NY Mag: What Open Marriage Taught One Man About Feminism

Interesting article! Some intriguing points on open relationships and being a feminist.

Some MESSED UP comments below the article, though I suppose that's just the Internet? Woah!

I rather imagine the landslide of negativity had more to to with the fact that the author heavily drew house husbandry into the discussion. That, and he didn't speak to his own extracurricular relationships at all, so he came off as super cuckolded, which the comments seem to address much more than the open relationship aspect. Polyamory wasn't in the piece at all. The wife in the article seems to be off enjoying sex romps while the husband stays home to tend the family. That's why the comments are so negative. If the article painted a picture of a truly open polyamorous marriage, I'd bet that the comments wouldn't be nearly as harsh. The author kinda describes every guy's worst nightmare of an "open relationship."

I rather imagine the landslide of negativity had more to to with the fact that the author heavily drew house husbandry into the discussion. That, and he didn't speak to his own extracurricular relationships at all, so he came off as super cuckolded, which the comments seem to address much more than the open relationship aspect. Polyamory wasn't in the piece at all. The wife in the article seems to be off enjoying sex romps while the husband stays home to tend the family. That's why the comments are so negative. If the article painted a picture of a truly open polyamorous marriage, I'd bet that the comments wouldn't be nearly as harsh. The author kinda describes every guy's worst nightmare of an "open relationship."

Good points. Agreed.

Back