Kevin's Hetero MFM Poly-Fi V

Moving is so stressful! Congrats to Snowbunny on her new job!

Happy to hear Snowbunny got the job! Job-hunting can be extremely stressful and frustrating.

Wishing you find a nice enough place to live in soon and - good luck with the move! Your latest move is not in a very distant past so you might have the routine now so to say.

Last but not least, nice to know you are feeling better!

Yeah, I've got the moving routine down alright: "Expect wall-to-wall chaos, and pray." The silver lining here is that this is a local move -- to a nearby city -- not a move from New Mexico to Washington State. So, not like it has to all be done in one trip. Still not something I look forward to though, although my biggest worry is what the new place'll be like.

[shrug] I try not to obsess too much about the future, especially the parts of it that I can't influence more than I already have. We do communicate about what everyone wants (and feels they need).

Tiny Nitpicky Rant

I forgot where the thread is where we complain about grammar and stuff, so I guess I'll put this complaint here. My blog was getting lonely anyhow.

Aaaarrrrggghh!! If I see the phrase "throws of NRE" one more time I'm gonna scream. What are we doing, throwing NRE across the room? It's "THROES of NRE." THROES. Not throws. Thank you!

That is all.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_the_throes_of

Can I also rant? It's "should have" or its contraction, "should've." I'm going to hit the next person who writes "should of!"

Should of, would of, could of, etc. ... ridiculous. When did basic grammar become so obsolete? Even my mother (who pulled straight A's in school) now pulls the "should of" nonsense. Oh and she's not used to things, she's "use to" things, and she "use to" do this that or whatever. Used to! Used to! &*[)@##?+!

[headdesk] No problem folks, I'm fine; perfectly calm ...

What else ... getting its and it's mixed up ... getting their, they're, and there mixed up, getting whose and who's mixed up, spelling don't, can't, won't, etc. as "dont, cant, wont," etc. ... spelling the pronoun "I" in the lower case ... all the kewl texting style shortcuts ... Guguguguguh ... must ... not ... stick this fork in my eye ...

What else ... the dreaded wall of text ... one long paragraph ... or paragraphs separated only by single carriage returns, which is almost as bad ... endless run-on sentences with no periods or commas ...

Sound off if you can think of some more pet peeves! We're on a roll here. (Or is that "were" :rolleyes:)

The use of ellipsis to represent a pause, instead of the removal of a section of quoted text ;)

(Which I do too, and it drives my English Professor friend NUTS.)

I actually say "prolly" in real life. It prolly makes people nuts but I can't help it anymore. :)

Actually I hereby give everyone permission to mess up the English language ... on one condition! that they do it on purpose. *Know* what the proper usage is, and don't screw it up out of lazy ignorance.

Anyone who's read the last seven posts, has, no excuse.

Oh no! I suspect I may have been the instigator of this "throws" vs. "throes" thing! I will repent to the spelling Gods and ask for their forgiveness.

In the meantime, I will hang my head low in shame...as a fellow grammar aficionado, I am deeply regretful.

:rolleyes:

Well at least now I know there's not a new sport I wasn't aware of. "Hey, wanna play Throws of NRE? I'll throw the NRE at you, then you throw it back at me."

To repent, you'll have to say 17 Hail Strunks while crawling around your iPhone. Then your sins'll be washed away.

Special forgiveness is extended to all who confuse whether it's "who" or "whom." I'm not too skillful at that either, and understand it about as well as I understand vectors. Which ain't much. The only rule I can go by is, "Play around with the phrase with 'he' and 'him' in place of 'who' and 'whom.' If 'he' works better, use 'who;' if 'him' works better, use 'whom.'"

Any explanation more complicated than that just gives me a headache and blurred vision.

I have been cleansed of my sins!

What about too, to, and two? Come on, it's not that hard!

Special forgiveness is extended to all who confuse whether it's "who" or "whom." I'm not too skillful at that either, and understand it about as well as I understand vectors. Which ain't much. The only rule I can go by is, "Play around with the phrase with 'he' and 'him' in place of 'who' and 'whom.' If 'he' works better, use 'who;' if 'him' works better, use 'whom.'"

Any explanation more complicated than that just gives me a headache and blurred vision.

I found it much easier to distinguish "who" and "whom" after learning a second language. English is weird, because nouns and articles don't decline anymore, but pronouns still do.

In some British dialects, just 50 years ago, you could hear not just "he" and "him," but also "hine." In those dialects, "him" was only used when a man or boy is the indirect object of a verb. (Guess who used to goof off while writing term papers by listening to old sound files from the British library?)

Ooh ooh, I got a great one!

Example: "We had some fights in the beginning, but now things are going great between she and I."

I just pulled that example sentence out of my butt, but it does illustrate a grammatical error that often happens. Just think, the person who wrote the sentence is patting themselves on the back, saying, "Yeah, I said 'she and I,' not 'me and her.' Ooh and I said 'I' too. So much more sophisticated than 'me.'"

I guess I'll give that person partial credit (for decorum), but what they should have said is, "her and me!"

Look, it's real simple. Try the sentence without "she," then without "I." See how it sounds.

"We had some fights in the beginning, but now things are going great between she."

"She?" Wouldn't the right choice be "her?"

"We had some fights in the beginning, but now things are going great between her."

And the same thing goes for "I." Not automatically correct just because it's "more sophisticated."

"We had some fights in the beginning, but now things are going great between I."

Between I? Bzzzt! Obviously not correct.

"We had some fights in the beginning, but now things are going great between me."

Notice how much more correct it sounds with "me" instead of "I?"

And that's why the truly correct sentence would have read: "We had some fights in the beginning, but now things are going great between her and me."

Your latest lesson is now concluded. :)

How about ellipses that are only two dots long? What's up with that?

"This might be a short ellipsis.. and it might be a long period.. I'm not going to tell you.."

Back