who are openly Poly, how do your pagan families accept your love dynamic? Are they blindly accepting? Exuberantly happy to have you? Do other couples shy away because they fear that you might take their man/woman? I’m just curious . . .

Most pagans talk of free love, but I have seen an entire group of 25+ member fall apart because one couple experienced “cheating” with one of the single members. Hysteria broke out and all the women got VERY territorial. O.O

As pagans we examine the duality of deity and the Universe but I have not experienced many groups that delve into where the poly-dynamic fits – especially in ritual.
I found that my kindred after me telling everyone what the life I lived they where more then excepting of that then I thought so but I am an elder member of the kin so that might of helped them knowing me first. It is hard in my area for me to find our other we r looking for and would be better if she was pagan as well. Being that me and my lady r in a new relationship and she's never done the poly relationship before as I have all my life. Had to explain that it's healthy and nothing wrong with it. Now she's more then on board. And advice would be great.

I found that my kindred after me telling everyone what the life I lived they where more then excepting of that then I thought so but I am an elder member of the kin so that might of helped them knowing me first. It is hard in my area for me to find our other we r looking for and would be better if she was pagan as well. Being that me and my lady r in a new relationship and she's never done the poly relationship before as I have all my life. Had to explain that it's healthy and nothing wrong with it. Now she's more then on board. And advice would be great.
Hi Odinsson,

There is plenty of advice for how to do polyamory properly and in the most satisfying, drama-free way, on this board. Just look at all the topic headings that appeal to you, and dive in to reading. If you have specific questions, feel free to start a new thread.

Otherwise, you could try reading the book Opening Up by Tristan Taormino with your new gf. It's written for singles or couples/poly networks and it lays out all the common issues and gives advice on how to overcome them.

Hi hi! Blessed Be and Merry Meet! Relatively new to polyam, at least fully committed to it, I've been Pagan for about 10 years now. I've always felt like a Pagan centric group would be the best place to find other polyamorous people. Maybe that's because everyone I know that's Pagan is also ENM or polyam. This always isn't the case though. My partner is atheist, but is very supportive of my spirituality. My close friends know I'm polyamorous, my parents and 6 out of 7 of my siblings do not know. Being a southern polyamorous witch is tough enough without the family drama 🤣

I'm very new to paganism, learning all about it ATM. I'm not in any groups or anything of that sort yet. Anyone welcoming newbies lol
Location is kind of key when looking for poly pagans :)

Lucky, that seems like a pretty neat place to be.

I think you’ll find Facebook pagan groups easy to plug into!

Back