Pet peeve: "sleeping together"

Of course you'll have the same problem if you literally discussed Uganda. ;)

Now when it's not sex you have to say, "We literally just slept together, and didn't have sex." I can't imagine how to fix the context to avoid this inconvenience.

I should! but I tend to forget... it's just so natural since I've shared beds with people I don't have sex with since forever, I didn't even thought of it until it started to sound funny to my college friends (whom with I also slept without having sex)

Speaking of literal, where I came from they use this expressions, not often but I find them hilarious:

-"I'll check your oil levels"
-"gratin the bread"
-"kill the rat with a stick"
-"mess the parrots hair" (or something)
-"stuff the turkey" (or actually stuff many things, the sandwich for example works too)
-"give the monkey a banana"
-"wet the brush"

:p

Last edited:
LOLOL, give the monkey a banana is my fave. :D

Can't say that "sleeping together" bothers me in the slightest, I use it all the time. "I was sleeping with MrS for 6 months before I admitted that we were in a relationship." But maybe that's because I tend to conk out immediately after a good orgasm - so I DO end up "sleeping with" most people after I have sex with them. (Although I also will share a bed with someone that I am not having sex with and will have sex with someone I am not sharing a bed with .)

Early on in my relationship with Dude we all were at a party at MsJ's (she is one of my long-time sometimes FWBs). I hadn't had a chance to talk to her yet about my new relationship status when she saw Dude with his hand in my back pocket as we were standing together. She said (teasingly)- "Get your hand out of her pocket unless you are sleeping with her!" - *dawning realization occurs*. To me: "How many lovers do you HAVE, girl?!":D

Dude is the king of corny sexual innuendo...usually involving his "Polish Sausage". I've learned to roll my eyes :rolleyes:.

As others have said "making love" is, to me, a subset of "having sex" - sometimes sex is just "fucking".

I also use the term "play" - not in the the BDSM sense, but in the light-hearted "sexy fun times" NSA sense. For me this doesn't necessarily include penetrative sex. I "play with" my boytoy, MrClean, on occasion, but I don't have sex with him, even though we sometimes share a bed for sleeping,. (Kissing, cuddles, teasing, rubbing, "dry humping", etc. but no contact with genitals.) I also "play with" my FB (Lotus's husband, TT) - which will generally include cunnilingus for me but no direct penis contact on my part - after which I generally fall asleep :D.

So, for me, different terms have different connotations depending on the circumstances. Generally pretty easy to determine by the context and the people involved, and I am always glad to clarify if necessary.

JaneQ

PS. For the curious, my personal boundaries with each person that I have any sort of sexual contact with are MY OWN boundaries with that particular person. Which I have disclosed, up front, with each of them and of which my other partners are aware. The only "agreements" involved are disclosure (if my boundaries should change) and condoms for penetrative sex outside of our polycule.

"We've been giving the monkey a banana for several months now."

"Wait, you've been getting it on?"

"No, we got an actual monkey."

---

"I always fall asleep after giving the monkey a banana. Have you seen how much that critter squirms when you're trying to feed him?"

;)

Say, "sleeping with someone" is used to imply you're having sex ... Is the same true of, "living with someone?"

;)

Say, "sleeping with someone" is used to imply you're having sex...

Saying sleeping with as a euphemism for having sex is stupid, I must reiterate.

I don't care if you ALWAYS fall asleep after an orgasm. That is irrelevant. Sleeping and fucking are two different activities. And just because YOU fall asleep after an orgasm or 20, doesn't mean the person who fingered, ate or fucked you also fell asleep next to you and had a nice nappie or a full night's sleep.

Be specific and don't be shy. If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to say, I had sex.

Or do you think you must call your cock your foot and your vulva the "good china" for some reasons of shyness, ladylikeness, "politeness" or "delicacy?" Grow up, it's 2015. Sex is good, sex is earthy, sex is fun. Do it, do it hard, do it well, do it often, and call it sex.

;)

Say, "sleeping with someone" is used to imply you're having sex ... Is the same true of, "living with someone?"

I can respect that this would be the conclusion that a lot of people would jump to. Perhaps if someone cared about the actual details they would inquire further instead of deciding for themselves.

I don't initiate conversations about my relationships generally, but would likely use similar terms as the members of the conversation for simplicity sake.

Makes me wonder how many people jump to the wrong conclusions in those types of casual conversations though!

I like to think of myself as mostly descriptive, not so much prescriptive ... such as observing that, "This is what some people do," rather than asserting that, "Those people shouldn't be doing that."

There's an old Alan Parsons Project song that mentions, "Living with somebody else." In the context of that song, you kind of assume that "living with" loosely infers both sex and cohabitation. Hence my question, as I was curious.

This popped up in my timehopper.

THE English language is smitten with sex. We have more words for it than we know what to do with.

Rumpy-pumpy, how’s your father, jiggery-pokery: these are just some of the coyer terms at hand. Despite the generous supply of euphemisms in the English language, there’s a Scots word that is far more vivid in describing, er, you-know-what.

Hochmagandy, also spelled houghmagandie, is a mildly coarse, schoolboy humour term that seems to immediately insinuate some sort of wrongdoing despite its cheerful sing-song meter. Rather than being a general word to describe the act, it more often refers to the sort of sex you shouldn’t be having (by 18th century standards): pre- or extra-marital.

http://m.scotsman.com/lifestyle/scottish-word-of-the-week-hochmagandy-1-3295491

"How's your father" is not something I've ever called sex, but this knowledge may make future conversations about a friend's ill father uncomfortable

"So, how's your father?"

"No thanks."

"Huh?"

Not humpy dumpy! Rumpy pumpy!

Humpy Dumpy sat on a wall,
Humpy Dumpy had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpy Dumpy back together again,
So they changed his name to Rumpy Pumpy and made a sandwich out of him.

I especially hate it when people say "play" when they mean fuck or have sex. "Play time" sounds like kindergarten to me.

I thought play reffered more to doing kink or BDSM.

What drives me insane is any use of Norwegian "kos" for sex, it roughly translates as cozy up or cuddle. Relaxing while having sex sounds like the biggest oxymoron to me.

That's why the bed is rocking back and forth, because we're so relaxed! ;)

I'm a fan of knockin' boots, myself. :)

But I never use "sleeping together" to describe sex because of the number of people I actually JUST sleep with. My metamour and I sleep together. Some of my friends and I sleep together. Some of my friends and I have sex together AND sleep together. And some people that I have sex with, I never sleep with.

If I'm talking to someone new, I usually will specify that "sleep together" actually just means "we slept in the same bed at the same time" to avoid that confusion. I wish we could just say "had sex with", it's so much easier.

Back