Can I delete later if I want?

Do I have to wear turtleneck sweaters when it gets cold? I look funny in turtlenecks.

A thread I was following (in the Life stories & blogs section) seems to have been deleted.

I'm trying to find any info about how this works, on this forum. I too remember reading somewhere about this, but I can't find it now.

I noticed the OP's original question wasn't answered (I don't think?) in this thread.

So: are threads ever deleted, if the thread author changes their mind for whatever reason?

I understand we should not rely on this, that we have a 12 hour window to edit/delete posts ourselves, that we should anonymise posts, assume they are online forever etc. But, can they also be deleted on request?

I'm just curious. Thanks

My guess is: Probably, in theory, yes. Ask a mod/admin to delete your post/thread after the 12-hour window, and if they deem your request needful and appropriate, I'm guessing it's within their power to do it. However, I'll bet posts/threads older than 12 hours will only be deleted under extreme circumstances (circumstances which may have nothing to do with whether the mods/admins were asked). Serrriously unlikely, is what I'm getting at.

That's totally guesswork on my part and I am not at all an expert in such matters. But it might explain why the thread you were following disappeared despite the 12-hour window rule. For further info/correction of any misinformation on my part, I'll defer to the mods/admins who'll hopefully post here and let you know.

In response; I'm going to suggest asking ImaginaryIllusion.
Because-as a rule of thumb, no we don't go deleting threads.
But-I can imagine potential circumstances where it would be warranted.

I think pretty much the thing to do is contact the mods and/or admins. You can find them listed at: http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showgroups.php

By the way, if you essentially have two accounts, I think you can technically use both accounts though that's probably not the classy thing to do. I suggest just using the account you like best, and let the other account fade into the sunset.

I don't know if wiping out an account wipes out the posts posted on that account. If it does, that will make the mods/admins reluctant to delete the account. But you can still ask, of course.

ok sorry.

You said you were worried about drama happening from people finding your posts, and I just wanted to touch on that for a sec.

In my experience, a really good way to encourage drama is to worry about it. To try to stop it. To just express how you want it to be over.

Whether aggressive or passive-aggressive, trying to deflect drama inevitably only results in more drama, with rare exceptions.

In addition, being afraid of drama, and letting it shrink you will have a different effect. If all you struggle to do is avoid drama, evade it, hide from it, make it your sole mission to stay away from it, that can be a suffocating way to live. In the end, you're letting dramatic people rule your life and make you, in essence, a victim. You reduce yourself to an invalid, just to try to keep things quiet. Hear, speak, see no evil?

I'm not sure if anything I'm saying actually pertains to where you're coming from, but on the off chance I'm catching where you're coming from, I hope getting this out there helps. When there's drama afoot, it can be really daunting to open up and try to figure out how to make no drama. Opening up takes a lot of courage: opening up a relationship, but also opening up about something that burdens you inside. And yes, sometimes when you open up, you hear things in response that don't make things feel better. Sometimes you get drama in return, yes. That can't really be helped; dramatic people are out of your control. I can say this: in my experience, humble and personal as it is, if you have the courage to open up and really try to make something better for yourself, solving the problems you have in your life, it will be a difficult struggle, but there's no shortcut around personal growth and growing pains sometimes. You've gotta face a difficult, daunting decision head-on.

If you've got something to say, bring it out, pull all the stops, and let it fly. If you feel like it's better to keep it shut and digest it yourself, that's okay too. But stopping halfway, dead in your tracks, afraid of drama and judgment? Don't let that fear own you. That doesn't tend to go well.

Best wishes as always <3
Hmm

Last edited:
Back